“Highly recommend this hotel for your vacation” 5 of 5 stars

5th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, BC
“Highly recommend this hotel for your vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

We own a timeshare and traded some of our weeks into the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort. We traded into a 1 bedroom villa which was amazing. There was my husband and myself and our two daughters age 10 and 12. The room we got was considered an island view room but we had a view of the Koi Pond, pools, palm trees and the ocean. We stayed 2 weeks and had a different room each week. Both rooms were great and had fantastic views. We had a roll-away brought in and it was very comfy...had a pillowtop mattress. Much better than the hide-a-bed. Food at the resort was very expensive but with having a kitchen we were able to buy our groceries and make our own meals. We barbequed alot...which we loved doing. The pools are really nice and the beach was incredible. We stayed in the North building which is the newer one but used the pools at the South building as well. Lots of activies for the kids on site and lots of other things to do nearby. We were a short drive to Old Lahaina which was neat to see and of course with 2 daughters we spent some time at Whalers Village doing some shopping which was only a couple of minutes drive from the Resort. We were sad to leave and are looking forward to going back to this resort as soon as we can. We HIGHLY recommend this resort.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
Blackwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

I read aAbby Galel's review with a smile on my face. I am an owner and am very happy with preferential treatment. I can reserve further in advance and thus lock in a better room. If occupancy is low, traders will also have the opportunity of obtaining a better room. Did not understand the parking comment. We had two cars and always had a space. Absolutely no need for valet. The reviewer was also talking about KOV-N and not KOV. KOVN has a dark bottom pool.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

We foolishly purchased a Starwood 2 bedroom Westin Kaanapali in early 2005 when annual maintenance fees were about $1,300. Starwood has since jacked up the fees to $2,361 per year, in part to reimburse the company for other owners who have not paid their annual fees. Fees will likely be even higher next year. It is timeshare hell. We can not afford these extreme fees and can not sell because no one else wants to bear this burden either. Starwood/Westin are very aggressive in selling and in jacking up the rates without regard for the timeshare owners. BEWARE. Please do not make the same mistake.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
stueyman, owner at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
This review is written while uninformed completely
We just received our annual report and maintenace fee bill.
Yes, the fees are expensive but all owners know the costs, prior to buying.
The property taxes have skyrocketed due to the State coming after each fractional owner adding $400 to our bill alone
....pricey...yes... worth it ?
Darn Right ! Absolutely love KORS and Maui itself and can't wait to get back
Lee's Summit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

We own 2 beautiful oceanfront 1 bedroom villas in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico on a floating week basis. This trip to Maui was our 5th trip, we traded one of our weeks through Interval International and obtained a studio unit at the Westin Ocean Villas North. I had done alot of research including Trip Advisor and felt very good about the trade. Upon check-in the Front desk showed me where our villa was. It was a parking lot and highway view at the very back of the resort. I told her that villa was not acceptable, the next villa that was offered was on the ground level overlooking the koi pond and next to the restaurant. I asked if there was a possibility to upgrade and she offered an oceanfront for an additional $150 Per night plus tax. We accepted....however the villa was in an oceanfront building our room had a view of an empty lot, construction site and a glimpse of the ocean. These rooms are called Villas but are really only a hotel room at best. They are very clean, have nice amentities but are tiny.

The grounds are clean but the atmosphere at the Westin seems almost sterile. Where did all the beautiful flowers go?? The pools have all been painted a dark blue-green gray to make you feel like you are in the ocean ? Parking was a nightmare, we chose valet parking for $8.00 per day plus $5.00 for tax. The breakfast buffet at $20.00 per person was very minimal and the restaurants had no view. Were we really in Maui ?

I placed a call to Interval World and shared our experience. Customer service offered to move us to the Marriot. I turned this offer down since we had already paid the extra $150 per night which is non-refundable. Interval did refund me my trade fee and return my week back to me. Interval World is a Class Act.

Upon Check out the Front desk asked how my stay was and I explained our experience. I was shocked when she replied "Our Best Rooms Are for Our Owners. How would you feel if at your home resort you had a Non-Owner next to you." Unbelievable ! The experience is making us a little gunshy about trading our units again. I read a review today on the Sands of Kahana from another Interal World member who was told the same thing. Fortunately for them, SOK upgraded them from a horrible room to a nice ocean view. I just wanted to share this review with timehare owners to beware of what can happen when a trade goes wrong.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Skagit County, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Recently built, the Westin Resort Villas is a timeshare type property, and we had a 2 bedroom garden view room. On the trip was myself, my wife and a friend, so the two bedrooms worked out nice!

The rooms were very nice, which would be expected from such a new resort. There were great garden views of the Koi pond, and could see the pool from our lanai. An ocean view or ocean front room would be spectacular, but we were not disappointed! All the amenities of home in the room... Frig, stove top, microwave, flat panel TV's... a nice BBQ area outside for all to share, we did this 3 nights!

The staff was very friendly, and there are 2 different pools, plus a kiddie pool that has a cool pirate ship for the little ones to play on. The beach was only steps from the pool area, a very nice sandy beach out in front.

There is two restaurants along with a pool bar, as well as plenty of dining options within a mile or two. Whaler's Village is just two miles south, and the quaint old fishing town of Lahaina about five miles. We ate there the nights we didn't BBQ! Close to all, but seemed secluded as well. Nice feeling, nice place.

We hope to go back to this property again and again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I took a delayed honeymoon (7 days, 6 nights), and invited our wedding party to come along. Our best man & his wife, a bridesmaid, came along, and we had a blast!

When we originally booked our travel through Costco, we requested that our room to be near the party we were traveling with. We checked in together as well, and again stated our request. We were placed in an adjoining suite, which worked out perfectly! Our rooms were connected by a common entryway that was closed off to the hallway, but we could leave our doors open to go in & out of each other’s rooms freely, while still allowing for a good amount of privacy if we wanted it.

The view upon entering the hotel lobby is stunning - it makes a wonderful first impression. Checking in for us was very thorough and easy. Since we booked a package deal through Costco, we were given quite a few perks (spa admittance, percentage off spa services, $100 credit for Pulehu restaurant, $150 resort credit, breakfast buffet for 2), which the lady that we checked in with told us how to use, the easiest way to use them. She also mentioned their “going green” program, where you can exchange housekeeping for the day for $12 resort food credit. We took advantage of it, and had housekeeping 2 days out of 6, and had lunch for nearly free a couple times when we were at the resort.

With the deal we had, and the ratings I found on TripAdvisor, I didn’t do too much more research on the hotel, except to find out how many pools they had, how close the beach was, and if we would have a kitchenette. I was very happy to find a washer & drier in our room as well; with all the hiking & beach trips, we needed it! I brought my own detergent, but thankfully the hotel provides you with more because we ended up doing several loads while we were there.

The room we stayed in was wonderful. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel room so big, it felt more like a large studio. The kitchenette was key for this vacay - lots of storage for the drinks & snacks we brought. The fridge had an ice maker! Totally needed that. The bathroom was wonderful: big shower, awesome jetted bathtub, and good sink area with storage for my toiletries. The bed was comfortable. The couch, though, was hard & uncomfortable to sit on.

The breakfast buffet was average. I’m glad we didn’t have to worry about what to do for breakfast every morning, but by the 7th day, my husband & I were a bit buffet-ed out, so we went elsewhere. They had the best bacon & pastries, though!

The main pool area is a lot of fun. If we were on the hotel grounds, you could most likely find me in the pool, going doing the slide, or in a Jacuzzi. I was hoping to spend time on the beach & in the ocean, but the current was near the shore was too rough (that time of the year).

Their lunch selection is pretty good. The couple of times we had lunch at the hotel, everyone was satisfied with their meal. We really couldn’t complain about the price, since we ended up using resort credits – but from what I remember, their prices are pretty typical of hotel restaurants.

Dinner at Pulehu was fantastic! I kind of wish I hadn’t had so much to drink beforehand, as I would’ve liked to have savored the experience a bit more. But... it was a really fun night. :-) Our server, Ciara, was awesome for dealing with our inebriated party – she entertaining, prompt with everything and provided some great suggestions. I’ll list what we ordered.
- Lots of drinks
- Appetizers: crab cakes (oh-so delish) & calamari (pretty good)
- Entrees: zucca ravioli (pretty good; I like butternut squash, but I found the dish too sweet), pesto opakapaka (2 of us ordered this; pretty good, fish was cooked well) and lobsters & sausage (I wish I had ordered this instead! Thankfully my husband was kind enough to share a fair amount. It was by far the best dish ordered at the table!)
- Dessert: warm chocolate cake, shared between 4 of us

My experience at this hotel was incredible. I was sad to have to leave, and I hope the next time we’re in Maui that we are able to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Maui for a 10 day vacation - stopping in the Big Island and Oahu along the way. We stayed in a 1 BR villa and it was beautiful and very spacious. We especially liked the comfort of having a kitchen and washer/dryer in the villa which made it feel like home. They have a beautiful beach in the back of the hotel and the snorkeling there was better than many of the other areas that we tried out. You can swim pretty far out and the water is still shallow. There are also free shuttles from this hotel to a nearby shopping center which is a plus when you want to do a little shopping. The service is great and the pools were not crowded. It was an extremely relaxing hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!