Made reservations over 6 months in advance and advised that we were coming for our honeymoon. We booked an ocean sideview room with a king sized bed in the Dolphin Building and requested a second floor unit if possible. Upon arriving, we were informed that the owners of these units were occupying them and that all that was available were first story units further back from the ocean. When we requested something a little closer to the ocean we were essentially advised that this was the best they had. After reluctantly accepting the keys, we were apprised of the various fees for use of the safe, phone and parking lot and a fire and brimstone speech about the perils of losing the rationed out beach towels. Upon entering the very small, narrow and dated unit that resembled a college dorm room, my wife was startled by a colony of ants parading around the counter top and the overpowering stench of animals in what was apparently a pet friendly unit.
I was additionally bowled over by the intense heat and the fact that our "king sized" bed was a queen sized Murphy bed that you had to pull out of the wall. To the front desk's credit, after calling the front desk regarding the non functioning air conditioning and insect problem,they sent staff quite quickly to remedy the problem. The gentleman who fixed the A/C problem advised that the A/C mechanism connected to the lanai sliding doors had been disconnected (no doubt by the greedy and lazy owners)and proceeded to fix it. The staff who came to remedy the bug problem merely sprayed the entire counter surface (where we would presumably cook our meals) with Raid and left without cleaning the dead ants off the counter. Although, a non smoking room I found it ironic that the owners would be so intolerant of tobacco smoke and yet allow the stench of animal urine and fur to permeate their "home". I would not have minded the non functioning A/C as I realize this is the tropics, however, my wife and I are both allergic and asthmatic and required some ventilation and relief from the animal smells. Regarding the ants, sorry folks. There's no excuse for this in light of the money we paid for the room. If I didn't mind bugs, I'd go camping. I've spent many vacations in the tropics and have never had to contend with bugs. Also, upon examining the bottoms of our bare feet, we observed them to be black with filth and whatever dirt had been left by housekeeping. After calling the desk again to please assist us with finding a cleaner unit for us, they advised that they "may have another similar unit tomorrow" but could not make any promises. This was not what we wanted to hear. The following day, after a sleepless night in the small uncomfortable bed, sub par breakfast at that glorified greasy spoon Castaways and a dip in the paint chipped swimming pool, we decided to call our travel agent to clarify the terms of our booking agreement. Mercifully, the agent advised us that we were only paid up for one of the 7 nights at this place. Looking at the clock, we saw that we had only a half hour to gather our luggage and check out of this God forsaken place. Prior to doing so, I consulted the Maui Revealed book (the Blue Bible) and decided to call Kahana Village a mile up the road (see my review for this "Real Gem"). Manager Vicki Betts was an absoute angel of mercy and offered us a beautiful two bedroom condo on the beach for approximately $20 less per night than MKV.
Do yourselves a favor folks, stay away from this persnickety, flea bitten nickel and dime flop house and don't listen to the hype which is probably written by MKV condo owners. If it were possible to give a 0, I would.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This may be Kaanapali's finest beachfront setting. Resting amid 11 acres of exotic tropical gardens in the heart of the Kaanapali Resort area, the resort has an on-site water activity center, two newly-renovated pool areas and a free shuttle to Kaanapali Resort area shopping and activities. The poolside cafe features island cuisine accompanied by an expansive wine list. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Odigeo so you can book your Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas Hotel Lahaina
- Resortquest Maui Kaanapali Villas
- Aston Maui Kaanapali Hotel
- Maui Kaanapali Villas
- Resortquest Kaanapali Villas
- Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas Lahaina