“Best Family Trip!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
Reno, Nevada, United States
“Best Family Trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We love this resort! I would go back in a hear beat!!

It's on the water. The pool is AMAZING! Perfect for kids! My 4 yr old actually learned how to swim here (from his parents not the staff). The pirate ship splash area is so much fun and both kids spent hours here. It is walking distance to shopping and restaurants. You literally do not have to leave this resort once you check in. Everything is walking distance. Even the amazing snorkeling at nearby Black Rock.

The only negative thing I have to say, is I wish it had more of a kitchen set up. But we used the BBQ's and bought a griddle that we used for eggs and pancakes in the morning. So all in all we didn't miss the stove that much.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Mount Vernon, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went to the Marriott Maui Ocean Club with my Wife, Son, and in-laws. There were six of us all together. We booked two Oceanfront rooms. The rooms were fairly Small but beautiful. They had a king size bed and a couch with a pull out bed. There was also a patio where we sat outside in the mornings. The resort was huge and I never felt like it was crowded. I've stayed at other resorts in Hawaii and felt like they were overcrowded.

Resort/Pools:

The resort has several towers and is mostly timeshares. The grounds are very clean and easy to get around in. The resort is located a short drive from Lahaina, and a very short walk to Whalers Village shopping center. This is very convenient considering the small number of food options on the resort

FOOD:

The resort has only one restaurant, longboards. They also have a starbucks which also serves hot food and a snack shop near the pool. I did not eat there so I cannot review it but my in-laws did and they said it was very good. It's located beach front and even has a few tables in the sand. We ate at many nearby restaurants. We had Bubba Gump, Melting Pot, Leilanis (very good), hula girl, hard rock, and starbucks on the resort. Whaler's Village is a very nice little mall within 10 minutes walking along the beach with restaurants and ice cream and shopping. Plus there is an ABC store (BUY YOUR ALCOHOL THERE).

Activities:
This was my first time to Maui and it was an amazing experience. It is so calm and relaxing compared to Honolulu. I LOVE Honolulu but really needed to relax this vacation and Marriott made it easy. We did a sunset dinner/booze cruise, and the atlantis submarine. I wanted to go Snorkeling but the surf was too high. I also heard the road to hana is worth the day trip as well.

EXTRA:

Our flight got canceled going home :) so we stayed another night but this time it was in a two room Villa. This thing was INCREDIBLE. It was MASSIVE. Had a BEAUTIFUL kitchen, dining area and living room, 3 large HDTV's, a walk in shower, and a two person jacuzzi tub. We will definitely stay in one of these next time if it's available.

Overall the Marriott Ocean Club was an amazing experience and I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Maui.

Room Tip: Two Room villas are amazing and perfect for families.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Gatos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We are owners of 2 weeks at Maui Ocean Club. Luckily Marriott started the new points program so we got to spend 13 nights in a 2 bedroom ocean front suite in the Lahaina Villa. The facility is so well maintained. They paint things all of the time, keeping it so fresh. We had no problem finding chairs in the sun or in the shade whenever we wanted. We did notice one table that had towels draped on chairs and no one showed up for hours. We got to see lots of whales breeching, and lots of spouting almost every day. We were there after the holidays so not too many children and lots of quiet around the pools. I'm disappointed they added a Starbucks in favor of the great Marketplace they had before. I like Starbucks but now you have to go to Safeway or Foodland for simple supplies like bread and milk. Longboards is always a good restaurant to enjoy a sunset dinner. Menu hasn't changed in a long time but spareribs and fish are great and salads are always fresh. Glad we made this investment and can return each year or choose a different destination using our points.

Room Tip: Lahaina villa 5th floor and above gives you a great view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have owned at Marriott Maui Ocean Club since 2001. While I do have a couple concerns (people saving chairs for hours and never using them, lack of an "adult only" pool), for people that trade in or rent.... Of course you are not going to get the OCEAN FRONT unit on the upper floor. People who own an pay over $2000 owner dues per year will (and should) get those. The couple times we have traded our time we didn't get the best room. I'm looking forward to our visit in April.

Room Tip: Know the policy and what exactly you are entitled to.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This wasn't a bad stay for us - it just wasn't our best. On our most recent trip to Maui we split our time up between two locations in Lahaina. We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our trip, that we booked with points. My husband who travels often mentioned that since this is a time share property - they don't much care if you are platinum status or not... which he found very annoying. Which I understand if you are an experienced traveler used to perks.

I was/am currently pregnant with our first child - this resort is a family destination. I think I'd only really consider coming here again with a family vacation in mind. There are tons of families and kids everywhere (even at the adult pool) - and it seems like they do a great job of making it kid friendly. They have an activity schedule - for example a movie on the beach night... I think that is a great idea.

The Pool
The pools and common areas in my time there were always crowded, and ppl. woke up super early to "save spots". It was a tad annoying looking for space by the pool, especially when there are huge families vacationing at once ... we found ourselves searching for pool space while a Grandpa guarded 8 or more beach chairs at a time. We also noticed that many of the pool shade umbrellas were broken - which was certainly disappointing, I am fair skinned and need shade. I have been to other resorts that make a point to remove items "holding chairs" but I didn't see that here.

Grounds / Staff / Parking
Grounds are well manicured and the resort is HUGE. If you in the newest tower, which we were the parking garage is quite a distance from your room.... 8 minute or so walk. The staff here are friendly, but not like at other resorts I have been to. Usually any staff at other locations if you pass them while on the grounds - they will greet you - I didn't find that to be the case here. The towel attendants were more interested in talking with each other at the adult pool - then interested in serving the guest.

Room
I was happy with it - my Husband thought it was on the small side. We had an ocean view and the best part for me was sleeping with the sliding glass door open, fan on, and listening to the ocean. There was also a mini fridge - which kept what few drinks we had with us cold. There is also a DVD player in the room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at this facility through a timeshare exchange and were in the older Lahaina tower in a studio room. This tower is older than some of the others and rooms could use some updating. The room had a kitchenette with a microwave and small fridge. The room is small for 2 unrelated people when the sofa bed is pulled out for use. However, the view from the balcony was incredible. We could see whales breaching in the ocean and the sunsets were beautiful. The fitness center has 2 large rooms, one for cardio equipment and the other for weight machines, and all appeared in good condition.

Valet parking is $14/night however self parking is at no cost. I was surprised and disappointed to learn that there was a charge to use the computers/internet in the business center. Longboards is the only restaurant on site other than the pool bar. The food is of average quality thus it would be nice to have a variety of eating establishments on site. However, Whalers Village and Lahaina are close by. It is not easy to swim in the beach behind the Marriott as once you wade out a bit, the bottom is coral.

Tidy service was scheduled but never occurred. Maintenance was needed due to plugged toilet and it took 3 calls to resolve the problem.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Castle Pines, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We first stayed here in 1993 when this was a hotel. Marriott converted it to timeshare and we bought in the late 1990s so we could continue to stay here. We have timeshares with Marriott on Kauai and Oahu and have stayed in Marriott hotels on the Big Island and Maui in Wailea. The Maui Marriott Ocean Club easily tops them all in terms of aesthetic beauty and overall grounds and facilities. The Kaanapali area is simply beautiful. The views of Lahaina, Molakai, Lanai are nothing short of spectacular. The sunsets over Lanai defy description. The hotel itself is well laid out with pools, landscaping, sunbathing areas, activities, you name it. The only thing lacking is decent restaurants. Marriott gave this up when it converted. Longboard's is ok for dinner, but the Beachwalk and Pool Bars are less than average. This is offset by restaurants in the area. The facility also offers free wi-fi throughout the grounds and a free laundry. It is tough to get in here because owners use it but if you can, this is a must visit. We have not missed a year since 1993.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Marriott's Maui Ocean Club? Share your experiences!