“Absolutely fabulous!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Olympia, Washington
“Absolutely fabulous!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

This restaurant is absolutely wonderful. The menu selection is almost too much to comprehend, but the wait staff are very helpful. The servings are generous and very reasonably priced. Best of all, the taste. The mix of flavors, presentation, etc. are all wonderful. If you enjoy sushi, GO HERE!

Fairfax, Virginia
“One of our Favorite meals!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We actually were told about this place by a local, who said it is some of the best sushi, she's ever had. And she was absolutely right. We kept ordering different types of sushi, as it was so good, we couldn't get enough. They also had some great appetizers calamari was especially delicious.

Service was also excellent and very friendly.

Word to the wise, the place gets busy very, very earlier, so prepare to wait (outdoors, as the line usually wraps around the building)!

Enjoy!

Key West, Florida
“Some of the best sushi ive ever eat,but.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

AMAZING FOOD,VERY CROWDED. I am a sushi lover and they knocked my socks off,but everyone that worked there,EVERYONE, acted like they were doing us a favor by allowing us the privilege of eating there and spending part of our precious honeymoon budget at there restaurant. A smile, a kind tone, a non sarcastic response to simple questions like regarding where the restroom is? NOTE TO MANAGEMENT the Ritz Carlton makes a guest feel like they are welcome and appreciated.Your staff made me feel the opposite.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Las Vegas
“Great Sushi Spot! Just Know What You're In For ..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

First off, it should be mentioned that I am a big time sushi fan and also that I work in the industry so I get to eat amazing meals on a pretty regular basis. For what it is, I thought Sansei was spot-on and fantastic. I was worried by some reviewers who didn't like their meals/visits, but in hindsight think that a lot of people had erroneous expectations from the place. It's not the fanciest restaurant by any means and while being nice clean, the decor is nothing special. There isn't a view and being in the ritzy Kapalua area people might have expected something different.

We enjoyed our first meal at the Kapalua location that we went travelled to the Kihei location later in the week. The Kihei location serves a more local clientele and we heard from several locals that it was preferred. We didn't see a tremendous difference between the two, although some of the items, like the sashimi for example, seemed a tad fresher at the second location although it might have just been based on the delivery cycle of the fish in relation to our visits?

At the Kapalua location we walked in because they weren't accepting any more reservations. We got there around 9P and didn't have to wait for a table (Tuesday). At the Kihei location (Saturday), the wait was longer. We went at 8P and waited 45 minutes at the bar for a table of four to open up. The couple behind me at the podium asked for a table for two without reservation and was seated immediately. I would definitely recommend making a reservation and making it a few days before you plan on going. If you show up without a reservation, shouldn't you be prepared to wait anyway? We had edamame at the bar to curb our appetites and the meal was worth the wait. This is a popular restaurant on a tourist island, if there was NO wait at all, I'd be worried. The other thing to keep in mind is that both restaurants had tons of large parties (6+) which sometimes makes seating and flow more difficult.

The service was nothing special, but certainly wasn't bad by any means. In Kapalua, our server didn't rush us through it, but made sure we knew the sushi bar was closing in case we wanted more. The restaurant was winding down as we finished our meal, but we didn't feel like we were getting rushed out. In Kihie, the service was again nothing special but definitely on-point and thorough. Service in Hawaii in general isn't all that special as more times than not I felt like my server was going through the motions of serving someone that won't be back for a while love or hate the meal. In general, I found local Hawaiians gave better service than the transplants.

Dishes (at both meals):
Tried three of the 'Award Winners' and found them all delectable, interesting and totally unique. There were at least 4-5 more items I would have loved to try but wouldn't fit in my stomach!
- Panko Crusted Ahi Sashimi Sushi Roll was delicious even though I usually steer away from anything fried in a sushi restaurant.
- My lady loved the Mango Crab Salad Roll, the sauce its served with is mouth-watering although not anything close to a typical roll. It's almost more like a Japanese salad wrap.
- My favorite, the Dungeness Crab Ramen with Asian Truffle Broth. Man oh man, the perfect example of a classic Japanese dish modernized with subtle tweaks. The crab and truffle broth blended perfectly with the cilantro, thai basil and mild jalapeños. The serving was huge and even though we the kitchen split it, we could have shared a half order but was was thrilled to have our own bowls!
Sushi:
- Sashimi Trio - consisted of tuna, yellowtail and salmon. At the Kapalua location it was solid, not great. At the Kihei location the fish was better and the yellowtail was sublime.
- Fresh Hawaiian Ahi Carpaccio - Another somewhat common dish that Sansei did their own adaption of with cilantro, roasted peanuts, lime zest and sweet Thai vinaigrette. Was phenomenal and would order this dish again and again, the tuna was especially fresh and tasty in this dish.
- Kapalua “Butterfry” Roll - Again, I usually stray from fried, even flash-fried, dishes as sushi restaurant but the waitress suggested it and it was delicious. It came with a side of lettuce or maybe just a really boring salad which seemed odd and wasteful since it was flavorless and didn't go with the roll.
- Spicy Island Roll - Solid roll, was fresh and delicious and pretty unique.

All in all, highly recommend. As at most Japanese restaurants, I would recommend people focus on the sushi and raw items and be careful picking and choosing from the cooked items. If you order pasta or a steak here and aren't happy with it, that's your own fault. I will definitely be going back on my next trip, not even a question in my mind!

Palm Springs
“What do you say about Sansei?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Great Japenesse restaurant in Kapalua. We're not huge sushi fans, but went anyway not sure if we were going to like it. LOVE IT! Great food, fun place, good service. Sit at the sushi bar- very attentive and you learn more about the food. Definitely make a stop here if you're on Maui!