“A little overhyped?” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lahaina Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 238 Restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Pacific Rim
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Description: Open nightly from 5:30pm. Voted Best Maui Restaurant for 21 years in a row! Featuring innovative, New American cuisine, Lahaina Grill uses techniques and flavors from around the world, all perfectly blended with the freshest ingredients cultivatedby Maui's local farms, dairies and surrounding waters.
Calgary, Canada
“A little overhyped?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had a good dinner at LG but I would disagree with many of the reviews on TA that you will have an amazing experience here. Just a little background info for you: the restaurant is located in a very small enclave of restaurants, inns and shops at the water's edge which is quite nice. Parking is available very close to the restaurant and you will pay between $5 and $20. There are also attendants at all parking lots to help you if you are having trouble located a parking spot. The interior of the restaurant is nicely lit with elegant furnishings and the staff are as professional as you will find anywhere which probably comes from working at the restaurant many, many years. They seem to enjoy what they are doing. As for the food, well, it was good but it did not overwhelm us with greatness. We did not try the seafood dishes and maybe those are much better than the red meat entrees we had although you will not be disappointed with the slow braised short ribs, it was very well done. The soups are average and the desserts, particularly the signature dessert berry pie, is also very good but again not outstanding. Perhaps my expectations for our dinner was too high but keep in mind that appetizers start at $20 and the dinner entrees basically start at $30 and head north to an average price of $45. Naturally at this price point you would expect a dinner that will leave you wanting to come back but unfortunately this did not happen for us. If you have a lot of money then give it a shot but if you want better value then head over to Honu or some other similar establishment instead which is more casual, offers a terrific view and has really exceptional food for slightly lower cost.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great New Year's Eve meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We started out our celebration with the carpaccio, cake walk and ahi poke for appetizers. The ahi poke was wonderful and the seafood cakes were outstanding. Although we didn't order it, our fishing guide highly recommended the wagyu beef ravioli as out of this world. The "from the land" entrees looked all very appetizing, but we were focused on ordering seafood since we have a hard time getting really fresh seafood in the middle of New Mexico. My wife and I had a Hawaiian sea bass special with poblano risotto. My daughters had the seared ahi and salmon filet with grilled vegetables.

Our waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly and was familiar with New Mexico. Many of the dishes have a Mexican influence with Hawaiian ingredients which reminded us of our home cuisine. Overall great experience and we would highly recommend to anyone visiting Lahiana!

Visited January 2014
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“WORLD CLASS CUISINE WITH A LAID BACK FRIENDLY VIBE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

....that one usually doesn't experience at eateries of this caliber. I was wowed from the moment I set foot inside. Although steps from the ocean, there is no view of the water; Instead patrons are treated to a plethora of happy, colorful paintings of local flowers and vegetation. Lahaina Grill's interiors are beautiful and welcoming.
Since I was dining solo, I sat at the bar; this accommodation proved to be perfect for me. Turns out
executive chef Arnulfo Gonzalez was preparing salads at the bar right in front of me; What a treat!
(after dinner, I got to shake his hand and thank him for one of the most memorable meals ever!)
Annabel, was my server at the bar. She was attentive without being intrusive....
Loved the wine list options, I chose the Kistler "noisetiers" chardonnay; it was superb.
Was a bit disappointed when I tried to order the Dungeness crab salad and was told they were out; but as an avid foodie, I realize not everything on menus is always available... better not have something than to serve sub par food.
Started the culinary adventure with warm freshly baked bread and a superb herb infused butter, followed by the baby organic greens, beets, cherry tomatoes (red & yellow), jicama and feta cheese with a perfectly balance vinaigrette. Opted for the fish of the day offering, a local fish called OPAKA PAKA (a pink snapper, I was told); Fish was encrusted in an Asiago and Panko crust and served on a bed of the yummiest corn risotto. So Good!
For dessert, I ordered Arnie's legendary triple berry (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry) pie with a scoop of Lappert's (a local ice cream) vanilla. Mmmm!
Thanks and Congratulations to proprietor Jurg Munch, to Arnulfo Gonzalez, my wonderful server Anabel, and the rest of the staff of this very special restaurant. See you next year!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Wow! Go here. Seriously. Wow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This restaurant was amazing from the moment we walked in to the moment we left. The service was impeccable. The corn soup, salad, ahi tuna and meatball dishes were fresh and delicious. While the restaurant is a bit pricey, we felt it was worth every penny. We went for a special occasion and it was recognized by the hostess, our server, and the support staff, repeatedly throughout the evening. They even took a picture to send to us and gave us a congratulatory card signed by the staff! Go here. I can't believe this is not the #1 place to dine in Maui.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Davis, California
“A reasonable splurge with a CAVEAT or 2”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

We ate here for the first time a few days ago, as a "thank you" to foodie friends who arranged our Maui lodgings. The Grill is an expensive proposition, even for Maui, so I will review it through that lens. The main rooms are nice and bright, dominated by colorful flowery paintings. We learned it's possible to reserve at the bar for the first seating, then it's first-come the rest of the evening. The Grill may, inadvertently, offer one of the few dining deals in Maui: a $10 hamburger with fries that is pretty good. The menu is interesting, with fish and lots of meat, and vegetarian items. Most entrees in the $40-50 price range; appetizers in the higher teens and up to mid-$20s. We ordered across the menu and most dishes were well presented and delicious, including a carpaccio, beet salad, salmon, and roasted tomatoes. CAVEAT #1-the kitchen sent out a largely raw pork chop requested as medium rare. You might reasonably question whether any pork should be ordered less than "medium," but they missed on this one. Should not happen at these prices. CAVEAT #2 - the wine list offers not a single reasonably priced option. Meiomi Pinot is being sold around Maui's supermarkets at less than $20 a bottle and it's offered by the glass at the Grill for around $15 (as I recall, or it could have been even higher) - and the pour is less than generous. We calculated a roughly 600% markup, which is a pretty deep gouge. If you are looking for a high-priced, well staffed, largely delicious meal in a lovely Maui environment, this may work for you. But for me it's only 4 dots in light of the outrageous wine pricing and miss on the pork chop.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere