“Fantastic Resort” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
sussex
“Fantastic Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

This resort can only be described as outstanding.We travelled all the way from the UK and all i can say is it was worth every hour spent getting there. The staff and managment were excellent and made are stay as comfortable as can be. As for the resort well i can not fault its location or presentation.The rooms were a great size with huge bathrooms.The pool was an excellent size to with a great slide for children. This resort is a must stay. 10 out of 10.
Darin and Emma

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
Tolland, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

You will hear the good, bad and ugly of this (and any other) resort through the other reviews. Here is a brief one based on our perspective.

Will preface by saying we are owners at another Starwood property (Atlantis, Bahamas) and traded for this property (8 days in a 1 bedroom vs. 7 days in 2- bedroom lockoff in our home resort).

The good:

Well appointed rooms - kitchen, microwave, jacuzzi, double sink bathroom and the heavenly bed and shower!

Location - Right on the beach. Excellent view of ocean and mountains (5th floor) and great view of sunsets from beach.

Convenient shuttles and friendly/helpful drivers.

Convenient store on site with pre-made diners ready to be heated. However for primary shopping, go into town.

Awesome snorkeling right offf the beach - never seen such reefs and varity of fish in any other locations (including Caribbean). Saw several sea turtles around sunset, colorful reefs and fish, even an octopus.

Not so good:

On-site restaurants do not really provide a good value for families in either North or South locations.

Front desk - could be more helpful in assisting with one off requests.

Timeshare presentations - remind me why I schedule these again?

Complimentary portrait - you were going to tell me about this when? Found out last day there in last hour photog was on-site.

Ugly:

The charge for the beach lounges and chairs - what the &@*! is up with that??? At the Atlantis, these are provided free to ALL guests, not just owners. For over $2K annually in maintenance fees, they better invest in more chairs and make them available.

Overall a great stay there, we ate out usually in Lahaina each day. Great snorkeling but suggest reef shoes as coral and rocks are sometimes sharp. Ask about portrait, utilize shuttles if no car rental, shop in town. Would definitely stay here again as a more educated traveler.

• Liked — Location, great room and views, free internet Wi Fi.
  • Disliked — Charges for beach chairs and lounges.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Burlingame, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

Our stay on Maui at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas was wonderful! Two bedroom, two bath villa - spacious, clean, great views, beautiful lanai, well appointed. Snorkel right off the beach on the reef there. Pool is lovely, beach is great. This is a time share but you can also rent them from different sources. Our teenage kids loved it, so did we. This was our 3rd stay there and each time we love it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

We stayed here with our two kids, ages 6 and 8 in Aug. 2007. We had a studio with kitchenette. Our room was on the first floor and in close walking distance to the pool. It was very quiet, and I rarely heard any noise from outside or upstairs when we were in the room. This was despite the hotel being fairly busy.

It was definitely a big plus how close we were to the beach. It was nice to just take a short stroll down to the water, and be able to play, swim, and snorkel there. The water was nice and fairly calm. Our kids were able to run in and splash without too much worry.

Plan to catch the sunset from the beach. You get the best view right there from the hotel's beach access.

The pools were also really nice at the hotel. They have 3 different pool areas. The one on the north side has kind of like a lagoon/river sort of arrangement, which is very nice. This pool was always less crowded than the main pool on the south side of the resort. This main pool had the big slide by the waterfall, so obviously it would be the most crowded pool. Then there is a smaller pool area for those with toddlers. It has a big pirate ship that shoots out water and has small slides for little ones.

Kids eat free with each adult meal at the hotel's bar and grill, but we were disappointed with the food. It really tasted like it was just reheated frozen food, rather than fresh-made-to-order. We preferred to take the complimentary shuttle into Lahaina and try the restaurants there. One place we enjoyed and found to be reasonably priced was the Aloha Mixed Plate restaurant behind the Cannery Mall. You should definitely make a stop there at least once to have some local food. We also went to the Hula Grill at the Whaler's Village, which had really good burgers.

I also highly recommend taking advantage of the complimentary shuttles into the different parts of Lahaina. No need to stress on driving and parking!

Overall, we had a great stay, and would recommend the Westin Ocean Resort Villas. I am giving 4 stars only because we were disappointed with the dining options at the hotel. Too expensive for sub par food. However, the hotel is extremely clean, well-kept, and the staff is friendly and very helpful.

Enjoy and aloha!

Scottsdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

We decided we wanted to take a weeks vacation in Maui at the Westin Resort and Villas.. Upon our arrival the smell of the lobby certainly gave the Maui ocean feel... The valet was quite nice and assisted us with our bags.. Upon checking in the girl behind the front desk said she had a BEAUTIFUL room for us with ocean view and high upgraded... The first thing I noticed when I we were walking to the room was the amount of running wild children. No parents in site.. Running up and down the halls in soaked swim trunks making the hallway have a watered down stench.. The room was attached to another villa which shared a public door although it was locked... From there I noticed that the maid service only occurs once a week.. Our bathroom in our room looked as if it was made in the 1970's.. Our water pressure was terrible and the so called jacuzzi still had sand stains on it from the previous occupants... I was quite annoyed... The next morning I wake up to the pounding sounds of children screaming and crying throughout the hall... I look outside our so-called ocean view room only too see the large pool full of children running wild.. The first thing that came to my mind was there has to be pee all over in that water... My girlfriend and I wanted to catch some rays so we attempted to find a space with ample sun.. This was near impossible... The few cabannas they had were rented for 2 weeks out! So it was up to us to find a spot to lay around all these running and screaming children... We finally find a space where we had to literally lay down right next to someone else.. It was like flying coach on airplane.. We crawled into our spaces over a child who was swining a towel at another child while screaming about it... I thought Maui was suppose to be about relaxing.. I finally just am fed up with it... I would rather spend time in my private room then be around these children.. The next day we found that there was an area just being finished called the "North" side which seemed to be quite fresh and new... No children around... Just adults eating their breakfast... From there I new we needed to switch rooms... I asked the front desk if it would be possible to switch.. Nicely enough they switched us! :-) I thought it was only uphill from here... Until the next day... I went for a workout in the Westin's gym.. Just a quick note on that... The YMCA in Scottsdale looks better than this! After finishing my workout I went back to the room.. As I approached the door my key card didn't work... I was somewhat upset because we had just received our keys the day before and this was suppose to be a totally new room.. Just finished July 27th I was told... I walked to the front desk in the "North" property which has a much nicer lobby than the South... The girl named Jessica behind the front desk greeted me... I told her my room number and that my key wasn't working... She gave me a new key and I was on my way... ALTHOUGH!! She didn't even ask my name!! Anyone could have said my room number and she would have given them a key!! This was quite alarming.. Not what you would expect for a 5 star property... Upon returning to the room I get to the door and the key doesn't work again!!! Now I was upset.. Instead of walking back down again... I called the front desk and "Jessica" whom I spoke with before answered the phone... I told her this key wasnt working either... (Not to mention this whole time I am on crutches with a broken ankle). She asked me to hold... I waited 15 minutes on hold!!! I was very upset at this point...I walked/crutched back down to the front desk with my cell to my ear still waiting on hold... I get to the front desk and she is just standing there doing NOTHING!! All the while I am still on hold...I demanded to speak with a manager.. She came out very friendly and asked Jessica again to give me a new key... Also she asked security to walk with me back to the room so this wouldn't happen again... The security guard indicated to me that the flashing yellow light indicated the key was expired... This was only after one day!!! We walk back to the room and finally I get it... I was VERY upset...

We are regular Maui vacationers.. Typically twice a year... We have stayed at the Four Seasons in Wailea (which is the REAL 5 star property although you'll pay $6000 for a week easily!).. The Ritz Carlton right up the road in Kapaula is another regular place we stay... Currently they are under renovations which made it not possible for us to stay there this time... So we tried the Westin.. I thought since it was just finished not even a month ago everything would be crisp, clean, and ready for use... How wrong I ever was... Stay away from this property unless your bringing the entire brady bunch with you!!

Your's Truly,
Maui all the time!

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The service.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Roseville, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

We stayed for the second time at the Villas from July 22 to July 29, and what a wonderful time we had, again! The resort was beautiful, the staff kind & gracious. Our one bedroom was roomy and comfortable for my husband, my daughter & I. The view of the beach from our room & the deck was wonderful! We took walks on the beautiful beach in the morning & snorkled in the marine preserve in front of the Villas. We often lunched at the Hula Grill or Leilani's (both fun & delicious with great serving staff), or Kimo's, Lahaina Fish Company (great, again), or Hard Rock Cafe (fun) and grilled fresh fish (great fish market close by with many varieties of fresh fish you don't often find in CA) or steak or chicken kabobs (you can buy them at the Villa market) at the barbecues in front of the beach at night. The other owners we met were all so friendly & nice. Our second week we stayed at the Sheraton with an ocean view for a few nights & then the Westin (both great) & then ate our lunch & dinners out at restaurants in the Whalers, in Lahaina, or Mama's Fish House (about 45 minutes away, pricey but worth it). We are already planning our trip back!

• Liked — The views from the room & the good snorkeling beach
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Papillion, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

We stayed at this resort from June 16th - June 27th 2007. The rooms were clean, roomey and had everything you needed for cooking your own meals. We went to CostCo, which is right by the airport and stocked up. Prices were not nearly as bad as you would think. We heard horror stories, their high, but affordable. So plan your meals ahead of time, and shop for what you need, not what you want. The Safeway in Lahaina is great for small pick up items, make sure you apply for the discount card before shopping. The hotel pool was not to cold, maybe in January but in June it was beautiful. It was windy every day in the afternoon, but you know what, when you've been in the sun the entire day at the beach that wind feels great, it is not an inconveinence. We rented snorkle gear in Lahaina at Boss Frogs, great service, good equipment, don't get sucked into the cheap $1.99 per day crap, spend a little extra money and get the good mask and snorkel, it pays!!! The snorkeling right off the beach was the best we did, it's wonderful, just like a fish tank. I followed a 5' octopus my first day, that was cool, and he was only 20 yards from the beach. The further out you go, the bigger the fish get, scarier to, you'll be swimming and all the sudden you'll look down and it will be 80 feet deep. There are 3 turtles that like right off the beach, if you get up early in the am you will see them in the calm waters popping their head up for air. We went the the famous Black Rock to snorkel one afternoon, what a waste, I bet there were 200 people in the water, it was crowded, and fish were not nearly as abundant as they were right off the hotel. Black Rock gets some of the tour boats and it just gets to busy. We parasailed at UFO parasail at Whalers VIllage, the shuttle can take you there, they we nice, did a great job, and were very professional. They can arrange it for you at the hotel. We did a Luau at the Hilton, which is also accessable by shuttle with a three block walk. Believe me, do the walk, there were 700 people at our Luau and I can't even think about trying to get my car out of that mess. We rented a car the entire time, and used it everyday, some of the on-line weekly rates are better than renting it day to day or whenever you think you need it. We flew to Oahu one day, get your Island Air tickets early before you leave!!! They fill up fast and the latest flight back to Maui it 4:45p. When we got to Pearl Harbor at 9:00a there were 250+ people in line and we took the 7:30a flight out of Maui. Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri will pretty much take most of your time, you may get to the Air Museam but watch your time. Site seeing, when you leave the hotel, take a left and head to Mile marker 38 and hike down to the blowhole, I can't spell the name of it but it is cool, great picture. We went all over the island and took pictures but for sea scapes and just beautiful water, take the left and stop a lot. We got the visitors book "Maui Revisited" at Borders. The guy who wrote it lives there and just does a great job telling you about the island. It's the best book to buy. We did the Road to Hana, do it just to say you did !!! And take your motion sickness pills if you even get a little veritgo. Beautiful views and when you get to Hana you get to turn around and go back!!! Go early to miss the slow traffic. We ate at the hotel resturant a few times, the service was always good and I have no complaints on the food. Construction was not an issue and we were on that side of the building. My wife and son did the Atlantis Submarine tour and really enjoyed it. Lahaina is great for shopping, but don't buy at the first store you go to, look around, get prices you might find it cheaper down the street. If you need Harley shirts, go the the Harley shop across from the Banyan tree. Helo Hatties didn't impress me AT ALL, that is a tourist trap unless you want to dress your family all alike for the Luau, no bargins there. Enjoy your trip !!!

• Liked — It was beautiful
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!