“Beautiful Suite views and Friendly Visitors” 5 of 5 stars

Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   110 Kaanapali Shores Place, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Grand Forks
“Beautiful Suite views and Friendly Visitors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom suite for a week and had a wonderful time.

Both the living room and the master bedroom looked out onto the beach. The master bedroom had its own sliding door to the lanai/balcony that connected to the living room.

The suite had a modern kitchen with stainless steel appliances. There were lots of dinnerware/cups/pots/pans. The hotel has direct access to the beach and a nice boardwalk running parallel to the beach for morning walks or runs.

You have to walk about 100 ft north or south to snorkel but it's worth it. Every time my girlfriend and I went snorkeling we saw a turtle. From the lanai, we could see turtles in the waves as they crested. The water can be pretty murky when waves are rough. Generally, the waves make the water murkier than the shores of Kihei (where we stayed before at another Aston property).

The location of the property is at the top of the island, so be prepared to do long drives if you want to explore the rest of the island. There is a grocery store and ABC store just up the street along with some local restaurants and shaved ice places. There's plenty of restaurants along the boardwalk as well.

As for the friendly visitors, we did find a couple geckos in our room. No big deal, just caught them and let them outside.

I wouldn't mind staying here again. All in all, beautiful view and nice for couples, friends or families who don't want to drive too much and want to relax.

Room Tip: I think suites have the better views, the higher up the better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to post your comments here at Trip Advisor. We're very happy to hear you had a wonderful time and that you found your unit to be spacious, provide spectacular oceanfront views and enjoyed the comforts of the fully equipped kitchen and washer/dryer. All units here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, whether studio, one bedroom or two bedroom, feature the private lanai and all the attributes you mentioned. We very much hope you found our staff to be as friendly as the geckos, which are very much viewed as good luck here in Hawaii.
We very much hope you can return again to enjoy another relaxing vacation here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali.

Mahalo, Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was a great place to stay. I stayed in a one bedroom on the 12th floor that had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, and living room. I could look out my balcony and watch the whales breaching. My brother and his wife stayed as well and they got upgraded to a two bedroom suite which was just as nice. They add a $40 resort fee that I didn't get any benefit from and the place is pricey but otherwise great place to stay, especially if you wanted to stay for a longer time..

Room Tip: The higher floors have a better view of the ocean. My brother's suite on 6th floor had ocean vie...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Aloha and mahalo for choosing the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali and we're very happy you enjoyed our spectacular views including the breaching whales we have during the winter and early spring months. I did want to clarify what we do charge here is an $18 per day amenity fee however we believe we do offer great value for this with the use of safe in the unit, daily newspaper delivered to room, coffee, tea and laundry detergent replaced as needed and unlimited use of the DVD Now kiosk for movies and games. As well, our property does not charge for parking nor the wi-fi provided in every unit (the building association is currently working with the provider to make sure the service is the best it can be). We very much believe that you will find this to be more than competitive with like properties in the area.
All of us here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali very much hope you will give us a second chance to show you the Aloha Spirit again.

Mahalo for your comments and suggestions as it always helps us to get better.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The Ashton combines hotel amenities with the comforts of home. Every morning I woke up, made a pot of coffee, sat on my own private balcony and enjoyed a scene right off a postcard. There are beautiful views of the ocean, surfers, whales, and turtles. You have your own refrigerator, kitchen, microwave, and washer and dryer. Which makes it very easy to be able to relax in the condo and just enjoy the view without having to go out and pay high prices for dining. If you are interested in eating out there are many restaurants around the area though. The staff is very accommodating and friendly, and movies are free during your stay. It was a very relaxing place to stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha and mahalo for choosing the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali for your time here on the beautiful island of Maui. We're so happy to hear that we accomplished all of our goals judging by all the nice comments you posted here. We're especially thrilled that our staff was both accomodating and friendly. Spectacular views, great service, comforts of home and a relaxing vacation are all things we do our best to provide which means we exceeded all your expectations.
The entire staff here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali very much looks forward to seeing you again soon.

Mahalo and take care.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I spent five nights over Christmas at the Aston Mahana. We generally agree with the many positive reviews here of the rooms and public areas. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The fact that there is no restaurant or bar did not bother us. Incidentally, there is a food stand in the hall near the pool where you can get coffees and casual breakfast and lunch stuff.
We were on the 7th floor in a one-bedroom suite. It was very comfortable and well equipped, although there was one oddity we noticed. The entertainment center has a flat screen TV, a game console (don't know which kind), and a DVD player. The DVD power wouldn't come on so we asked for help. Someone came within half an hour (good service) and said that the DVD wasn't hooked up and that we should use the game console as a DVD player. Who knew? The console did play a DVD but it wasn't up to choosing options (subtitles). If you have a DVD player, why not hook it up? All the cables required to do that were sitting in their original plastic wrapping on top of the player.
Back to the important stuff, I chose this place because of its proximity to the ocean. I love the sound of the surf, especially going to sleep and waking up to it, and boy, do you ever get that here! The only way to be closer to the ocean would be to sleep on the beach.
But my second criterion for an ocean front hotel is a beach where you can wade into the water, swim as little or as much as you like, and be safe. If that's what you're looking for, you won't find it here. You cannot enter the water here because of the rocks. A sign at the entrance to the beach (see picture posted with this review) directs you to go 150 yards down the beach to the left for swimming and 125 yards for snorkeling (similar to the right). We set off to the left and entered the water where there was a large group of snorkelers. We couldn't find a spot without rocks to enter the water, so we braved it. The surf, although it looks fairly harmless, will surprise you. It's very strong, and although we did succeed in getting into the water, we lost a lot of dignity trying to get out of the water when we were done. I ended up sitting (not by choice) and being pushed around by the surf, and my bathing suit was filled with sand! In addition, this part of the reef, although it does have a fair number of fish, is pretty much bereft of live coral.
So the statement in the Mahana brochure -- "A live coral reef lies just in front of the property and the snorkeling is fantastic." -- does not tell the whole truth. The brochure also shows a couple joyfully running into the surf, suggesting that they are doing this right in front of the hotel.
If you want to swim or snorkel nearby, your best bet is to go south (toward Lahaina) to Kahekili Beach Park -- 1.3 mile drive to the parking lot (Kai Ala Drive), or you can walk to it on the beach or the Beachwalk. Plenty of safe places to enter the water and the reef here has more live coral.
There is a mandatory amenities fee ($15 at the time, now a few dollars more). You pay it whether you want the amenities or not.
WiFi was very, very slow. I was not able to download and play videos from YouTube.
We enjoyed our stay but won't go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and mahalo for posting your comments on your recent stay at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali. We are thrilled to hear that you found our staff to be pleasant and helpful as that is always our goal and that you found our second to none location steps from the beach to be have provided you with the spectacular oceanfront views and soothing sounds you so enjoyed.
As you also found out, all of our units are very comfortable and well equipped with full kitchens and washer/dryer for added convenience.
You are correct that we don't recommend swimming and snorkeling directly in front of the property but that is because we are working with conservation groups to protect the reef. The reef is one of the reasons our guests are treated with year round marine life views with sea turtles, fish and of course during the season from December thru May, the humpback whales. During the winter season, the surf can be a bit more rough however this is throughout the islands and not isolated to our area. We always recommend that guests check the conditions at any spot before entering the water.
All of us here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali endeavor to exceed the expectations of all our guests by keeping our quality and well appointed units clean and in good working order, showing the Aloha Spirit to everyone we encounter and of course by providing the absolutely beautiful views of the marine life right in front, colorful rainbows and the daily sunsets appearing right across the way between the neighboring islands of Molokai and Lanai.
Mahalo again for taking the time to post your comments.

Lenexa, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I recently visited the Aston Mahana condos for two weeks. The oceanside (you are about 50 feet from the ocean at high tide) location and views are great, but:remember that while they will quote you a certain daily rate, taxes and the $15 amenity fee will add approximately another 12% to that daily rate. I had to close the patio door (rather than use the screen only) each night because the sound of waves of the incoming tide were so loud. I requested and received a more upgraded studio. The kitchen had all the equipment I needed to cook my meals (I visited the Fish Market for fresh fish, located about 1/2-mile away, and Safeway, on the highway shortly after you reach Lahaina). I would go back for another visit. However, while the housekeepers each day were very accommodating, my tile floor was not swept nor cleaned the entire two weeks I was there. And I wish they would consider using only mattress covers that fit the bed (I had one for a double bed on my king-size bed as well as a second one that was king-size) and a fitted sheet for the bottom sheet as I see in even cheaper hotels on the mainland (the flat sheet would come out from under the mattress every time I got into bed, so I would have to stick it under the mattress again or ended up with the sheet bunched uncomfortably under me). In addition, perhaps it was only my condo, but the TV was on a normal height TV stand and could not be viewed while laying in bed - I had to sit up to see the screen (I wish they would have considered using a cabinet that would also hold the book that were stuffed into each of the night stands). I rented a car, but think this location would be a challenge if you relied on the Maui bus service to get you around.

Room Tip: Higher floors (9-12) may not get the noise of the ocean and have a view that would not be partially...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to post your comments here on your recent stay at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali here on TripAdvisor. We will definitely use your suggestions on the linens and housekeeping to bring our service levels to an even higher level. Unfortunately the taxes are something charged by the state of Hawaii that neither Aston nor the owner benefits from however for the amenity fee charged here we believe we are providing a great value with use of the safe in the unit, daily newspaper, coffee, tea, laundry detergent and unlimited use of the DVD Now kiosk in the lobby for movies and games. As well, our property does not charge for parking nor wi-fi available in every unit.
We are very happy to see you found our location and oceanfront views to be great and got use of the fully equipped kitchen we provide in every unit. We also have washer/dryer in every unit for our guest's convenience. While most guests find the ocean sounds to be soothing and restful we are sorry if this disturbed your relaxation.
All of us here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali very much hope you will give us another chance in the future to show you the Aloha Spirit and exceed your expectations.

Shingle Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We have stayed at the Mahana four of the last eight years and have loved the experiences. On one trip, we had our two sons with us but they grew up and since then it has just been my wife and myself. The buildings (there are two of them and hence the name which means Twins in Hawaiian) are beautifully situated as close to the water as can be. Every condo looks out over the ocean. On our just completed trip we were to treated to watching a sea turtle feeding on the reef right off of our lanai and on several occasions we were able to enjoy whale watching without leaving the condo. There is no restaurant or bar service on the property (good or bad-- your pick!) but there are several spots within a five or ten minute walk. There is a decent market about a fifteen minute walk away and the prices are very competitive by Hawaii standards. It is a short drive to Lahina, great golfing, and wonderful walks in a Hawaiian paradise.
Why not a five rating?? One other reviewer said the room was hideous, well, it probably was. The condos are individually owned and decorated. We are not real foodies but we do like to cook. We have been in some units that met all of our cooking needs but others that did not. You will either need to be assertive about what you are looking for or accept the Aloha spirit.
Would I recommend this spot to a friend--most certainly!! Will I be returning--most certainly (God willing)!

Room Tip: The higher you are the better chance you have to see over the palms. Tell the people at the front wh...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Aloha and mahalo for choosing the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali for your time here on the beautiful island of Maui. The entire 24 hour front desk, daily housekeeping and on-site maintenance staff are thrilled to hear that you both recommend the Mahana but also that you will be returning to receive the Aloha Spirit from us again.
You are very much correct that every unit here is privately owned and for the over 125 units here in the Aston rental program they all need to meet the same high standards for the condition of their units. Of course, every unit here at the Mahana has the same spectacular oceanfront views of various marine life, sea turtles year round and humpback whales seasonally, colorful rainbows and the most beautiful sunsets appearing with the backdrop of the neighboring islands of Molokai and Lanai. As well, all of the units have fully equipped kitchens and washer/dryer for our guest's comfort.
Our quieter location here steps from the beach does not have a restaurant but we do have complimentary gas grills at the pool/jacuzzi deck plus a coffee cart in the lobby for drinks and simple meals. We are also a short walk or drive from many shopping and dining options.
We very much look forward to your return where we can exceed your expectations again with a relaxing vacation and spectacular views.

vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I can't recall ever having as a relaxing time as I had at the Mahana. Our room was booked privately and from some of the reviews we lucked out and our condo was well appointed, comfortable (except the pull out bed) and the views are really unparalleled. We saw all kinds of turtles and whales!

We had room 612, a one bed room condo that was furnished nicely, had all the odds and sods we needed. The only complaint was the sofa bed was very uncomfortable. Luckily for me the bed was very comfortable (daughter slept on couch).

I liked that parking was free and the room had a computer and wifi. Also liked all the extra touches like the boogie boards, flippers, and beach chairs. We also liked the games, and ended up playing several of them which added to the family experience. My only suggestions is that a couple of beach towels might be nice.

We found that we ate in much more than we had anticipated and actually preferred it to eating out. I found the cost of eating out in Maui rather expensive, even for a casual dinner. I know others complain about the lack of a restaurant in the hotel but it really didn't in any way detracted from our overall experience. We would buy fresh fish from the "Fish Market" and has the most marvellous meals!

The thing about the Mahana is it is not a place where there is much activity. It is a laid back, casual and relaxing place. If you want a place that is high energy this isn't it. We really enjoyed the lack of stimulus and not having to fight for a spot on the beach, or near the pool. If you want more activity go over to the hotel next door which you have the ability to do so as it is part of the Aston chain.

We didn't rely on the concierge for much. I have found in the past that the activities they promote are costly and i find easier to book directly online. We did a couple of excursions and booked directly with the company.

Overall we would not hesitate to rebook and recommend the room we had!

Room Tip: our room was aces 612
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Aloha and mahalo for posting your comments here on TripAdvisor about the Mahana at Kaanapali. You are very much correct that our second to none location here steps from the beach provides for a tranquil spot for all to enjoy the same relaxing vacation you had. Every unit here at the Mahana has the same absolutely spectacular oceanfront views, fully equipped kitchens and washer/dryer for our guest's convenience.
In the Aston rental program here all of our units must meet the same high standards for the condition of their units and of course our 24 hour front desk staff is here to answer questions for our guests and pass out complimentary pool towels which which our daily housekeeping staff also stocks in the unit prior to arrival. Both our daily housekeeping staff and on-site maintenance are also here to ensure all of our units are clean, comfortable and in working order.
All of us here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Mahalo, Brian

Been to Aston Mahana at Kaanapali? Share your experiences!