“Fantastic Resort” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fresno, CA
“Fantastic Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

My wife and 8mo old daughter and another couple friend and their 10mo old daughter recently spent a week at the WKORV. We absolutely loved this resort. We rented a 2 bedroom lockout unit from a timeshare owner that was renting their week. The unit was absolutely perfect. The perfect size, ocean and pool view, fully detailed kitchen, washer dryer. The pools were very nice and drink service was just ok. THere were limited poolside servers for the amount of people present. Its not like its a big deal to walk to the bar though. We ate at all of the restaurants on site and they were all very good. Pricey but good. We utilized the free shuttle frequently however towards the end of the trip we realized it was easier to drive since we had the babies. The beach infront of the resort is very nice. there is excellant snorkeling right out in front and I took advantage of it daily. Because we rented from a timeshare owner we were considered owners on the resort. This unfortunately means that you do not get daily housekeeping, but rather only once midweek. We had to actually pick up after ourselves. We took full advantage of the kitchen and its amenities. We stopped at the savemart in the Canary Mall and bought a groceries mostly for breakfast, snacks, and booze. This saved us a tremendous amount of money seeings how chips and salsa at the pool are $10. We had a small cooler we would take to the beach and pool which I highly recommend. If you are traveling with children you can be assured this IS a family resort. If you are not tolerant to kids running and splashing around and haviing a wonderful time, then you may want to consider another resort. The gym on the property is VERY small and crowded, but I did not find it to be that big of concern as there is a great trail right next to the beach to run and walk on.
We attended the luau at the Sheraton, Black Rock. It was nice but my favorite still remains the one at the Maui Prince or now named Makena Beach Ocean and Golf Resort. I usually prefer to stay and spend the majority of our stay in south Maui (Wailea, Kihea), however I really enjoyed staying at this resort. It is removed from the large tourist crowds that are further south on Kaanapali beach. I was so impressed with the WKORV that I even attended their timeshare presentation (which I was very reluctant to as I had attended others that were so pushy and agressive). Their presentation was very professional and very low pressure. They offered a 50% of voucher to any Westin Property world wide if you attended.
I fully recommend this resort and would return without reservation. Rest assure that if you have already booked this place you are going to love it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed here on our first family vacation to a destination resort with our daughter who is 2 years and 8 months. The staff was very warm and friendly and they made sure that they helped us whenever needed. The property is very large so be ready for four pool areas and a walk to breakfast if you stay on the north part of the property.

I would warn people traveling without a family to understand that this is a family resort. We were originally going to stay here without our daughter and I don't think we would have enjoyed our experience because of all the kids. Plus the adult pool is located in the worst part of the resort and it doesn't have a view of the ocean.

san jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

This resort is fabulous for families with kids. There is a kiddy pool where they can scream as loud as they'd like from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. There are hot tubs and pools that they can jump into and send big splashes over all the other occupants. There is a long, sandy beach where they run all over, bumping into everyone they see.

no matter how long you stay, you get one cleaning. So use your one towel accordingly. Want to eat in your room? Good idea, it's fully stacked with utensils and the restaurant prices are ridiculous.

The best thing about this resort is its location; there is a reef right here with great snorkling when the waves aren't too rough. Good access to everything you'd want to do as well.

however, If you aren't into tourists stacked on top of each other, kiddies running around and absolutely no peace and quiet, look elsewhere. i can't recommend to anyone wh ois under the impression that Maui is a paradise.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

First, I have stayed at the original Westin Kaanapali Villas on 3 prior trips to Maui. However, this is my first stay at the newer North villas. There is one Irritant and one Show Stopper:

Irritant – The floors are not level near the walls. Really. I noticed upon entering my room that several drawers were open on the nightstands (both sides of the bed), and the dresser on the opposite wall. It looked like it had been ransacked. Thinking nothing of it, I pushed the drawers closed, but they immidately slid open. I looked down and noticed that there were folded pieces of paper under many of the legs throughout the unit to level them out! Having an open drawer is not a big deal until I banged into it at 3:00 am while looking for the bathroom.

Show Stopper – I had no idea that a sewage treatment plant was nearby, until the 10 mph wind blew it in my first night. Again, I had stayed at the original villas 3 times and never noticed this. As a test, I walked to the original villas and the smell was gone. A few hundred feet made all the difference.

I’ll come back to the original villas, but not to the North villas. The fantastic view, the great kiddie pool, great poolside bar and friendly staff do not offset the smell of poo.

Old Bridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Stayed for three nights after a five night stay in Oahu at the Westin Moana. Pretty new Hotel and Really clean. The undergound parking lot gets full quickly and can't accomodate the amount of guests. This is the same for the pool area. On two seperate occasions my family & I couldn't find a lounge chair to sit in. With that said we saw alot of people laying on the grassy area near the Koi pond. We instead headed out to the beach which was quite empty and just as enjoyable. Our room was very nice, kitchen, jacuzzi, large shower and of course the great Westin bed. One bad thing however was on one day of our stay housekeeping never showed up to tend to our room. After reading the hotel amenities book I noticed that if your a timeshare owner you only get your room cleaned every 2 days. However, we wern't staying on a timeshare and after returning from a long day we had to wait 30 minutes for clean towels in order to shower before bed, that was a drag. We did not eat dinner at the hotel but the Breakfast at the Ocean Pool Bar was nice. Oh and my kids (ages 6 & 5) loved the Pirate ship pool area and pool slide. On my next return trip to Maui I would consider staying here again as my overall experience was positive but either I'll ask for extra towels next time or try the Westin up the road.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

The room was very clean and the service was excellent. Everybody who worked at the hotel was pleasant and helpfull.The hotel is quite and away from traffic and has a private beach. The only thing we would of liked changed was where our room was. We had a long walk to the room but I guess you could say the walking was good for us. I would recommend the Westin as a great vacation resort.

• Stayed March 2010
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My wife and I with two teenagers went to the Westin Villa Resorts during Spring Break (March 28th thru April 4th) we are Starwood Vacation owners and had booked the Maui resort over 8 months ago during this time frame.

We live in NJ and our flight was out of JFK (TIP – Smart Park was great for parking!) on Saturday and we stayed at the LA Westin that night and took an early flight out of LAX the next morning arriving at OGG by 11am on Sunday.

We rented a car (Dodge Journey, very nice) and were at the resort by 1pm. Our room was ready when we arrived, we had gotten the one bedroom premium villa, having stayed at other Westin Vacation properties we knew exactly what we were getting, separate bedroom, large bathroom, full size kitchen, washer/dryer, (TIP – bring ½ the clothes you think you need and do some laundry) dining area and large balcony. Upon arrival we were told that we were upgraded to an Ocean View room, however the Ocean View was a bit of a stretch, had to stay on one side of the balcony to get the view, straight across you were looking into the North building. We tried for another room but the resort was booked for spring break and made the best of the view, after all it was located on the fourth floor not 1st facing the pirate pool.

The first thing we noticed while we were there was the wind. Very windy with gusts to 60mph and light rain showers on and off the entire week. The wind whipped the sand on the beach into your face and the rain was whipped around also. You can not do anything about the weather but it detracted from our experience of Maui. The wife and daughter went to the spa for pedicures and the employees there told her that this type of wind was very unusual for Hawaii. When the sun did come out and the wind died down a bit (Thursday) our Maui adventure truly began.

The resort was full of families with smaller children (spring break) which really didn’t bother us much. As parents of four older children we knew exactly what some of the other parents were going through, good and bad. Not sure about other weeks but if you are looking for a romantic getaway for two, I would think twice about going here or check posts that are not during spring break time.

We stocked up at the Safeway down the street in Lahaina, grilling foods, produce, water, cereal, beer & wine etc…. (TIP - print out the Safeway club application from the website before you go, fill it out, at check out hand them the application you get a club card on the spot and the discounts, saved over a $100.00 on our weeks order)

The grounds are beautiful and centered perfectly along the Maui coast with spectacular sunsets and great location among other resorts. It was very crowded here and challenging to get a pool chair (Spring Break) - started at 7am and still only got second tier seating, which was fine. When the chairs are all taken, go the beach, put your towel down and enjoy the Ocean and beach (a little on the small side) if you want you can take the shuttle to the other Westin down the road by Whalers Village and use the beach there, more sand and resort like. The pools themselves we were a little disappointing, no swim up bar and small.
(TIP – Go to the Welcome to your Vacation activity and find out about what Spa, Yoga and Bar specials that they will be running that week)

If you enjoy jogging/walking, the Beach walk is perfect, jogging early in the morning watching rainbows over the Pacific – Wonderful. There are two gyms on the property with treadmills, elliptical, etc... The equipment was sufficient but get there early if you want an early morning workout, place was packed by 6am.

There are plenty of grills, but they were always packed and if you wanted to use them, you had to wait your turn and bring the food back to your room; all the outdoor tables were taken most of the time we were there. Still everyone was polite and courteous, stories, recipes and beers were swapped while waiting.

Here is a brief description of what we did outside of the resort booked through the concierge service which was exceptional:
Excursions
• Cruiser Phil’s Sunrise Volcano Bike Ride – A must – family had a great Experience, thank you Thomas and Jonathan
• Teralani Sunset Whale Watch Cruise – Pay the little bit extra, worth every penny, clean sturdy catamaran, food and drink – crew was FANTASTIC
• Westin Luau – Good for your first Luau – had fun, we were able to upgrade and was not disappointed with the show or food – Open Bar
Our own Adventures:
• Hana Highway – This is something to check off that I did it in life – doubt I would want to again. When we were able to park somewhere the sites were pretty amazing.
• Town of Paia – If you go to Hana you will pass through this town, find the public parking and enjoy this quaint town. Check out Café Mambo (Khula Pork fajitas) and Moana Café (Anything for breakfast!)

We can’t wait to get back to Hawaii, absolutely fantastic; the Westin Ocean Villas were very nice; just missing something; maybe it was the lack of an Entertainment Staff pool side, swim up bar w/larger pool- something. Would definitely would stay here again, but next trip we will try another Westin Hawaii property.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!