“Beware before you Visit” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Beware before you Visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

We went for 11 nights and it cost between $300 to $450 a night for an ocean view (which is a clear view of the ocean in my opinion). The prices are not cheap in the current market conditions. Don’t forget you are paying for a shell not any food etc. Well where do I start I arrived to someone smiling on reception who gave me a key. We walked for nearly 20 minutes to the room and man was it bad. You could see the ocean like a pinprick in the distance and the view was looking over a building site and it was dirty I felt sick. I went back to reception to go through to assistant manager then manager of desk blah blah and after 3 hours of arguing and viewing rooms I got the room I thought I had paid for. The actual manager of the hotel said that the people with he timeshares have the ocean front not ocean view what I had??? I believe in being upfront and that the website should be correct so beware as you dont get what you think your paying for. I feel if you are a guest the staff try to treat you like a second-class citizen but allow you to pay Ritz Carlton prices.
An "OWNER" time share person was rude enough to remove my towels when I went back to my room for 20 minutes to grab lunch when I came back down she told me that I was obviously new and did not know the rules as you can imagine I was not happy. I though I was staying in a 5 star hotel paying for luxury not a 3 star in Spain. To be honest there were to many of the Americans that dont leave America the ones without passports not necessary the most sophisticated. I kept thinking how could they afford this. There were no Europeans and I like Cosmopolitan hotels with all nationalities. The staff in general were ok but the managers had a big attitude problem with a cant do attitude. On the plus side the views were amazing it was like being in Lost the series. The sea was lovely and the hotels had BBQ's that guest could use for free. Once I had sorted my problems I stayed away from reception as did not want to be screwed up the rest of my holiday. Would not recommend the hotel for non owners as its not worth it. Any questions please ask.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We stayed here last year and found the staff to be less than charming but the rest of the facility quite wonderful. Thanks to a good SPG rate we decided to go back....

We found it about the same - not quite as good as last time actually - and wound up checking out early and into the other Westin (there are TWO Westins on Maui) to complete our vacation. Glad we did.

A few things have changed for the worse since we last visited the resort.... the food has gotten more expensive (breakfast was about $15 last fall... a decent value for Maui - it's $20 now... and it's the exact same spread) and they've introduced these stupid little "towel cards" you must exchange for a towel at the pool. The cards are something else to remember when you go to the pool - chintzy if you ask me. At the other Westin they distribute pool towels the old fashioned way and I appreciated it after fuddling with the cards...

The staff, particularly the front desk, are as unpleasant as ever. With few exceptions, from check in to check out I found them seemingly annoyed by their guests. I stay in lots of properties (Starwood Gold) and on both of my recent stays I found the staff here (particularly the front desk) to be at the low end of hospitality when compared to other properties I've been to.... On the contrary, upon moving to Westin Maui (the OTHER Westin) I found the staff quite nice and definitely at or above the level I've encountered elsewhere.

I would strongly encourage anyone considering this resort to realize it's a) primarily a timeshare, and b) don't expect great service. Oh and if you book Ocean View, realize they have an extremely liberal interpretation of what this means.... partial ocean view at the Westin Maui (the OTHER Westin), and most other Maui resorts for that matter, is full ocean view at this place... Be warned!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Powder Springs, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

We just returned from a week at the Westin Villas (North) on an Interval International timeshare exchange and it was wonderful. We had a 2 BR unit and friends joined us and we had plenty of room everyone. I like the North villas better than the South because the 2nd BR has balconies.

I love that they don't charge you for self parking...wonderful perk considering most hotels are charging $20 - $30 per day.

We enjoyed it so much we requested the same property for next year...can't get enough of Hawaii!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

If you don't own a timeshare, and didn't finagle a sweet deal somewhere on the internet or by invite, you are going to shell out serious money for even the cheapest room. But remembering that anything in a great location on the water is going to be pricey, this place is tops (we've been here twice). You can BBQ by the sunset, snorkel with giant sea turtles, relax by one of two giant pools, soak in hot tubs, work out in one of two gyms, play XBOX 360 (there's about 12 consoles and there's always one free), cook, bake, or have a party in your suite, have lunch by the pool, or eat at one of the two terrific restaurants on property. There's studios & one-bedrooms with lock-offs (full kitchen, fold-out couch, dining area, big-screen plasma TV. You won't go wrong here. If you do decide you are in the market for a timeshare, Starwood Preferred Guest does have a terrific program with some outstanding properties worldwode. Great for families or for a romantic couple or a bunch of friends.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

After reading reviews on tripadvisor we decided to book this hotel. We found a great deal which included daily buffet breakfast and car rental. We booked a one bedroom suite as we wanted to have the kitchen to cook some of our own meals as the food in Maui is quite expensive. The room was clean, modern and very spacious. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and would sit out there enjoying the ambience each night. The Westin Heavenly bed was awesome! We stayed at the newer northern resort and had a ocean view. From the beach we were also able to see whales playing in the sea. We would highly recommend this resort as it is close to Lahaina (downtown where most activities are), had a great pool, and the snorkelling right off the beach is so great you do not need to book a separate snorkelling tour.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Bevery Hills
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

Maui is a hidden Gem and I love it. This property is a Gem if your traveling with kids. If you have kids, is the place to be, except for the fact that kids aren't allowed in the hot tub. Very, very stupid and unreasonable.

However, the service won me over. Sonya is the best. I repeat, Sonya is the best. Very helpful, we wanted to change rooms,no problem. Every time we came down to the front desk, she was helpful with everyone. That told me that she treats each customer that same. You can't train customer service.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Garibaldi Highlands, B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed at the Villas from Mar 19-Mar 28th, 2009 and enjoyed every minute of our stay....the service was excellent, staff ALL extremely friendly and helpful, especially on the front desk and valet/front door staff (we rented road bikes and kept them in their storage area) we got to know the guys pretty well. Only used the concierge service once, but was at the front desk everyday for something or other! mostly to get the business office (2 computers) key ..they were always helpful and smiling. There was no pressure ever about buying property there and it was actually only mentioned once (by the concierge). We used the shuttle service several times to Lahaina and that was great as well, ran once an hour. Taxis to Lahaina are expensive, but we did use taxis as well.
We loved the room, clean, spacious, Heavenly bed was so comfy! nice big bathroom with walk in shower and separate toilet room, kitchen with fridge, stove, dishwasher (we didn't use it however!) and a small washer/dryer we did use- fabulous!... (ocean view in bldg 2). They originally put us in bldg 4 with an 'ocean view' of a parking lot! so we were pretty insistent on getting another room and got a similar room in bldg 2 which we loved, overlooking the pool area........Only used the fitness room once as weather was amazing and did lots of power walking and beach walking, as well as some great road rides up to Honalua Bay....
The best best thing for me was power walking early morning on the boardwalk and seeing whales right offshore.....simply amazing, it is so BEAUTIFUL there and all along that boardwalk/beach. Would see people walking along smiling just so happy to be there, you could tell who had just arrived!
The restaurants on site are expensive, only ate at the one by the pool. Ate at some great restaurants in Lahaina, notably Mala Ocean side and Pacifico, both on Front street at opposite ends of town....incredible seafood and vegetarian options. Found eating out very expensive in Lahaina as well but good quality food/wine. Service in these 2 restaurants was excellent as well.
Went on two whale watching tours, we are members of the pacific whale foundation, only non-profit eco-organization that we strongly believe in! don't miss doing a trip with them, we did the 8:30 am cruise out of Lahaina.
Liked best: friendly staff, excellent service, clean, spacious room, beautiful grounds, lovely boardwalk area and fabulous stretch of beach, Whales!!! Flowers, birds, and gorgeous turquoise/blue clear waters!
Liked least: can't really think of anything, except leaving! I had a lump in my throat all day Friday before our departure the next morning!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!