We come and stay at the Papakea almost every year. The grounds area beautiful and overall it is quiet and relaxing here.
Location: It is close enough to Whaler's Village and Kaanapali (5 minute drive) to allow you to go and enjoy the areas and attractions easily, yet you are not in the center of the action, which allows you to enjoy some peace and quiet. Lahaina is 10 minutes away by car, and easily accessable for meals or shopping. There is a small retail shopping center across the street from Papakea, including a full grocery store, small restaurants, coffee shop, water sports rentals, etc.
Grounds: The Papakea has a nice pool area complete with BBQ pits. A small putting green and plenty of room to throw a football or play frisby completes the area. At low tide there is a small sandy beach in front, but it is best to walk 50 yards down and enjoy the flatter beach in front of Kaanapali Shores resort. The grounds are always clean and well manicured. There are some cats that hang near the BBQ pits and roam the grounds, but they are never aggressive or troublesome, and do their best to avoid people by hiding in the bushes.
Rooms: The rooms we have stayed in are like most others in this area... a little dated, but always clean and comfortable. The resort is 40 years old, and has been redone once or twice since it was built. This is not like staying at a new Westin or Ritz-Carlton of course. However, you are not paying that kind of price either. For the money I think that Papakea is a great deal. If you are looking for a comfortable room with a kitchen, living room, balcony, and a great place to relax and enjoy some peace and quite... then Papakea is for you.
I have read some reviews that complain about the dated rooms, cats outside, etc.... let me say this.... if you are wanting to experience a new hotel resort and spa, with a buffet and restaurants in it, and daily maid service, then this is not for you. Try the Sheraton, Westin, or the Hyatt. If you are looking for a quiet place to hang out and enjoy being in Maui rather then at home, enjoy driving to the popular places to hang out, but come back to somewhere less noisy and crowded. Then again, Papakea is for you.
- Also Known As:
- Aston At Papakea Hotel Lahaina
- Papakea Resort
- Aston At Papakea Hotel
- Resortquest Papakea Resort
- Papakea Resort Maui
- Papakea Maui
- Resortquest Papakea
- Aston At Papakea Resort Maui/Lahaina
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A garden paradise on "The Magic Isle". This picturesque oceanfront resort is nestled amid 13 acres of lush tropical landscaping and expansive lawns bordered by flower-lined paths. The resort offers a variety of on-site amenities and activities - with restaurants, galleries and shops of Lahaina and Kaanapali Beach just moments away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Amex, Booking.com, Aston Hotels & Resorts, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Otel, Venere, Fareportal , Agoda and HotelsClick so you can book your Aston at Papakea Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.