“Try this option...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Tustin Ranch, CA
“Try this option...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

I booked a room at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn and when I checked in I asked to be upgraded. Which they did, and put me in the Royal Lahaina town with an ocean view room, Those rooms go for $379. I only paid $174 per night for the KOI.

The Kaanapali Ocean Inn looked addequit. I even peeked in a room and it looked clean. And the property is very close to the water.

I think it's worth the shot.

Stayed September 2007

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
North Hollywood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

We reserved a room at the Kaanapali Ocean Inn which is part of the Royal Lahaina Resort in Maui and upon check in we were kindly upgraded to one of the "cottages". The cottages were spread out with lots of grass, trees, flowers and open space between each other. We had a private lanai (patio) too. It was very safe, clean, and comfortable. The cottages are getting old in age and therefore they're not in pristine condition, but the room was still nice. I hear they will be tearing down the cottages to make condo's, so I felt lucky to get the experience of old Hawaii, honeymoon style! The beach was perfect, and just a 5 minute stroll down the beach from the hotel was the most amazing snorkeling ever! We saw beautiful colorful fish galore in the reef there by the hotel, more than on a snorkel trip we booked. Be sure to rent or take your own snorkels...the fish were the stars of our trip. The water was clear and warm. We had a wonderful time. The staff at the hotel were really nice and friendly too. Awesome time!

• Liked — Comfortable, clean cottage with patio
  • Disliked — Was a bit old
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

When we arrived there they didn't have 2 double beds that we requested so they gave us a King size bed and a roll-away bed for my friend. Our room was right next to the Luau stage so every night we got to watch the show. Every morning my friend ran on the beach and my husband and I slept in. On the last night of our trip we bought some chip, salsa, cheese, and beer and enjoyed the luau entertainment. The price was not bad. If I was staying for a week I would have been able to recite the entire luau show for you. The bathroom that we had was handicapped assessable which is nice if you have a disability. After reading some of the reports here I was a bit worried but all in all it was fine.

• Liked — It was very close to the beach
  • Disliked — They didn't have the room that I requested
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tyneside England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in june this year and although the hotel is really in need of a facelift, decoration wise, it is a good value hotel compared to others in the area. The location is ideal, at the quiet end of Kanaapali beach and you can use all of the facilities of the Royal Lahaina hotel which is right next to the Ocean Inn. The rooms were extremely spacious and the bed linen was really clean and the bed comfy. We weere on the second floor and there was no lift so this could pose a problem for those with walking difficulties. We had a view of the car park from our balcony but spent very little time in the room so this was not a problem. There was a coffee maker and refrigerator in the room which came in handy if you wanted a hot coffee or tea late at night or early morning or a cold beer. If you are looking for a budget hotel with a really great location set right on the beach this hotel is for you. The poor decor is a small price to pay for the most stunning breathtaking scenery all around the hotel.

• Liked — location and scenery
  • Disliked — poor decor
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia beach, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

My cousins were staying at the Royal Lahaina and invited us over from Oahu for a night. We flew in, drove a convertable over and planned on spending one night and attending the Luau (slightly cheesy but alot of laughs and the pork is unreal) and visiting Front street and Maui and spending time with my family who live in Santa Barabara. I am from Virginia Beach and was traveling with two young adults and a seven year old.

I am a very picky traveler when it comes to hotels but my cousin was very generous and was picking up the tab for the room and booked us in ocean view---two queen beds. I thought I would be staying at the Royal Lahaina. We came over last minute and this was the only room available on the property. The popcorn ceiling was falling apart and the bathroom had mold and mildew. This is not a room to stay in if you have asthma or allergies. The hotel is really really dirty (cobwebs in the hallway) and half of the rooms look out on the luau (yikes)--but you could watch it for free....ha ha ...there is a smell of warm trash in a dumpster as you walk in the place. The doors to the rooms and the balconys are old and dirty. The shower head sprayed water up on the ceiling which made big drops of condensation that landed back on your head as you showered and the shampoo was horrible----tangle shampoo. The shower experience was the worst--I should have just rinsed off at the pool. Our ocean view looked over private massage tables and the line for the luau. Imagine a line of luau goers outside your room as you get ready. Our balcony was old and the railing wiggled.

My cousin called the front desk (he is picky too) and we were upgraded to the ocean view--which had a nice clean ceiling, normal shower (small) and okay beds. (hampton inn blows these beds away) and slightly upgraded shampoo. The room was cleaner also. I opened the door and the view and the sounds of the ocean at your bedside did make sleeping a dream. So for oceanfront sleeping in Maui this was not a bad nights rest. (The door was off the track mind you).....

This is not the Royal Lahaina--but a good deal for a night or two--my time at the resort with my cousin and in town was really fun and I am glad I was upgraded to the nicer room. However, if you are on a honeymoon or something special stay at the Royal Lahaina instead, Those rooms (oceanfront) are really nice. They have wonderful upgrades to make you feel special. My cousins did that on their own.

Stayed July 2007
Reston, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

We were extremely dissapointed with this hotel. Here's the worst of it: there were cockroaches in the rooms, the ceiling was shedding dust/debris, the shower was moldy and the shower head was about 4ft off the ground. Also, the sheets were very scratchy.

I should qualify this review by mentioning we stayed at the garden terrace (2 story structure), not the tower -- I have no idea if the tower is any better.

We complained to Hotwire since this hotel was at the time considered 4-star, according to their ratings, which wasn't even close. I'd say 1 star, assumming no cockroaches. If you have ever used bidding sites like Hotwire you know that the star rating is extremely important, as the rating, price and location is the only information you have beforehand. Btw, Hotwire didn't do anything for us except issue lame apoligies -- I will never use Hotwire ever again. The hotel staff did replace the bed sheets after we complained, which was nice. Also the breakfast was actually quite decent.

• Stayed August 2004
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
El Paso, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

No worries. We were a little apprehensive about booking one of the "budget hotels" (such as they are on the Maui economy - this ran us $175 a night for the Ocean View room), but it was a wonderful experience.

The worst things I can say are that the building doesn't have an elevator (No biggy unless you have mobility problems), it does show its age a little in the hallways, and that the shower fixtures looked old and cheap.

As you may have read elsewhere, this is an older (I'd guess '60s)three story building on the grounds of a really lush, swanky modern resort that charges close to double the price for it's other rooms. The grounds are simply beautiful, everywhere you look. The employees treated us cheapskates in the old building just as courteously and respectfully as the folks staying elsewhere on the property. The porter really worked his butt off running our bags up to the third floor.

Other than the older style, the room itself was clean, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. The furniture appeared fairly new. The bed was comfortable. The shower water was hot and plentiful. And the room was spacious. In-room fridge and safe at no extra charge. Nice balcony.

Definitely do a Mapquest to get directions, especially if you'll be arriving after dark. And absolutely, positively pay the extra $25 per night for the ocean view. We had a beautiful view of garden, beach, water and Molokai across the water. The non-view rooms get to look at a fence, and a bunch of folding chairs and tables where they bring people in for nightly luaus.

I'm sure the guide books rate this as a two star place because of its age. It's fine. I'm giving it four stars because the quality or our experience was excellent and I reserve five stars for places that are exquisite in every way. It's not quite that, but we'd come back in a heartbeat. Very satisfied.

• Liked — Beautiful, relaxing, and comparatively inexpensive
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Kaanapali Ocean Inn? Share your experiences!