“Remarkable!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 165 Activities in Lahaina
Type: Adventure
“Remarkable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? The experience was one in a million- so very special and personal. It is not a commercial excursion or tour. We saw their turtle project flyer and called to inquire. CT explained the project to us and thankfully was able to get us in during our vusit to Maui.

We are not a family of snorkelers or even avid swimmers. We have tried snorkel excursions in the past and found the snorkeling part boring as we didn't really learn how or venture out very far. We are a family of five with 3 children ages 6, 13, and 15. The 13 year old was scared to go but we promised her it would be safe and that she didn't need to do anything she wasn't comfortable with. Well, let me tell you, she was the hardest to get out of the water at the end and enthusiastically continued to show is her finds on the water.

CT and Mel were the marine biologist that personally took our family under their wings. They first taught us interesting facts about the turtles and some fish we would see on the beach. They were such great teachers who spoke age appropriately to each child. They gave them each a kit to take with them to remember their lessons. They smoothly taught us about our snorkel equipment and "hand held us" through the process and made it so smooth and easy for us ALL, parents included, to learn and enjoy the experience.

They were so good with our 6 year old! And all of us really. Everyone now would love to snorkel again from the enthusiasm and knowledge rubbed off on us by the wonderful people who work on this project. Highly recommend!

Visited July 2013

Chicago, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
“Excellent and educational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I booked this snorkel lesson as our sons (8.5 and 6) have never snorkeled. Its the best thing you can do for them. He educated them on the marine life as well as how to snorkel. Even the adults learned a few things. The educational part lasted about an hour, for my 6yr old it was just a bit too long. Mel provided all the gear for the adults and kids to use. The area he chose was a bay and was full of marine life my oldest says. My only feedback I can input to Mel is possibly buying a wagon or something to help carry the load from his car to the bay. Luckily we were a group of 2 men, 2 women and 5 kids so we were asked to help bring the gear. Its a bit heavy and the walk is far. with all of our own things we were bringing, it was alot of stuff. Aside from this, you will not regret your decision if you book this. 2 days later we took our sons on the trilogy snorkel tour and they snorkeled like they were pros!

Visited May 2013
Lakewood, Colorado, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Favorite thing from our vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I should start by saying that I am not very compfortable in the ocean. I expressed this to Mel the first time we talked on the phone. When my husband and I went to Maui for our honeymoon I wanted to try snorkeling but was scared to go out on a boat with a group of people. When I talked to Mel he immediately made me feel compfortable and said my lack of experience wouldn't be an issue. We met Mel at the decided location where we sat an talked about the different types of fish we would see as well as how coral forms. On our trip out we say many types of fish, a few turtles and even a ray. We were able to name the fish for the rest of our honeymoon and with the skills I learned I was able to snorkel on my own a few days later. We ran into Mel while he was out with another group a few days later and he took the time to give us some pointers about the spot we were snorkeling at. Overall, even for 2 adults in our mid 20's, we had a great time learning about the ocean and loved our time with Mel. It's worth it to have a personal guide showing you the ocean, especially when he is a knowledgeable and passionate as Mel!

Visited June 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Wonderful Maui Activity For Families!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Traveling to Maui with your family? This is NOT TO BE MISSED! The very best of all the activities we did together on Maui. The Ocean Project is staffed by marine biologist and each morning they invest in kids and their families. You learn about what you will see snorkeling, practice a few fun and practical tricks to making snorkeling easy and go explore together with your staff member. Exceptional care for all age levels, grandparents, young children and parents too. Fun and exciting way to learn. You will love this activity for your family. It was our families FAVORITE on Maui.

Visited May 2013
Carrollton, Texas
“Our teenagers loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Wife and I took our 18 year old son and daughter along with her best friend to Maui for her 16th Birthday. Some friends for California referred these guys to us and they were great. They took us all out on a snorkeling adventure filled with sea turtles, sea lions, and all types of fish and other sea life on colorful coral reefs. They taught us all about the ecosystem that we'd be experiencing before we set out from the beach and they made it really educational, fun, and a fantastic memory full of photos (all full of big smiles) for our whole family. It was the Best!!!

Visited October 2012