“Very dirty but good location and price: choose your priority!” 2 of 5 stars

Makai Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1415 Front St., Lahaina, Maui, HI   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Lahaina B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Very dirty but good location and price: choose your priority!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Well situated in Lahaina, 5 minute driving distance from downtown Lahaina. From outside, this hotel looks nice and welcoming. But once inside, it doesn't smell good, everything is old and dirty. Toilet brush full of hair, mold and mildew stains on ceiling,, bathroom counter with tiny ants, fridge with rust spots on outside, couch that looks 100 years old and never cleaned. It's a chance we brang our own sheets. Everything looked contaminated. The air conditioning isn't so efficient and very noisy and the shower has only cold water (and has yellow stains inside bathtub). The wifi works well and there's free parking. The place could be nice, but needs update, renovation and cleaning. And what's up with the 1 million pools full of red big fishes and hydroponic plants in the interior backyard?...

• Stayed September 2012

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Richardson, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights, in September, and stayed in one of the larger apts w/lanais upstairs with our friends in the matching one just below us. We didn't cook but the kitchen was well worn with not much to use to cook with and old drinks/leftovers from previous visitors. It really felt like a place that hasn’t been updated in 25 or 30 years. Normally I love a quirky place with a bit of character, but it just didn’t feel clean and the furniture and beds were not comfortable. EVERYTHING was well worn and just dirty. The bathroom facet looked like it hadn’t been cleaned in months just like the kitchen. I know this is trivial but the toilet paper was like using a fine grade of sand paper (I purchased my own). Like others have said, this is a quiet place, but I personally was offended with the pages and pages of rules and how we were not to take over the place so others couldn’t have their quiet space. I really felt that Suzie wanted the income but not the inconvenience of us at the property. We were there for a little R & R ourselves but this was beyond that. The price is really the only appeal. We went to Kihei and stayed in a 2 bed 2 bath condo for $120 per night and had a perfectly peaceful quiet time. I will never plan a return trip here. It's a just out of walking distance to the town of Lahaina (although we did walk it) so you will need to drive if you're planning to spend time in the town proper. A great place to eat and walking distance is the Aloha Mixed Plates which is a place for good, cheap food. We come here when we are in Lahaina (this was our 4th time).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Holualoa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

From the onset of trying to book a specific room at the Makai Inn the feeling was uncertain that we would be in the requested room. The woman (whom I believe to be the owner) said she was going to try to "move" someone to accommodate us in the requested room. Before our travel, I called to confirm the room. All was well with the world. Upon arrival on the Island, I called again to confirm the requested room, on route. She said she was just cleaning the room now and to head on over, it would be ready for us. All was well with the world still. All along we were using the specific room name and there was no question about which room we had reserved. When we arrived, the same person I had spoken to each and every conversation greeted us. She nervously, yet in a matter of fact manner, began to explain that she had been confused and that the requested room was never available for our dates and that she could offer us another room. She actually stated that she had told her husband that " it was going to hit the fan when we arrived". She seemed well versed in her excuses and we were left with a "take it or leave it" feeling and were offered the opportunity to think about it. After a very shook up conversation in the parking lot we made the very unnerving decision, in the late afternoon on a Friday night in Lahiana, Maui, to not be bamboozled and to find other lodging or sleep in our rented car. We informed the owner that we wouldn't be staying. We drove to the Best Western in the heart of Lahaina, which is a great place by the way, and although they had no vacancy...the receptionist went above the call of duty to help us find lodging for the night. We stayed the entire stay at the Lahaina Shores on the oceanfront. I would definitely stay there again and would also recommend the Best Western. The room we were offered at the Makai was a 1980's decor special, which we were aware of going in. It had ant powder sprinkled across the door threshold, a used Dixie cup in the bathroom cupboard and was subjectively “clean”, with very tired bedding. The location is "OK" with regard to vicinity. The main attractions are the ocean front location and a courtyard garden. It could be a great little place if it had a renovation, reliable service and new management.

Room Tip: It didn't make a difference that we chose a room. The owner gave us what she wanted, in the end...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Duro123, Guest Relations Manager at Makai Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are reviewing as many of our reviews past and present to resolve some questions, areas of concern as well as improvements.

The Winter and Spring season is our busiest time of year by far, sometimes things are a bit hectic and difficult to resolve, the reservation system for the most part works out great for the majority of the guests, it is "old school" for sure.

Please accept our apologies and hope to see you back on our beautiful island of Maui sometime in the near future. We enjoy the Pioneer inn and send all of our spill over guess there. It's a different experience. Much Aloha!

Cheers!

Trav
lahaina Maui
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

I am stayed here for six days and I love coming back to my own apartment that is quiet and serene. My room faces the huge garden they have outside and at night I listen to the nice fountain they have as well as the waves on the sea wall, which to me makes this a number one choice in my book. When i signed in I couldn't help but notice this was my kind of place, bugenvelia trees everywhere, a sign saying mermaid crossing as you walk in and then one sign behind the front desk that read: " I love living life in the fast lane but unfortunately I'm married to a speed bump". The apartment I rented on the bottom floor has lots of windows that allows for plenty of light and nice cross breezes. The decor is classic hawaiian, full on hula girl lamps to traditional floral print furniture. I love staying at a place that is about keeping it simple and yet makes it feel homey at the same time, and even though there is no ac , that has not been an issue with the wind that comes through here. The pricing was good enough for me, 500$ for five nights basically.I have a kitchen, bathroom, living room area and a bed with closets, there is no pool or fitness center, t's not very fancy but it's very comfortable. If you want to come back in the afternoon to read or nap, it's still dead quiet. It's in a great location, walking distance from safe way and a few great restaurants, there is even a pick of great coffee shops in the area, as well as 5 min car ride to great shopping in Lahaina town on Front street. It is minutes from fun and decent surf, Puamana beach is always fun. I know when I come back , this is where I am staying, unless my surfing goes through the roof, in that case I might move to the North shore just for the bigger surf ;) Aloha!

Room Tip: I didn't have much left to chose from, I didn't think the bottom floor with a garden view wo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I chose Makai Inn for my husband & myself and another couple in Lahaina because the price was extremely reasonable for $125.00 per night including taxes. The 2 room apartments with full kitchens were wonderful. An added bonus was the laminate floors and the quiet hours. Suzie is a gentle, loving person. She was always kind and helpful, even when we locked our key in the room. The view of the boats & ocean right outside our door made our first stay in Hawaii perfect & relaxing. There were laundry facilities for $1.00 each for washer & dryer,including detergent. The location is so convenient to the town of Lahaina. I would not
hesitate to recommend Makai Inn to those looking for a cozy place to stay on a budget.

Room Tip: Rooms on top have the best view. We stayed in Room 22, which had a great view right outside our doo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Regina, SK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This place is a gem. Beautiful garden, ocean view (we sat on the sea wall and watched the sea turtles every sunset), VERY affordable for the lack of budget options in Maui and all the ugly generic hotels in the area. This place makes you feel like you are in Hawaii. Free wifi, clean rooms that are decorated cutely. Our room had a kitchen, and was also stocked with board games and books to use. I would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We had a great time at the Makai Inn - it was in a beautiful setting, with garden in the middle and ocean right in front of you. You really can see whales and turtles playing from the lanai if you're there during the right season. We were looking for an affordable, comfortable place for a group of 8, and this was just right. Yes, there are quiet rules and yes, there are some ants, but it didn't put a damper on our stay. I was a bit anxious to meet the owners based on some of these reviews, but I found Suzie and her husband to be lovely people with interesting stories to tell - they've been in the area for 40 years, so they know the drill. It is a fair walk to town, but it's certainly possible, and you get nice views the whole way. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Makai Inn? Share your experiences!