“Maui Kaanapali Villas-Maui Wowie more like Maui Ouchie!! NOT KID FRIENDLY” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas

Save Saved
You added Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas to your Saves list
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Kai Ala Drive, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761 (Formerly ResortQuest Maui Kaanapali Villas)   |
Special Offer
10% Off with #AstonLife
Ranked #15 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Rohnert Park, California, United States
“Maui Kaanapali Villas-Maui Wowie more like Maui Ouchie!! NOT KID FRIENDLY”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Day before we left for our trip to Aston Kaanapali Villas I broke my right foot. I called the 808 # to advise hotel I would need a ground floor (1) bedroom unit which I had asked for upon booking anyway but, now it was medically necessary. I was told that it would be done no problem. I spoke to Shaun who I came to find out was at a call center not the actual hotel that I was lead to believe. Upon arriving I was checked in by Francis who informed me that there were no notes indicating my broken foot. I was given a room on the 4th floor in the hotel building. Francis went into the "back" and we were put into rm 186 in the Emerald building. It took 2 hrs to check in which was difficult, I have a 10 yr daughter and my broken foot. The room which I booked directly with the hotel was disgusting, the rug hadn't been cleaned in yrs, wallpaper peeling off the wall , paint peeling off the wall also and the bathroom was original never updated and not handicap accessible. I almost killed myself trying to get into the shower. Another issue that should have been addressed at check-in since they saw me on crutches and knew I had a broken foot. I was advised another room would be available in 2 days rm 177 and was told I need to pack my room and bring all my belongings to the front desk until the rm was cleaned and ready. Not that "we will put a rush on the rm from housekeeping, we will help you move, go have a good day" etc. I called the desk spoke to Dale the manager and she did "get it" and provide us with help etc. but, not until I was upset and shook up because of the bathroom incident. Moved new rm not great but, 100x better than 186. Do not be put into 186!! That is 100% unacceptable, a violation of my privacy as a guest and an absolute abuse

804 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a villa at the Aston for 4 days in March.very clean and well appointed.It was privately owned and the owners took pride in the apartment. It was a garden view which seems to be best here.Aloha concierge was very helpful. Thanks Dave. Castaway cafe has good food and reasonably priced. From other reviews it looks as if you are better contacting the resort and talking to someone or use an agent. A lady I met in the lift also made comment of her apartment not being up to scratch and needing to be moved. But for me I can't be more complimentary.

Room Tip: Get a garden view room and talk to the resort dont be cheap and book through a discount online booki...
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My family, 4 adults and 2 children stayed at the condo 408. We enjoyed our stay and had plenty of room. The room was clean and modern. We could not hear any noise from the hallways considering it was right by the elevator. This was convenient for us to head down to the pool. It has a partial view to the ocean but very small. Regardless the view was great. There is the sound of birds in the morning but I found it pleasent. The pool was large, very nice and warm. The kids loved it. Check in was a breeze, no questions. I showed up late and the staff was so pleasent to check me in fast as they knew we were tired. He informed that there was coffee in the AM which was nice cause you just go down and get a cup then come up to the condo or enjoy the view in the garden. I would defineltly recommend this place to families. My children are 3 and 4. I think that two adults and 2 kids would have plenty of room but we took our parents and there was still good room for all 6. con: we didn't know about ants. we left our groceries out and when we woke up they were all over our food. We had to throw it all out. My suggestion just throw everything in the fridge. These ants are everywhere not just this condo. We stayed at another condo and had the same issue.really not a big deal if you place the food in the fridge. Pros:the location was awesome!!! the beach was great. you could go snorkelling. Also you can walk on the beach walk which connects many hotels/condos and just enjoy the view. Also we drive in to Lahania about 5 minute away and walk front street which had many restaurants and tour areas. Overall: We enjoyed our stay!!! The owner was great at getting back when ever I had questions.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Hotel property is not so bad... but it ends there. We booked this on line through a travel site, pre-paid, as a hotel booking. Of course you don't find out the hotel until after you have booked and paid. No problem there. When we arrived they did let us know that an additional $13.00 Per person (not per room) would be charged for such resort amenities as the right to park the car by the curb on the street and going into the swimming pool. OK... it's a gotcha, that should be illegal, but isn't yet when they give you one price and then require that you pay a higher fee without option.

I can live with that, but what I cannot live with is a cheery sounding sales rep calling us on the room phone at 8 AM inviting us to "Free" breakfast where they can tell us the benefits of buying into a property at the hotel AKA timeshare. Now if I had taken a free trip and hotel stay I understand, but I paid, just like any other hotel and I have to be woken up on a Saturday morning at 8:00 AM to find out they want me to get out of bed and come to their sales presentation.

That is 100% unacceptable, a violation of my privacy as a guest and an absolute abuse. We have paid regular price as listed to stay at this Hotel and the gall of a sales call to a guest of the hotel just speaks to the desperation of the time share industry in trying to sell a product that is virtually impossible to give away. They also put the "free" breakfast brochure and ticket in our welcome packet. Next time Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, leave it at that and don't subject your guests to harassment.

Now, I am going to breakfast. But not at the hotel cafe. We will have to go off property because, Who knows what whether we will have people coming to our table to sell us an extended warranty on the eggs or any number of other products or services that are unrelated to our agreement to buy breakfast.

Room Tip: You have no choice in choosing a room unless you would like to pay a higher price
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Aloha-
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I will follow up on the early morning phone calls with our Tour and Travel vendor. We have only received positive feedback so far, and we need to hear from guests that have concerns as well. I did want to clarify that the Facility Fee you refer to is per night and not per person. I apologize if that was not communicated to you properly.

Mahalo
Pat Flinn
Burke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Book from Costco an ocean front room, got a room facing a tennis court and a busy street.
Balcony is 2 feet deep and has large spider web. Room has peeling paint. Everything looks very very old. The concierge was off duty before 8 pm. I will never book from costco ever again.

Aloha-
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like an opportunity to ask you about the details of your stay. One of the disconcerting issues is that we do not have any ocean front rooms. Naturally, I am concerned that we are representing ourselves correctly. Please contact me, if you are inclined, at Patrick.flinn@astonhotels.com.
Mahalo
Pat Flinn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here the past three years for 14 days in August. The staff is excellent, and we have stayed in three different condos on the complex which have been wonderful. I prefer the garden condos over the main tower just due to them being even more quiet and secluded. The proximity to the beach is amazing, and this complex possesses the best beach on either side of the Black Rock. It is quiet and the grounds are well maintained. Our room was very clean, and very well equipped. The cleaning staff usually had our room completed before noon. I highly recommend this complex, if you are wanting to experience a quiet, laid back, and "feels like home" experience. Note: if you are wanting to experience the amenities of say hotels such as The Ritz in Philadelphia or the Savoy in London then this most likely is not the complex for you. I loving coming to stay here and am always sad when we have to leave to come home to Canada. Can't wait to return this August!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brainerd, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Villas the last week of January 2013. When we arrived after traveling for 12 hours the staff were courteous and helpful. They allowed us to look at two rooms. We were assigned 120 in the tower building. The room was perfect, great beds, nicely decorated and had some up dates. Each morning we enjoyed complimentary coffee and tea on the lani . We ate breakfast a few times at Castaways and the omelets were excellent and the prices were reasonable. Both pools were relaxing and never crowded to the point were you could not find a chair. The beach in front of the resort was great for swimming and snorkeling, however a better beach for snorkeling can be found at Kapalua or Napali bay which is less then a 10 min car ride. Location was amazing as it was an easy 15 min walk to Whalers Village which we did multiple times to shop or eat. Overall we can not wait to go back and would definitely stay at the Villas again.

Room Tip: Ask to see a couple rooms at check in as they are individually owned and may not have the updates th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas? Share your experiences!