“One of the top places I've ever visited!” 5 of 5 stars

Ho'oilo House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   138 Awaiku St., Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Lahaina B&B and Inns
new york
“One of the top places I've ever visited!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have traveled extensively and have never found such a gem! The building is absolutely beautiful with furniture from Bali. It is so clean and well furnished! Breakfast was amazing! From the vegan muffins and almond milk to the exotic coffees and teas to the fruit salad daily....Dan and Amy even gave us water bottels for traveling and had a filtered water dispenser for us to use! Our bathroom was so beautiful and the outdoor shower was dreamy. It's a minute from the beach but high enough to get the best view of Lahaina. It is so peaceful and so well equipped with umbrellas and beach chairs to borrow, and amazing towels and robes. I will be back!

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room with screens on the windows so you can sleep in the beautiful breeze with no...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Mahalo to Dan and Amy for everything. We enjoyed every moment we spent at the Ho'oilo House and will definitely recommend their B&B to our friends who plan on visiting Maui. Close to Lahaina but far enough to find some peace. We had a wonderful time. Breakfast was perfect in the morning with home made bread and muffins (thanks to Amy!), different juices, fresh fruits, yogurt... The view is spectacular from the Nalu room and we enjoyed having our daily drink beside the pool watching the sun go down over the water... haaaaaaa ... The place is clean (thanks to Yariet!) and as for the gecko's, crickets and birds, well, they are part of Hawaii! Dan is very kind and helpful and will definitely recommend a good restaurant, a place to pick up a sandwich on the road to Hana or a good instructor for a surf lesson! Many thanks. We both appreciated our stay, and would have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Nalu has a great view on the ocean and it is worth trading the king size bed of other rooms. A/C wor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Richardsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Ho'oilo House provided the serene, spiritual experience I was searching for on my solo trip to Maui. The property is located up a hill in an upscale neighborhood and provides you with a breathtaking view of the sea and the islands of Molokai and Lanai. It was also close to Lahaina town and Kaanapali, but away from all of the hubbub and activity. My room was clean, well-appointed, and the outdoor shower was so refreshing! It was nice to be able to shower while listening to the birds and taking in the mountain views. Breakfast was fresh fruit and delicious homemade muffins, and assorted teas, coffee, and juice--I looked forward to it every morning. Also worth noting is that Dan, who owns the property with his wife Amy, was fantastic in providing suggestions for restaurants and activities, and he even weighed my suitcases to make sure they weren't overweight before I left for the airport! Overall, I was truly impressed, and will for sure come back here soon. I can't imagine staying anywhere else on Maui. Thanks Dan and Amy!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Having just returned from a magical five-night stay at Ho'oilo House, I am thoroughly mystified by the hostile, nasty tone of some of the reviews I've seen here (granted, they're in the minority, but still...).

- In short: my spouse and I don't pick our lodgings based on how willing the proprietors are to schmooze with their customers. Who cares? As it was, Dan could not have been more helpful (his recommendations for restaurants, beaches and such were spot on), and while we had less contact with Amy, she too was friendly and available.
- Yeah, we found one cockroach in our room. It took all of 10 seconds to trap it and send it outside.
- Everything about our room, the Akala Manu, was superb -- size, bed, shower, bath, you name it. The breakfast was everything we wanted. And as many others have written here, the location and view are quite literally breathtaking. After staying at Ho'oilo House, we can't imagine staying at one of the faceless mega-resorts in Kaanapali, or anywhere else; when we return to Maui, as we surely will, this place will be one of the main reasons. As for the haters... Lighten up, gang. No, wait. On second thought, if you don't like this place, great. Don't ever come back. That'll leave more opportunities for us and the others who recognize how marvelous it is.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights during our honeymoon and really really loved everything about the Place. It's only a 5 minutes Drive to beautiful Lahaina Old Town. Still it is kind of a getaway and you really can enjoy silence and a peaceful ambient. We had the Nalu bungalow and woke up with a great view over the ocean. The room was very clean and calm. Breakfast is made with love. Always fresh fruits, own baked bread and muffins. The owners are super kind and try to help wherever they can. Dan & Amy - thanks for everything. We'll definetly come back one day!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had an great time staying at the Ho'oilo house! The breakfast was fresh and a delicious start to the day (esp the granola), grounds are beautiful, the wood work is spectacular, and the outdoor showers are a great plus. Beautiful view of the ocean and mountains.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I really wanted to stay here because I love Hawaii and Bali style architecture. Perfect, right? Not so much.

The house and the setting is gorgeous. We could actually see whales breeching in the water. There were binoculars available to help you see them better too. Lahaina is definitely the area for whale watching. The common room is beautiful, breakfast was light but tasty and the bottled water was so nice to have available.

It would be a lovely place to hang out except the owners made it so unwelcoming. Our entire stay, they did not speak to us or acknowledge us at all. Another guest asked for hot cocoa instead of tea and was scoffed at as they said it was a "children's drink". We were in the same room and they still did not say 'hello'. Children are not allowed as guests here but their children were allowed to hang out. There is coffee and tea set out at all times but nowhere to dump the leaves and no fridge or ice for milk. It was expressly spelled out that we were not to enter the kitchen. Tried to relax and enjoy my breakfast but the owners proceeded to have a very loud and rude phone conversation and then a discussion of how rude the receiver was when they did not get their needs met. It feels like they could not afford to keep their luxury house so they rent out rooms to pay the bills. They try to ignore you so they do not have to be reminded that you are there, paying their bills. I won't be back but I am sure that is what they want.

The place is in a lot of disrepair and needs work. We stayed in two rooms: Akala Manu & Nalu. Akala Manu has no view but was larger and more private. The tub never drained, the shower sprays into the bathroom and the water was ice cold. The sink leaked constantly. The fan did not work well and there are no screens if you want to open the door to the lanai for air. Unlike another reviewer, I expect cockroaches in Hawaii and I love when the geckoes come in the room but we actually did not have any problems with pests. There is a break in the bushes so when people walk past, they see directly into the bedroom. No big deal, right? Except there are constant deliveries, guests coming and going and the neighbor walks "laps" back and forth.

Nalu is very pretty, facing the ocean but small. You'd think with that amazing view you'd want to keep the curtains open. But anyone on the lawn sees right in. We had kept the lanai door open because it was so hot but had to scramble early in the morning to close it when the sprinklers came on , practically on the bed. The next morning we were rudely awakened by the gardener mowing. If the owners had deemed to talk to us and tell us of the schedule, that would be different. Not so romantic. Please warn me if I need to wear pajamas at all times in my room. The shower here worked better but was too low. I'm 5'6" so most guys probably won't enjoy it. The tub was cool looking but after the cold showers, I didn't even try it. The pretty Chinese bed is too big for the room and one person has to sleep on the inside. There is no nightstand, just a flimsy table that only the person on the outside can reach anyway. If I lived here alone, this would be my room for the view but that's it.

Even with the view and all the pretty Balinese elements, this place is an overpriced joke. $300 a night for rude people and poor plumbing. Stay in a nice hotel with room service, privacy and people who at least understand it is their job to be nice to you. Heaven forbid you want to feel special on your honeymoon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HooiloHouse, Owner at Ho'oilo House, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
It is challenging to write a response to this review. There are several details that are simply untrue. The combination of these un-truths and being called horrible people does make this review very personal and offensive. That said, it is unfortunate that these are the memories brought home by this couple. For that, we are sincerely apologetic.

While we are available for guests when needed, we do leave guests to enjoy the peace of Ho'oilo House. This is certainly not meant to offend or make unwelcome. All guests should feel welcomed and valued. We obviously failed with this couple and that is truly unfortunate.

Been to Ho'oilo House? Share your experiences!