“great family vacation.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas

Save Saved
You added Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas to your Saves list
Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Kai Ala Drive, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761 (Formerly ResortQuest Maui Kaanapali Villas)   |
Special Offer
15% OFF FALL TRAVEL
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Lahaina
washington state
“great family vacation.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

seems by the reviews that this place is hit or miss. We had two "hits." My husband and I and our 2 daughters (4 and 6) stayed for a week in february. We went with another family with children the same age. We both got garden view one bedrooms. We both ended up with an ocean view on the second floor (between us and the ocean was an empty lot.) We were in the coconut building which at first was disappointing because it was the furthest from the beach, but really only a short stroll, parking was no hassle, it was quiet, and again the ocean view was very nice. the bedroom was an upstairs loft so not really private. the carpet looked like it had just been replaced, the bed was comfortable enough, the hidabed in the living room not very comfy but I have never slept on one that was. the bathroom was large with a separate area for the sinks and a large walk-in shower (the other family we were with had a tub shower combo).
The appliances were fine. the furniture could have been updated but all really quite acceptable. There was a table on the lanai for four and the table inside sat four, so dinner with all of us worked well putting the inside table as close to the lanai as possible. Dinner everynight watching the sunset, pretty perfect.
There were 2 pools, we mostly swam in the smaller quieter one that was closer to our building. The BBQs were very nice. There is a typical laundry mat type building on site to do laundry. I never went in the gym. Decent coffee set out every morning in the lobby to grab before you walk on the beach.
The people here were all ages, shapes and sizes. Variety of owners and renters. We never felt uncomfortable or out of place.
I really can not think of any thing to complain about, but reading the reviews it seems that not all the units were as nice as ours. It was interesting that the family we traveled with booked through Costco and us through Expedia and we were able to get rooms right next to each other and nearly identical.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I don't know where to even begin with this place. I am sitting in the room now looking around and there are so many bizarre things. First, let me say that when I checked in, the guy at the front desk told me with a really excited look on his face that I was being upgraded from a Ocean View room to an Oceanside room....hmmmm...okay. I get to the room and there is NO view of the ocean whatsoever (how is that an upgrade???), so I basically think since I was a single female, they put me in the crappiest room they could. The room is so shabby and completely outdated. They strangely have put in new granite could tops and stainless appliances, but the rest of the place looks awful. A/C unit noisy and little black specks fall out of it, towel racks hanging off the wall or sitting on the floor, old old old carpet and drapes and all furnishings. Just old and dingy. They made me sign a paper stating that there was no smoking on the property, yet the lady next door to me is constantly out on her patio smoking. They do not resupply any coffee, nor do they change sheets. All in all, a very weird experience. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: No room service.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take your comments seriously and regard them as critical tools in our efforts to constantly improve our property. It is clear from your letter that we failed to meet your expectations. Obviously, this is the opposite of our intent. If you are reading this email, I would sincerely like a chance to address these short comings with you. I would also like to know which room you were in so we can target it for remedial action.

Please contact me directly at Patrick.flinn@astonhotels.com
Mahalo
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I even gave them a chance to respond personally to my complaints by sending them a private letter. However, they ignored my letter so now I'm complaining in a public form.

I reserved an ocean view room through Expedia so my family could celebrate my parents’ 50th anniversary during the Holidays in Maui. My brother made reservations with two ocean view rooms through Expedia as well for my parents and for his own family.

We’d been planning this for a long time and my parents were looking forward to seeing not only us in Maui, but also the hotel room very much. So, I called the hotel and reconfirmed a few days prior to our arrival to make sure that we did have ocean view rooms, and I also said that it’s going to be my parents’ 50th anniversary so please give them the nicest room of the three. The man on the phone said we had reservations for three ocean view rooms and he would give my parents the nicest one.
However, upon our check in, the lady at the front desk said they didn’t have any more ocean view rooms! It was still only 3PM!! She said she would give us 1 garden view and 2 partial ocean view rooms. I was especially upset that my parents didn’t get the ocean view room that was promised to us. I complained to her that I’d even reconfirmed that our rooms would be ocean view a few days earlier and how could this have happened? She said that a dishwasher was broken or something so they didn’t have enough ocean view rooms. So, we had been DOWNGRADED! Yes, all three of our rooms! Can you believe that? We were supposed to stay on the 5th or 6th floor, but she gave us rooms 302, 319, and 322 which were all on the 3rd floor. So, I asked her if she could give my parents a higher floor maybe like 4th floor at least, but she said “No.” She said the hotel would reimburse the difference, but that was not the point! We wanted the rooms we had reserved and paid for. She said my 322 was a garden view and the other two were partial ocean view. She even said 302 was a very nice room so my parents should have that one.
However, when we saw each room, my parents were very disappointed that there was NO ocean view AT ALL in 302, same as 319! So, obviously the rooms we got were all garden view. And you know what else? The one she recommended for my parents room was the oldest and most outdated of the three. I thought she really didn’t know what each room looked like.
I’m very disappointed that this actually happened on my parents’ anniversary. Is it because we made reservations through Expedia? How can you over book while using a computer system in this day and age? It is still hard to believe the hotel could disappoint an elderly couple who wanted to enjoy an ocean view from their room and celebrate their 50th anniversary. It probably will be their very last visit to Maui because of their age. But the staff at the hotel just couldn’t understand that. I still think that they could have found just one ocean view room for us. They just didn’t want to try hard enough or there were people who were more important than us who they wanted to take care of first; that’s frustrating and hurtful. Very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloha,
I am reading in your posting that you sent us a letter about your concerns. That letter unfortunately did not reach me. I am sorry that you did not get a response. I want to apologize for the downgrades that happened during your stay. Your comments about over booking in the computer age are very astute, however, there are still humans involved in the process and we sometimes make mistakes. I am sorry that our mistake had a significant impact on your holiday with your family. We tried our best to offer compensation to our guests that this happened to in an attempt to offset some of the challenges that our category overbooking caused. I think we were successful in most cases with this approach, but clearly it was insufficient in this case.

I would like to see if there is something further I can do for your parents who were here for a special anniversary.

Please contact me directly at Patrick.flinn@astonhotels.com
Mahalo
Missoula
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a little over a week with our 2 children (3 and 6). Our friends and their children stayed in an adjacent condo. Each unit is individually owned and then rented out by Aston. So, there may be some minor differences between units. However, all the units managed by Aston have been renovated within the past year. We rented a 1-bedroom garden view unit and ended up with a surprise ocean view (unit 254, Coconut building). The bedroom was in the loft with a king bed which was comfortable. There was a small half bath upstairs as well although not all units have this. The main living area was spacious with a couch bed. The kitchen was nice with granite counters, stainless steel appliances, all the necessary dishes, utensils, etc. Main bath was large with double sinks and a nice big tub/shower combo. Carpet appeared to be new. Some of the finishes (door handles, baseboards, paint) were not as high end as more expensive places but everything was clean and functional. The lanai was spacious and had a nice table and seating for four. We watched whales play right from the lanai.

There were 2 pools, both beautiful and well maintained. Always plenty of seats around the pool. Kids loved both of the pools. There were other families with children staying here but the majority of the guests and owners seemed to be older couples. They seemed to enjoy having the children around and we always felt very welcome. The upside of the particular demographics is that the resort was peaceful and calm and the pools were never crowded. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. Easy access to Kaanapali beach which is gorgeous although not the best swimming for young children. Better opportunities exist south of Lahaina for easy swimming. The free Kaanapali trolley serves this resort and many other key spots on Kaanapali beach. On site laundry facilities are a real bonus. We frequently used the nice BBQs on site as well to cook dinner. As an aside, the fruit stand across the road has fresh local fruit daily.

We received excellent service from the front desk staff and housekeepers. Overall, a perfect place for our family and a great value for our money. Would certainly stay again!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Osoyoos, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were guests of this property for two weeks in February/March, 2012. I see by the reviews of February 2013(especially the review by the folks from Edmonton) that things have not changed much. The grungy, dirty rooms are still happening. We were promised last year by the manager that things would change but obviously, they have not. I sincerely cannot recommend this resort to anybody as our Maui holiday was spoilt last year by this property. The whole experience was a huge disappointment! Beware if you choose to go there, we trusted that we would have a great time in a great place but it did not happen.

Room Tip: Travellers should not need a tip to choose a good room. All rooms at the MVK should be good rooms...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
PatFlinn, General Manager at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Aloha,
I was very disappointed to read your review. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to apologize for the experience you had here. I would be very pleased if you would contact me back so I can find out more about your stay and the room challenges that you experienced. I would especially like to know what room you stayed in. The Aston team manages the majority of the units on property, but we do not manage all the vacation rentals at this location. My email is Patrick.flinn@astonhotels.com. Please contact me personally if I can assist you in any way.
Mahalo Nui Loa
Tangent, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Very nice condo. The grounds were immaculate. Overview of the ocean. Every night would use the complimentary gas barbeque. Never have seen such a big barbeque set in stone and marble. Sit around the tables and talk to other guests. Then watch the sunset. Will do this again

Room Tip: We chose a upper floor to watch the whales and view the ocean
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Very comfortable rooms that are clean and tidy. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. There are two pools an a gorgeous beach. The staff are helpful and friendly. We truly feel that this is our home away from home. A great place to unwind and relax. This was our fifth time at MKV and we will return next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas? Share your experiences!