“Sherry at Old Lahaina House made use feel like family!” 4 of 5 stars

Old Lahaina House
407 Ilikahi St., PO Box 10355, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #9 of 13 Lahaina B&B and Inns
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Sherry at Old Lahaina House made use feel like family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at Old Lahaina House because of its convenience to Lahaina Town. Everything was in walking distance. It is in a residential neighborhood, and very quiet. There is a lovely pool out back for when you just want a freshwater swim. They just upgraded their wifi (gave it a boost) so it now has a stronger signal. Make sure you bring your own toiletries, as that is one thing that is not supplied (other than hand soap at the sink). Also, parking can be a little bit of a challenge. All this was overcome, however, by Sherry's warm welcome and spirit of aloha. It is like staying with family!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Run down. Used to be nice, you can tell... but the A/C doesn't work nor did the mini frig. Plates had to be washed in sink. Great location. The owner was nice but clear that we needed to like the place. Shower was dirty. Bed was uncomfortable. Lights from outside shined in all night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
oldlahainahouse, Owner at Old Lahaina House, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
After reading this review, it was important to me to take time to really think about how I wanted to respond. Trip Advisor is a great tool and forum for guests to speak their mind. Unfortunately, all too often, people are so quick to respond when things are unsatisfactory and generally very slow to respond when they are pleased. A simple conversation usually circumvents poor satisfaction.

Take this review for example; the guests have addressed several points-none of which were ever brought to my attention. If the A/C didn't work, why didn't they simply tell me? I have spare units on hand specifically for this reason. Same with the refrigerator. This complaint is a mystery to me as I haven't had any other complaints about either subject despite very warm weather.

If the guests were that unhappy with their room, why not simply mention it to me and give me the opportunity to either rectify the problem or upgrade them to another room? I am proud to have guests from all over the world who give me so much praise and often times, they ask me to take a picture with them in hopes of holding on to the fond memories of staying at Old Lahaina House.

I am a small proprietor and innkeeper and it has always been first and foremost for me to make sure my guests are happy and comfortable and I welcome constructive criticism, it's how I can continue to improve my business. I believe my philosophy is quite the contrary to the large hotel chains and corporate America whereas patrons are often times treated simply as a number.
Fair Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

If you want a room at the westin,stay there. If you want to have a warm, friendly atmosphere 200 ft from the beach, a 1/4 mile walk to Lahaina town and a friendly staff that can guide you in your Maui experience stay at OLD LAHAINA HOUSE. Margaret and I had a wonderful time!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed in the deluxe room with a king bed and it was super comfortable and well equipped.
Nice sheets and spotless.
I would definitely come back again.
The only complaint would be that there are smokers who live in the house so smoke would drift in the windows of the room.
The location was excellent with just a skip away from the beach where I would watch the sun go down in the evening and go swimming in the morning.
Sherry was super helpful and accommodating.
Yes, I would recommend the deluxe room at OLd Lahaina House.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Oahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at Old Lahaina House three times in the past two years. Every time we have had a clean, cozy room and a warm welcome. We've always found everything comfortable with no complaints. The location is ideal if you want to be in town, especially without a car- two minute walk to some of the best beach in Lahaina and five minutes to the center of town. The pool area is a lovely, shady place to get a break from Lahaina sun and meet fellow travelers. Sherry is a great hostess, happy to share all her local info, and you can tell she genuinely wants you to have a great time. I think the value is excellent- a similar room on Cape Cod is around $250.

This is a little piece of old Hawaii. No, it's not exactly a hotel or a B&B; it's like staying at a New England or European style guesthouse, and it's a great alternative to the strip hotels and condos of Kihei or Kannapali. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay in Lahaina with charm and a real Hawaiian experience, don't hesitate to book here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

Not sure who gave this place 'excellent' or 'very good'. 'Average' would be generous. It isn't a bed and breakfast and certainly isn't a hotel. If you are used to staying in hostels, then I guess it would be okay. But the pricing is insane. We paid $130 for one night - exactly the same as we got the 4 star Hyatt down the road on Priceline. It has a nice little pool - but a dog was swimming in it when we arrived. Location is okay, a short walk to town. But really...you can do MUCH better than this place for the $$$

• Stayed March 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed in an upstairs room for two nights. We were required to take the shoes off when entering the house. There was an ordinary interior door to the room and no glass in two windows so you could easily hear what is going on in the stairway and outside. The interior of the room looked a bit shabby. A small lizard was living in the bathroom.
I am not sure about the type of accommodation. It is not a hotel; it is not a B&B (they do not serve any food). The room is cleaned only once a week if you stay longer.
I met a cat in front of our room which might cause problems to allergic people (like me).
The location is quite good. The beach is very close - across two streets. It is about a 15 minutes’ walk to the centre of Lahaina. We had no problems with parking our car at the house.
It was good for an overnight stay - not for longer. You would not pay such money in any other location; but in Lahaina (and Hawaii generally) there is not much choice (especially if you book the accommodation few days before your stay as we did).
However, all the people we met in the house were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Old Lahaina House? Share your experiences!