This is a basic resort, really a hotel or condo unit, on the south edge of Lahaina, walking distance to Banyan Tree Square and the harbor. Our room (#228) was booked through a travel agent, but I understand from other comments here that you can also book through sites like VRBO. We were told that the hotel had been recently completely renovated, but our room was not. Yet it was clean, had a kitchen w/ dishes, pans, etc, a patio, and a good bed -- everything we needed. We were on the mountain side, and sometimes the traffic was noisy, but the patio doors were very sound proof.
The what is unique about this facility is it's location and it's beach. It's conveniently located on the island, with fairly easy access to both the east and west sides of the island. Maalaea might be better, and Kihei might also be good, but I have no idea what's available there. Lahaina is a nice, small town, and it was great to be able to have easy access there day or night.
The beach, too, is unique. Totally different from the impeccably maintained beaches of the resorts further north. More like the natural beaches that run in front of the many homes of its neighbors further along Front Street. There is a reef some distance out from shore that runs all along the beach, which means that there is absolutely no surf. The beach itself is sandy, but the ocean bottom is rocky once you get out a bit. All of which means it is great for sunbathing, beach walking, standup paddle surfing, etc., and wonderful for young children who love to play in the sand and at the water's edge. But if you are looking for waves and surf and a boogie board spot, this isn't for you.
In short, if you are looking for a single destination spot that has everything -- if you want to stay put in one place for your vacation time -- then you would probably be happier with one of the resorts further north. But when we vacation, our hotel is our "home base" from which we explore the area, and this was perfect. We explored several of the beaches to the northwest, and swam and snorkeled there. Enjoyed the aquarium to the east, watched the surfers on Hookipa beach to the north, and hiked the waterfalls along the Hana Road to the east. And strolled the shops, galleries, and restaurants of Lahaina in the evening. Wonderful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to oceanfront living right in the heart of Lahaina Town. Lahaina Shores Beach Resort is a landmark in historic Lahaina town. This ocean front condo resort features spacious studio, one bedroom and one bedroom penthouse condos with full kitchens and oversized lanais. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Lahaina Shores Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lahaina Shores Beach Hotel Lahaina
- Lahaina Shores Maui
- Lahaina Shores Beach Resort Maui