If you do your research on this hotel (ie - read some reviews and read through the hotel's website carefully) then you will find that this hotel is a real treasure in paradise!! Rather then go straight into the review, I will share the things I found out BEFORE going to this hotel.
1. Call ahead to the hotel and request an upgraded room - Many of the rooms in the hotel are a bit on the older side. They're not bad, just outdated. The upgraded rooms are beautiful!
2. Read carefully through the hotel's website to discover the extra charges - There are small fees for parking, certain activities, the gym, room safe, etcetc. It's nice to be aware of these charges so the costs can be worked into your spending ahead of time.
3. Bring along water shoes for the beach - These shoes can be purchased at any ABC store in Maui for usually less then $5. The floor of the ocean outside the hotel is a bit rocky, but these rocks are perfect homes for all sorts of ocean life!! I snorkeled there daily and saw countless breathtaking fish and other ocean creatures.
4. Purchase groceries at the safeway at the cannery mall - Only a 7 minute drive from the hotel, this grocery store has everything you need for surprisingly cheap prices.
5. Plan on doing your relaxing in the early mornings or evenings - Maui tends to shut down (with the exception of some bars/clubs) at around 9pm. If you wish to relax and enjoy what the resort has to offer, it's best to do this when nothing else is going on around the island.
Onto the review! Before arriving at this hotel, we had called ahead and requested a play pen for our 14 month old. Upon arriving in the room we noticed the playpen was not there so we called down to the front desk and discovered there were none left. The front desk staff went out of their way and called a sister hotel to have one delivered right to us! We were also offered a room upgrade (standard to garden view), however we chose not to take the upgrade since the garden view room was not updated. Although our room had a standard view, we could see the ocean perfectly on the balcony and the sound of the waves rolling in was just amazing! You could not see the parking lot either since the trees were so thick and dense. Our room was equipped with a kitchenette and included a microwave, oven, fridge, clean dishes as well as pots and pans. Lots of room for storing groceries in the cuppards too. In the bedroom there is lots of room to unpack your clothes and store things. There is a safe in the bedroom as well which is great for storing your jewelery/passports.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful! Whereever you look there are colorful flowers and Hawaiian decorations. There are staff members all over the place ensuring the grounds are clean and looking beautiful. The restaurant located near the ocean front is a wonderful place to enjoy a meal (you MUST try the Banana Foster pancakes!). Some (not all) of the meals are a bit pricey, however the price is worth the taste! The beach, while a bit rocky in the water, is a wonderful place to relax and a great place to snorkel!
I really recommend taking advantage of the Expedia concierge service located on the main floor of the hotel. They will be able to tell you where all of the action is as well as book tour/activities for you. As well, if you use this service there is almost always a discount off the price of the activity which is nice. As well, there is a free welcome breakfast thing for new arrivals. Definitely take that in too. No worries, it's not about roping you into buying shares of the hotel or anything, it simply explains all the hotel has to offer.
There are two pools and two hot tubs at the hotel, one set located in the garden area and the other located by the ocean front. While they aren't the biggest pools around, they are never crowded and are big enough to have lots of fun (they're not tiny either!). At night there is a friendly security guard that patrols the grounds to ensure everyone is safe.
This hotel really helped to make our trip the best trip we've ever had! I can't wait to go back someday and experience some more true Aloha Spirit. Mahalo Kaanapali Shores!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located beachfront on Kaanapali Beach, this magnificent condominium resort combines spacious, well-appointed suites with hotel-caliber services. Amenities include complete kitchens, WiFi, activity desk and a year-round kids program, Camp Kaanapali. This self-contained property also boasts a beachfront restaurant and bar, fitness center and spa featuring an indoor/outdoor massage service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Aston Hotels & Resorts, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Aston Kaanapali Shores reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aston Hotel Lahaina
- Aston Hotel Kaanapali Shores
- Kaanapali Shores Maui
- Aston Kaanapali Shores Condos
- Maui Aston Kaanapali Shores Condominiums
- Maui Resortquest Kaanapali Shores
- Kaanapali Shores Hotel
- Resortquest Kaanapali Shores Maui
- Kaanapali Shores Resort
- Aston Kaanapali Shores Maui/Lahaina