“Overall a great resort experience, small, quiet and great staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aston at Papakea Resort

You added Aston at Papakea Resort to your Saves list
Aston at Papakea Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3543 Lower Honoapiilani Hwy, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761 (Formerly ResortQuest at Papakea Resort)   |
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Whitefish, Montana
“Overall a great resort experience, small, quiet and great staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed in unit F102 the first 2 weeks of april. It is an ocean front unit and so a great location. Sadly, the owners seem not to care much about the condition of the unit. Cracked tile in the front, interior needed paint, maintenance, etc. So, while we will continue to come to Papakea, in fact have already booked for October for a week, we used VRBO to find the unit we wanted rather than just taking pot luck so to speak. By the way, the staff was very pleasant and cordial and housekeeping was great. The resort has large and nicely landscaped grounds which are generally uncrowded, especially as compared with the many megaresorts along the beach to the south which can be overflowing at times.

Room Tip: It is a good idea to use a service such as VBO to look at the room before booking as the quality ca...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Let me start by saying this place is NOISY. Despite sleeping with ear plugs, I was awoken every morning by some kind of maintenance outside my bedroom window - sidewalk cleaning machine, weed whacker, lawn mower, incessant beeping from large equipment that appeared to be permanently backing up. All this starts at 7:30 am or so and continues till noon (afternoons, incidentally, are fairly peaceful, so you can nap to catch up on lost sleep). On that basis alone, I would never return to this resort. However, there are other reasons not to return.

I book at Aston because there is a certain consistency of quality I expect. Given the prices at Papakea, if anything I expected somewhat higher quality. However, much to our surprise, as it turns out, this is actually a vacation rental by owner, which Aston happens to manage. That means every unit is vastly different, in terms of its décor, upkeep, and kitchen equipment. The first unit we were in was entirely unacceptable. Besides being a one-bedroom plus loft (NOT a two-bedroom that we reserved, though Aston considers this a two-bedroom), it was an odd layout, there were only three chairs for dining, the kitchen was ill-equipped, and the furniture and carpet was old & musty.

The good news is that Aston was extremely accommodating and booked us in another, more acceptable unit the next day. While I did not appreciate that we did not have Aston service onsite (we had to call the next day), I did appreciate that Aston was responsive during posted hours.

Summary: This property is WAY OVERPRICED for what you get, and it is VERY NOISY.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Rockaway NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We have been to Papakea on several occasions. We have used Misty at Maui Dreams Come True for each visit. We stayed in H301 each time as well. Nice condo unit. Not overly great but very acceptable. We will be going back in December for the holidays.
Looking forward to the upgraded unit as Misty has described.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I read the reviews here and on other sites which made me unsure about choosing this hotel. It seemed that customer service and noise were issues for many travelers, but I thought it couldn't be that bad right? It's Maui, after all. Wrong. I was looking for a quiet relaxing hotel and THIS IS NOT THAT PLACE.

Overall the hotel is okay. It's a bit nicer than a Holiday Inn but with more amenities. The condo/room has a remodeled kitchen with full appliances and kitchenware which was nice. The furniture is tired and worn as others have mentioned. A decorative throw on the bed had stains. (Ick!) The wifi didn't work when we arrived and we had to call the cable company to arrange the repair since this is not the responsibility of the hotel.

Aside from some minor issues we had a pleasant stay in the beginning. One problem was that the peace and quiet was interrupted daily by leaf blowers, lawn mowers, pressure washers, weed trimmers, hedge trimmers and other maintenance noise. The noise started as early as 7:30 am and continued on for hours. Apparently Tuesday is lawn mowing day and the mowing began at 8 am and was still going on when we left the hotel at noon. I understand and appreciate the need to do grounds maintenance but this is excessive.

My experience with the front desk and housekeeping staff was fine overall. However, the security staff was not so nice. Specifically Jett.The general attitude is that the customer is always wrong. Other reviewers have mentioned that the security staff will "write you up" or reprimand you. This was unbelievable to me until I experienced it myself and saw other guests experience it as well. I was treated like an armed criminal for sitting on a lounge chair where they wanted to mow. I was threatened to be removed from the grounds and then removed from the premises. Seriously? All I did was tell them that they should mow during off peak hours when it's less disruptive to guests. This security guard's berating and unfounded accusations stopped when I turned on my cell phone's video camera to record the incident.

Yes, we know that there are difficult people in this world, but don't treat everyone like they are.

I regret staying here.

Room Tip: Bring noise cancelling headphones.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The apartment was OK but nothing fancy. However, when I checked in, there was no electricity to any of the units so I had to lug suitcases up 2 flights of stairs. Then a few days later, when we got out of bed there was no water. I tried to call the front desk and kept getting a busy signal, so I walked down to ask about it. I was told that the entire property had no water but I was welcome to take a cup from the water dispenser in the lobby. Seriously? No coffee, shower or brushed teeth until 2:00 in the afternoon. No offer from the hotel for remediation. I don't think I've ever stayed (until now) in a hotel that didn't provide the very basic needs for survival!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This condominium hotel has been given various ratings on Trip Advisor possible due to the nature of the beast as individual suites are in many cases privately owned and upkeep is the owner’s responsibility (I am sure there are minimum standards). As I looked around in other condos when walking outside, each condo unit is different (different furniture, flooring, appliances and outside furniture).

Fantastic ocean view. The view included the sea and the lovely landscaped gardens of the resort, I think this was probably preferable to a direct seafront unit which did not face on to the gardens. We had 3rd floor condo. Interior very dated, really old furniture and the A/C hardly worked at all. The balcony was awesome and normally had the screen open for a nice cross breeze. We actually stashed many of the dry flower arrangements which covered the unit. Kitchen and bathroom fairly nice. If you plan to cook in your condo, ABC store and Time Supermarket is walking distance to the resort.

There is no fitness centre on site but you could go the resort next door and pay $10 US to use all day. The pools were great. One pool was heat and the other was not. We did not find that out until the end of the vacation. The hot tubs are huge which provided plenty of space with other folks. Plenty of BBQs next to the pools The place overall is very homey and not busy like other resorts. It was a very family friendly resort and directed toward families and seniors. A lot of people have mentioned about parking issues but I had no trouble finding a place to park.

El Cerrito, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Fantastic ocean view. We had bottom floor corner condo. View excellent.
Interior very dated, really crummy furniture - bamboo couch and one chair. Couldn't comfortably seat the three of us. Sofa bed was worn out, master bed also worn out.
We actually stashed many of the dry flower arrangements which covered the unit.
Kitchen and bathroom fairly nice.
Interestingly there was a big construction project involving pipe laying on the grounds right outside our room. The first night the guys left this gigantic machine on the grounds which blocked views...the next night I was the person that asked them to relocate it for the weekend and they were VERY nice and obliging. Front office a bit defensive.
Would not return there.

Room Tip: I would have to request an updated condo. I feel as though the owners of this unit were heavily int...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Aston at Papakea Resort? Share your experiences!