“A Beautiful Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
new york, ny
“A Beautiful Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2005

We just returned home from Maui, and the Mahana, and hated to leave.

The Mahana is an extremely well kept, beautiful resort within a stone's throw from the ocean. Our room, 812, was a recently renovated (late 2004) room with granite countertops, ceramic tiles, new appliances and a great queen sized bed. We were a little more than 1/2 way up, and it was perfect. Quick elevators. Nothing obstructed our view, plus we could hear the ocean every night without any problem. (With or without the patio door open)

You can sit on the balcony and stare at the ocean all day and night. We saw beautiful sunsets and watched the moon set every morning at well. And the stars - it seemed like you could reach out and grab them.

Though you can't swim in the water directly in front of the hotel due to some large rocks in the ocean, go a few hundred feet either direction and you're all set. The beaches are very clean.

The Mahana is very quiet and not "busy" like some of the other beach area hotel areas. The pool is nice, and warm and was not crowded. BBQ's allow you to cook out right near the pool. There is a market across the street (about a 10 minute walk), or there is a Safeway up the street toward Lahaina.

I guess I would sum this place up as affordable,quaint, and convenient (10 min ride to Lahaina, 5 min to Whaler's Village, about 45 min to the airport when the road's aren't busy). We traveled all around the whole island, and if we were to return, we would stay here again among all the choices we saw. It was perfect for what we wanted.

• Stayed November 2005

1,344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Northridge,CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2005

Our very first visit to Maui was booked through travel agent and was booked into Mahana. We had 1 bedroom in the Lanai bldg. Room 817. Like everyone else, the views were awesome. Sounds of the ocean were very soothing. We were so excited to finally be in Maui, that we could have overlooked alot of negatives. It was clean and spacious, but needed updated, that is for sure. If you want a beach for swimming, you have to walk about 100 yds to left at airport beach. Too many reef like rocks in front of Mahana. You do get great views of both Molokai and Lanai. We did have a pleasant stay, but we weren't in our room much. Since then, we've been to Maui twice, and have booked our next visit. From all that I've been hearing, there is alot of updating going on. That can only be a plus when it is completed. If you want a a swimming beach and ocean front views, try Kahana beach. There are two condo resorts there that are very affordable and well worth the stay. Valley Isle Resort and Hololani. If you want a 2bdrm unit, you've got to try the Hololani. We are repeat visitors there and highly recommend it. Just look at the reviews on this web page.

Stayed May 2001
, Owner at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this review, November 21, 2005
Please note that the guest states that this November 2005 review is based on a May 2001 stay -over 4 1/2 years ago. The unit they mention, 817 was completely renovated in 2004.
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2005

I was worried sick about checking into the Mahana, after hearing horror stories of other condos on Maui. I read every review on TripAdvisor before making my reservation, and was almost sick in my stomach when my charge card was charged immediately for our full stay. Imagine my relief when we entered our one bedroom studio (513). It was spotless and tastefully decorated, but what truly wowed me were the amenities and view. We had unlimited ice, laundry detergent, dish detergent, dishwasher detergent, plates, soap, shampoo, lotions, etc. all provided. We immediately did a load of clothes and turned off the AC to sit outside on the lanai. Every night was a different sunset - pinks and golds, clouds and rainbows. I never heard one sound from the surrounding units or from outside. The staff were the most friendly and accommodating I've ever encountered. One of them actually took the time to get a map and show us a restaurant he takes his family to for breakfast (the Gazebo -- and it was wonderful, also -- topped off the only sea turtle I've ever seen in the wild!!). The maid was thorough and sweet. Our room was spacious and we did not see any bugs (another fear I had). The bed was a queen with the softest sheets and nice, fluffy pillows, and we ate every meal on the lanai. The trip was to celebrate my Mother's 75th birthday, and I can truly say the condo was so nice and cozy, that we often chose to stay in our room and watch the sunsets rather than eat out. We shopped at the Star Market and recommend the Old Lahaina Luau. Lahaina means "cruel sun," and I must say I hated every second spent shopping there. At night we left the patio door open and slept to the sounds of the ocean crashing below. I would definitely stay in this resort again and recommend it highly. After driving around Maui, I can honestly say this was the best location off Honoapiilani Highway. The resort is on a dead end and parking was always available. We hated to leave.

Christiansburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2005

We decided to stay at the Mahana after reading countless reviews on several hotels/resorts. This is my third trip to Maui; we previously stayed at the Westin and the Grand Wailea, respectively. This trip was for my 50th Birthday and we were travelling with another couple. I was so afraid that it might not live up to some of the reviews, but as soon as we walked into the door of unit 415; we were just delighted and awed by the gorgeous view of the ocean and beach. The unit itself looked like it had been recently renovated and was just beautifully decorated. We had a one-bedroom unit and it ended up having 2 full baths! We were only expecting one, so this was a very pleasant surprise! For the money, I just don't think you could find a nicer place. The pool is not great, but is okay. Not as fancy as some of the other resorts, but remember that these are private residences. We stayed on the go a lot sightseeing, so really didn't matter a lot to me.

A word of warning: if you smoke and think that you will smoke "outside on the balcony" forget it! It is not emphasized that this is a mostly no smoking property and you can be charged $250.00 if you are caught smoking on the premises except for a couple of designated areas! The other couple that we were with ran into a problem with this.

Overall, this was a great property and I would definitely recommend it to anyone, especially non-smokers!

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2005

We stayed for one week in unit #215. Unbelievable
views! Watched the sunset each evening. We were upgraded from a studio unit to a one bedroom. Found all personnel to be very nice and accomodating.
Would highly recommend and will definately consider when going to Maui on future trips.

• Stayed September 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

My wife and I stayed in room 413 at the Mahana for 15 nights from October 4 to October 19, 2005. We are a retired couple married 42 years. Owners had only recently renovated and upgraded the studio aparment. It appeared that only about 4 or 5 previous guests/families had occupied this unit since it was renovated. Everything was very nice! It had everything we needed from the range/oven, dishwasher, refrigerator (ice maker too!),
washer/dryer, television, VCR, AC, King size bed, etc. etc. Just like a real home. Daily maid service was great too providing fresh towels and guest supplies like a regular hotel. Only difference was that complete changing of bedsheets was done only every 4 days...no big deal.
The unit/room was perfect. The outside hallways, lobby, gardens, pool area etal were excellently maintained. Everyday someone was picking weeds, trimming bushes, etc.
And then comes the beach.. Short wading distance on this beach due to low underwater rocks about 30-40 feet out.
But it looks just like all of Kaanapali beaches...lovely! Walk 100 yards right or left and you'll find plenty of fine places to walk, sit, swim the surf without those rocks.
Watching those sunsets nightly from the lanai got us some great pictures. I even got "moonlight" (it was full moon on several nights) on the water pictures. Get ready for the sound of crashing surf..all night long!
As many other reviewers have pointed out...you are 10 minutes walking distance from a major large grocery store (Star Market) and a 10 minute or less walk to restaurants at either the Embassy Vacation Suites (a timeshare and a BIG one!) or ResortQuests Kaanapali Shores. The entire area is condominium after condominium and all seem in good repair.
Some construction re-facing the Mahana oceanside walls is continuing. We were in the building which was not being done during our visit. Be sure to ask for a unit not near the construction. They could be a little noisy.
All in all this is a great place to stay during a visit to Maui. Prices are reasonable based on a really "overpriced" Island of Maui. I guess you've got to pay for paradise, huh?
Just a quick footnote...you might wonder just what one of these units at the Mahana might sell for. I am a retired Realtor. During our stay one Mahana 2 bedroom unit was having an open house. We made the visit. Asking price for 1300 sq. ft.= $1,950,000. I asked the Realtor how much a one room studio would sell for (if one were available...Not!) . Answer: Approximately $650,000. Remember this is a 100% beachfront condominium. I think we'll just rent through ResortQuest Thank You!
I could ramble on more but I think it best that YOU go and find out for yourself knowing that The Mahana has this couples' 5 star rating.
Oh!...One more thing!....Thank you TripAdvisor for providing the BEST accomodation research website on the net! Really! It has helped us repeatedly pick the best places for our travels. Absolutely great! You deserve these accolades. Oh yeh...visit Pizza Paradiso near the Star Supermarket for the best pizza ever!!!!!!! Now I'm gone!

NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our 5 day trip to Maui. We loved the Mahana. Next time we will plan on staying much longer. Our one bedroom oceanfront suite was incredible. It felt like a real home. The kitchen was outfitted with all you'd ever need. There was a grocery store and shops within walking distance and a Safeway within easy driving distance. We did our own cooking and meals except for a couple of special nights out. Maid service was great, air conditioner worked really well, and we loved the sound of the ocean lapping on the beach as we fell asleep each night. The staff was always courteous and very helpful. The pool water was a little chillier than we were used to, since we are from Texas and the wind really blew a lot. Some renovations were in progress on the units on the far end of the resort, but this did not cause us any problems or inconvenience. We would certainly consider returning to this resort in the future.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Aston Mahana at Kaanapali? Share your experiences!