“Very Nice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas

You added Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas to your Saves list
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Kai Ala Drive, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761 (Formerly ResortQuest Maui Kaanapali Villas)   |
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
“Very Nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2004

I just returned last week from a visit to Maui where my husband and I stayed at the MKV. We really liked this place. Our room was very large and very clean. We found the hotel staff to be very helpful. I asked where to find the laundry room and our housekeeper walked me to it rather than just tell me. The grounds were beautiful and worked on each day. The beach in front was great, not very many people at all. We walked several times to go snorkling towards Black Rock. We ate at the Castaway Cafe and while the food was good our waiter was not that personable however the other waitress seem to be very nice. I agree with the person who said there was no pressure in the showers and our mattress was somewhat hard. It is geared toward adults which we enjoyed we are in our 20's and loved the place. If/when I return to Maui I will stay at the MKV, I got a great rate and the place was clean and wonderful. Very quite and relaxing!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Somewhere near the Pacific
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2004

We just got back (yesterday, Sep 26, 2004) from a stay on Maui at the Ka'anapali Villas. I have to agree with the past few contributors that this place was restful and quiet, but definitely not boring in the least. We were in a studio (full kitchen, king-sized bed and queen-sized sleeper sofa, large bath) garden view end-unit (# 257) overlooking the back pool and beautifully manicured garden setting. No ocean glimpses (which we were hoping for since the last time we had been on Maui, the lots in front of the MKV were vacant, but new houses have been built), but the landscaping is wonderfully tropical and listening to the wind rush through the tall coconut palms while sitting on the lanai eating dinner is pure heaven on earth.

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was a bit hesitant about the "aloha spirit" I would find there, but I have to say that whoever had problems with the staff at MKV must have brought their mainland "issues" with them. From check-in to housekeeping to maintenance, I found everyone smiling, helpful, and willing to go the extra mile to make our stay pleasant. Heck, even the activities desk manager (Dawn) was full of info and smiles - of course, we DID actually BOOK a couple of things through her rather than just try to use her as a "free" tour guide.

We did eat at the Castaway Restaurant the first night, right after check-in (we arrived late) and found it to be charming. We ate on the terrace, which was refreshing, but without too much of a view. The price , considering the huge portions we received, was reasonable for a Maui restaurant. I had the calamari "pupu platter" and these were the sweetest, most tender fried calamari I have ever had.

We did do quite a lot this time:

A sunset snorkeling trip to Lana'i on Trilogy (I rate okay, my partner says it was the best);

snorkeling off of the Ahihi reserve at an area called "Aquarium" (long drive from Ka'anapali, need to get up early to get there at dawn, but definitely worth the effort - whole schools of fish and a wide variety - even eel, sponges, octopus, tuna, and of course, humuhumunukunukuapua'a);

a drive upcountry to Makawao, Kula, and Ulupalakua Ranch (overrated and expensive little shops - cute and different if you don't want to go all the way up to the top of Haleakala);

while in upcountry, we did stop by the "Surfing Goat Dairy" which, if you like goat cheese, you'll love this place ---- it doesn't look like much as you drive into it, but take the little tour (We had John who was entirely empassioned about his work and the goats really seemed to like him too) and taste their array of products and you could end up, as we did, buying quite a bit of their cheeses;

A day-trip (car/drive) over to the island of Moloka'i on the Moloka'i ferry (not a bad price, but there is absolutely NO time to really do anything, and the ride back is REALLY bumpy and with little to no air-conditioning in the cabin, a very uncomfortable ride);

The Feast at Lele is one lu'au that we would whole-heartedly recommend, even tho it's a bit pricey. I wouldn't recommend it as a "beginner's lu'au" since the dancing is a bit more "serious" and there is no running auditory to explain the dances and/or reasons that one is enjoying such a gustatory feast and visual spectacular. But, for a thoroughly enjoyable evening with tables for two, excellent service, copious amounts of food and drink, it is well worth the price and tip;

Finally, the Kaheli beach area in front of the Ka'anapali Villas is superb - not as crowded as beyond the black rock and the water is beautiful, with an okay snorkeling area directly in front and to the north. The only problem I had with this beach was the overabundant cigarette butts, especially towards the shaded areas where the sand meets the grass, which inconsiderate boobs seem to think will add to the beach -- NOT!!!;

Another fun trip was up to the north side, past Kapalua to the "Olivine Pools" (readers of a particular guide book will know what I'm talking about). Actually kind of cool, but a bit of a trek to get to, and could be seriously dangerous with higher waves hitting.

One final note, which I see someone else mentioned, is the late-hour housekeeping. While we didn't have the 4:00 PM routine, we did have a few times after 2:00 PM when the room hadn't been done yet. We did find, however, that leaving a tip each day improved this situation, as well as having additional pillows, beach and bath towels, and restocks on some of the kitchen items. Just a thought if you're travelling -- tipping is appreciated.

Well, I guess I've rambled on a bit here. Suffice it to say that we found the Ka'anapali Villas to be lovely, with very little to complain about. One thing I would recommend to others is to relax and realize that you're on Maui, not the mainland - things work at a different pace in Hawai'i.... type "A" doesn't get it done there.

Maui is still beautiful, if not a bit overly commercialized nowadays, and we wholeheartedly recommend the Aston Ka'anapali Villas.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2004

My husband and I spent a week at the MKV (Sept 16 - 23rd, 2004). We were in room 259 in the Coconut Building. This was a studio with a king bed. We had a full kitchen and a nice sized double sink bathroom. The room was decorated very cute and the bed was very comfortable. The carpet appeared to be new. We did not have a view of the ocean but we had a gorgeous view of the pool and grounds! We had easy beach access. The beach was gorgeous and less crowded compared to the opposite side of black rock. Also, there is the best coral reef for snorkeling about 50 feet north of the KPV. We saw gorgeous fish, huge sea turtles and even one octopus! I preferred the snorkeling at this location better than black rock as I found black rock much too crowded!

We had friends staying at The Whaler and if we wanted to visit them we could easily walk to their place or take the open air trolley that was free!

My only 2 complaints about my room as the water pressure was very weak and the temperture was hard to controll. Also we never had maid service before 4pm. This wasn't a huge deal but I thought I would mention it.

Overall we LOVED the MKV and would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed September 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2004

We stayed 6 nights at the Maui Kaanapali Villas in late September and had a great time. Our room was in the hotel portion (not a condo unit) and while it was nothing absurdly fancy it was more than enough for a place to rest your head and shower - You're in Maui why do you want to be in a hotel room all day anyway? The beach was relatively crowded but absolutely beautiful - some of the nicest waters and sands I have seen. Snorkeling is pretty good too, especially if you walk northwards on the beach to the public beach access area, or in front of the westin - go out about 50 yards and you'll have a hard time NOT seeing a couple sea turtles, tropical fish, and beautiful coral formations.

If you're up for something more adventerous, set aside a couple hundred bucks and call up PonyExpress and book a Haleakala O Pele Crater Ride - you take a 4-5 hour horseback ride into the crater, which is more like being on Mars or another planet then anything earthly. It is absolutely amazing and you certainly won't forget the experience of being on top of clouds and riding around in an extinct volcano. A helpful note if you're traveling on a tighter budget - You can save 10% if you book online through them - search the web for 'Pony Express Haleakala' and it should turn right up.

It's also worthwhile to grab a good guidebook (Maui Revealed was our choice) and take the road to Hana - its beautiful as well. Be aware - the road FROM Hana traveling the south side of the island is much more insane then the road to Hana - however we saw many people successfully navigating the roads in every imaginable rental car so pack a lunch and some snacks and set aside a full day (10-12 hours) for a remarkable experience. Wear hiking shoes and perhaps bring a pair of flipflops and swimsuit just in case - many waterfalls, pools, and scenic points are a small hike away. You'll trek through lush tropical jungles, bamboo forests, etc. It is a rainforest so don't be surprised if it rains on you, we got about 45 minutes of rain and its more like taking a shower, the weather is still hot (80+ degrees) and the rain falling is warm.

Back to the hotel... If I was to complain about anything it would have to primarily be the construction going on next door, but realize this is hard to avoid anywhere you stay. Maui is a booming island and every imaginable beachfront parcel of land is being developed. Fortunately you can't hear the construction from the beach and most of the hotels property. Also, the food at the Castaway Cafe was mediocre considering the prices, and there is no room service which can be annoying.

All in all I'd say Maui Kaanapali Villas is a great place to stay, especially if you're traveling on a tighter budget. It's very quiet and relaxing. If you have young kid's they might be bored stiff however, theres no super crazy waterfall pool slides or whatnot like some of the mega-resorts. The Kaanapali Villas are more geared towards adults, but I'd consider that a very good thing, its much more quiet that way. I think the reviewers who are complaining about things must be uptight and very difficult to please in general - yes theres a few geckos and frogs on the property running around, a gecko ended up in our room - welcome to Hawaii, theyre cute anyway and certainly nothing to ruin a vacation over.

A great place with a fantastic beach - I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2004

Just returned from Maui (Sept. 7-21, 2004). Stayed one week at MKV and one week at the Hyatt Regency. For total relaxation, peace and quiet choose a Resort/condo on the North Kaanapali area. MKV is on North Kaanapali beach, it was serene, peaceful and down right pleasant. The staff was very friendly and seemed to be smiling all the time which put me in a good mood. The beach is excellent, the pool clean and nicely kept. Castaways restaurant was excellent but a bit pricey for me. My condo was nothing fancy but very clean. My condo was a split level. The bedroom was upstairs and the kitchen, living and dining rooms were at the first level. One slight and very minor problem, the AC did not function on the first floor. The bedroom AC was in very good operating condition. The trades were blowing nicely my entire two weeks so this presented no major problem. If you are into lots of crowds and activities, you are a mere car drive from Lahaina and South Kaanapali area. My second week was at the Hyatt and although a beautiful resort, it also attracts many tourists. Which for me is not ideal. I would return to MKV . This was my fifth visit to Maui. I usually stay in the Weilea area but I am glad I discovered this codo. For total peace and relaxation give this condo a try.

chicago,Il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2004

Just got back from a week at MKV. Really enjoyed our stay. We were in a studio, I think the smallest room, and it was great. Full kitchen, seating area and queen size bed. Large double sink bathroom. What more could you need, your in MAUI!! This trip was great for us and I need to sing praises for Apple Vacations and there trip insurance. We were supposed to be in Punta Cana D.R. and changed our trip the day before we left due to hurricane Ivan. They had us on a flight 3days later to Maui, it cost more but it was well worth it.
MKV was a great location to be at, just far enough away from the crowded Whalers Village and close enough to take a 5 min. free trolly ride to get there. We went to happy hour at the hula hut (in Whalers Village) a few times and really enjoyed the live music and drinks.

I read many negitive comments about this place before we left and was worried, DON'T! It's a great place in a great location and remember, your in MAUI, how bad can it be!

• Stayed September 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2004

Our family of four (including two teenagers) spent 12 days at the Villas - and were very pleased with the facility. The beach is beautiful - perfect sand - and sun or shade as you choose. The location is incredibly convenient - be it to nearby snorkelling at the adjacent beach park or to Lahania and its shops and restaurants. The facility is very quiet and extremely relaxing. We would definitely recommend staying.

Been to Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas? Share your experiences!