“Casual atmosphere, great food and drinks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cool Cat Cafe

Cool Cat Cafe
658 Front Street, #160, Top of the Elevator in the Wharf Cinema Center, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761
808 667 0908
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Templeton
“Casual atmosphere, great food and drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

What a great place to eat! The view from their upstairs restaurant can't be beat. It looks out on to Front Street right across from the Banyan tree. The choice of hamburgers are the best and they taste really good and the prices are right. Great choice of beers and excellent cocktails. Try the Blueberry Press. It's fun, lively,casual. Nightly music. No reservations needed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver
“a lovely surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Cool Cat Cafe was a nice surprise for us. We originally planned to go to the Lahaina Seafood and Oyster bar, but it was out of the business when we got there around 8pm. We were hungery and tired, and didn't have the energy to look up our travel books to find another one. So we went to the first restaurant we saw which was this Cool Cat Cafe. We were seated on the patio overlooking the main street of the Lahaina town. Like the others commented, the ambiance and service were mediocre, but I have no negative things to say about their food. My hubby ordered Mai Tai and I had a cocktail mixing baily, coffee, caramal together. They were all very good. My hubby also liked his grilled Mahi Mahi burger, and I enjoyed a lot of my fish tao. The portion here was not as big as the other burger restaurants and extra cost was there for side fries or onion rings. Maybe it was because our hungery stomach that made things tasting more delicious, but compared to the other fish burgers we had elsewhere in the following few days, the Cool Cat Cafe ranked the top. I would difinitely go back again next time I am in Maui.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
renia1001
“Nothing special, except the prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

If you've ever had a "better than fast food" quality burger, you won't think this place is anything special. After seeing ads in just about every guide book, we had to stop by to see what all the hype is about. So let me break it down by category:

Atmosphere:
Nothing special for hawaii. Second story balcony overlooking front street. The tables were slightly dirty (smeared grease or bad table finish, I couldn't tell) but we had enough room for our elbows. The decor was that of an moderately priced burger shack.

Service:
This is was the best thing about the place. Have nothing but positive things to say here. The wait staff was friendly and curious, the food came out fast, and they made sure we were well taken care of.

The Burger:
The ingredients were fresh and the burger was tall. The bad news is that they didn't know how to make it all work. The meat didn't have any kind of distinct flavor and I'm not sure it was even grilled. We asked for a medium burger, but the meat was gray all the way through. (should be pink in the middle) If I had the burger and the bun without all the extra stuff, it wouldn't taste like much. But the fries were hot off the fryer and seasoned with some Cajun spices.

Value:
My idea of value isn't a $13 ala cart burger, unless there is something special about it, which there isn't. For two burgers, a basket of fries, and 2 sodas, we ended up paying around $40 after everything. I've had better burgers for much less.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Florida
“good burgers, otherwise dreadful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

Cool Cats is convenient and makes a good burger but it is dirty with wretched service. Their burger with pineapple and bbq sauce is yummy but service is virtually nonexistent and rude when they make a rare appearance. Also they serve burgers a la carte which is just weird. I would not recommend the place.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

I had read the reviews on this restaurant, and added it to my list of places to eat while in Lahaina in September. My husband and I decided to try Cool Cat for lunch one day. We were seated outside with a view of the Banyan Tree. I ordered a cheeseburger and shake, and my husband ordered ribs. My burger was so big I had to mash it to get it in my mouth, and the shake was great. Being from Texas, we've eaten a lot of ribs, but these had so much meat on them my husband couldn't eat all of them - and he's a big eater. Expensive, but definitely a good place to eat!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere