“Satisfied Customers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Lahaina B&B and Inns
Newcastle, Australia
“Satisfied Customers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We had a great time at the Makai Inn - it was in a beautiful setting, with garden in the middle and ocean right in front of you. You really can see whales and turtles playing from the lanai if you're there during the right season. We were looking for an affordable, comfortable place for a group of 8, and this was just right. Yes, there are quiet rules and yes, there are some ants, but it didn't put a damper on our stay. I was a bit anxious to meet the owners based on some of these reviews, but I found Suzie and her husband to be lovely people with interesting stories to tell - they've been in the area for 40 years, so they know the drill. It is a fair walk to town, but it's certainly possible, and you get nice views the whole way. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kailua, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We enjoyed whale watching from the seawall, an easy stroll to MaLa's for dinner and the close-by Cannery shopping mall for groceries. A minor inconvenience was not having hot water for showers - it was just lukewarm at 7 a.m. I also would have liked better lighting for reading. If you book from this website, which goes through bookings.com, you will pay more than if you book directly.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a view of the ocean. Upstairs room are probably brighter, but then you ha...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

I read the negative reviews on this site and took it with a grain of salt (of course), as I'm used to budget accomodations and often find that people's expectations are somewhat out of line when they criticize a place for being run down or less than five star quality. However, I think this place has its definite pros and cons but for me, I don't think I will be returning here.

We stayed here for 3 nights in January, and while we loved Maui, I can't say the same about The Makai Inn. We were on an apartment on the first floor, not one of the larger apts w/lanais upstairs. Our apt. was on the older side, we didn't cook much but the kitchen was well worn with questionably old drinks/leftover from previous visitors and definitely felt like an apt. that has not been renovated in about 20 years at least. Normally, this all would be a minor inconvenience, but the thing that bothered me most was the "feel" of the place we got. Like others have said, this is a quiet place, but there is a book of rules written on the table that is written in the tone of a parent telling their teenage kids to behave or live somewhere else. I think one of the other reviews quoted one of the rules verbatim, but something I remember was along the lines of, "rooms need to be paid for before leaving, and don't wait until the last minute, I'm not sitting around in the office all day." I don't have any problems with quiet or rules at all, it's just me and my husband, but I personally find it rude to have several pages of rules on the owners going on as if you are inconveniencing them to stay at the property. My husband and I are both used to budget accomodations, but I can't deal with overbearing or rude attitudes on top of it. Thankfully, we didn't have any issues with our apartment (except for an extremely hard springy bed) so at least we didn't have to interact too much with Suzie, the owner. This may or may not bother you, but it left me and my husband with a bad taste.

Overall, if you're on a budget, it's hard to beat the price and although in her book, it says something along the lines of the owner wanting people to come knowing they can relax in peace and quiet and not because it's a cheap place to stay, the price is really the only appeal I can see in this place, and even then I don't plan on returning here. It's a bit far from the town of Lahaina so you will need to drive if you're planning to spend time in the town proper, but it was within walking distance of Aloha Mixed Plates which is was our fav place for good, cheap food.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I read a lot of reviews on the Makaii Inn and you must know a few things before you choose this place. If you don't have a problem with these things or even love them, you will come back here (as we did). First of all: This is a quiet place. The owner is very serious about that. And we love it! Thank you, Suzie! There is one exception to this overall rule: You will hear Hawaiian music from the beautiful garden every day starting at 9 am. If you can't live with that, choose another place. (Actually, Suzie and her husband support Hawaiian musicians - think about that before criticizing it.) The rooms are clean but they are well used. If you don't like that, search another location (and pay much more, probably, especially on Maui).
We were here 3 years ago and came back this winter. We stayed 10 nights and it was a great time. We were cooking every evening and eating outside in front of the room (22). From there, you can look on the ocean and listen to its sound.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

A time warp from 1982 with no phone and tons of ants in the kitchen -yes, ants are hard to avoid in a tropical climate, but there were lots of them. The cluttered Grandma decor and lamps shaped like hula girls were kind of amusing, but this place was not just dated, it was DIRTY. We took it last minute over the phone without enough research, and paid for two nights before seeing the room. If we had seen it, we would not have stayed.
There were used pieces of soap on the shower floor, a peanut on the dirty, stained, bumpy carpet (which felt slightly tacky underfoot), crumbs on the counter and food leftover from the previous people int he fridge. We had our little kids with us, and there were dirty stuffed toys on the beds which I quickly put up in the cupboard.
There were a lot of extremely phrased rules in the book the owner insisted we read, e.g. "quiet time is 24 hours a day. Really REALLY quiet time is from 9:30 pm to 8:00 am. I am very serious about this. Don't let your kids run through the garden at 5 in the morning because they haven't gotten over their jet lag or they are bored." We felt like we were skulking about, trying not to make any noise (our kids are pretty standard when it comes to behaviour, not extra rowdy or noisy).
The view from the seawall was nice, and the garden was cute, but not at all worth the gross crawly feeling of the place. We washed dishes and pans before we used them, and spent as much time as we could at the beach down the street, because it just felt bad to be there. To top it all off, our after-beach showers were cold because the hot water heater is on a timer!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

wonderful stay here - and owners are very knowledgeable and easy to talk to....nicely placed, and QUIET!!!..this is the reason we went there - all we heard at night were the waves and nothing else. will certainly be back...

Room Tip: get a room at the front - well worth the extra money
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Craig CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

What a fantastic place!! In the middle of Uber expensive Maui is a great hideaway, that will not break the budget. Its not a motel, or hotel, or even B&B it just the Makai Inn. A block or two off the main drag, and several blocks from the Cannery Mall, it is a perfect place to explore all Maui has to offer. Small Kitchen area for breakfast and, close enough to walk to some great eating places. The ocean views are fantastic, and the smell of the ocean and sounds of the waves were a sweet song to help you catch up to Maui time. I highly recomend it!!! If you are expecting a pin point crisp hotel room, do not! It was a great place to lay your head and plan your next adventure. Suzy was very accomodating and has great advice on what to do next in Tropical Paradise. A short walk to safeway, the mall and the bus stop and the Island is yours! It does not get any easier especially for budget minded travelers. My daughter and I found the quiet time and super quiet time, not a big deal, since there was no TV we would read or surf the net in our down time.

Room Tip: Room 22 was perfect, nice ocean sounds and very quiet!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Makai Inn? Share your experiences!