“Peaceful Retreat...” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“Peaceful Retreat...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My favorite area in Kaanapali is north of Black Rock at the Westin South KOR Villas. North KOR Villas are a little smaller but the there is always more people with kids at the pools. South Villas is a calmer are... And we are just a shuttle ride away from Whalers Village of Lahaina...

Room Tip: If you want calm, request building 2 (odd rooms), 3 or 4. If you want a pool, bar & activities...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
We are pleased to hear that we are your favorite spot in Ka’anapali. Thank you for sharing your kind words and for choosing us as your home away from home.

Mahalo,

2,358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
San Clemente, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Vacations for most of us are precious time. First off I should start by saying that the Hotel has a strict check in time of 4:00pm and a check out time of 10:00am and the front desk clerk made me aware I should have known that. It's even glued to the front desk as you check in. I couldn't see that from 2500 miles away! Make sure you time your flights to meet their times. If not, you will be stuck like I was sitting around while waiting for your room to become available. I asked for a phone call if we could get in any sooner and never did get a call. I finally went up to the front desk about ten minutes before 4:00pm and they said our room was now available. Really? We took the early flight to be able to enjoy our accomodations but ended up wasting an entire day waiting for a room. It takes 6 hours to clean a room? I expected to see new carpet and paint.

The hotel has a North and South entrance. It's a fifty fity chance you will be at the wrong tower when you arrive since you will not know your room number ahead of time. I made the mistake of unloading my luggage myself because I was not greated when I arrived. (No aloha) When a bell person finally did show up, I gave him my name and he told me I was at the North Tower. Frustrated already, I packed up my kids and luggage into my rental again and headed North.

I unloaded again only to find I was 6 hours too early to get into my room and realax. I just wanted to get out of my 48 state clothes and into my new shorts and shirt. The front desk person was very uninterested in accomodating us but did offer us a room back at the South tower with a wonderful view of the parking lot and main roadway. I offered to pay for an upgrade but they had nothing and offered nothing except keys to the locker area. Once they were done with us we stood back from the reception area in Shock and Awe like three deers in headlights. Not a sole come over to us except a kind bellman who pointed us in all the right drection finally. So the bellboys run the hotel. Must have been the GM's day off. I ended up opening up my bag in a out of the way hallway, pulling out some shorts, shirt and some flip flops and changing in a public restroom. They do offer a locker area around the pool but I didn't feel like hauling all our luggage down to the beach to do this. (Aloha again) I travel in my job for a living and this is the kind of treatment I get at the La Quinta Inn. I take that back they are more accomodating now that I think of it. Not what you would expect from a luxury hotel in a vacation destination.

There are four restaurants on the resort. Two of them outside that serve grill food and one does a dinner. Very overpriced! Fish and chips I think are $19. drinks are $10 and they are not great. Being in Hawaii I ordered a Mai Tai thinking this is where this drink originated from so it should be great. Wrong! It tasted like a petroleum bi-product. I sent it back and got a beer. Later I went to the other outdoor bar and grill and asked about the Mai Tai thinking it was just sub par bartender skills but the staff asked me if I was expecting real fruit juices in my drink. Ya! Staff informed me it was some pre-made crap that you get on an Alaska airlines flight for free. REALLY?

Costco is just past the airport as you head to any of the hotels. Make sure you stop there before you check in. Nothing is in walking distance of this hotel so you will need buckle up if you want anything off campus and who wants to drink and drive. There is a little shack accross the street that was actually really good if your in a pinch and are tired of the bar food and prices. The resort does offer BBQ's which everyone takes advantage of and I know why. They are clean and work well but who wants to cook or clean up after. Your on vacation!

These rooms double as time share space. In the room we got, it had a small kitchen. Once you try the food at some of the restaurants, you'll be glad you have one. It comes well stocked with all the small wares you will need but things like salt and pepper you will have to purchase on your own.

I made the mistake of getting into the hot tub. It smelled like a sewer and I got right out. With all the kids, I can only imagine why. The beach is really non-existant. Once you step in, It's a shear drop into the coral. Wear some kind of water shoe or fins because you will be cut to shreads and your children will be sucked out to sea. Great snorkling if your are an experienced swimmer/diver but definetely not for your four year old. Choose a hotel with more of a cove for water fun and be safe. I live by the ocean and I felt like I was in Huntington Beach and not Hawaii. If you want that Aloha experience I suggest anyone of any of the fine hotels on the island. This is a real lack luster hotel with swap meet jewelry just past reception.

It's been five years since my last vacation. My last stay was at the Grand Wailea.
The Wailea area has some of the nicest beaches and hotels. Shops and restaurants are in walking distance and they promote relaxation, good service, food, drinks, etc. all at resort pricing but if it's above average you don't mind paying it right? Your on vacation!

Last to watch out for is the concierge that doubles as a time share agent. There I was, no room, tired, frustrated, yet and they want to sell me time here. Are you kidding me! I finally agreed to a set time just so she'd stop asking me to look at there presentation but never made it. Gee, I wonder why? Am I really on vacation?

Maybe I have high standards when on vacation but who doesn't? I expect certain things to be right when on vacation in Hawaii. I don't think I have ever had an average experience while on vacation until now and I am being kind when I say average.

GM you need to get out a little more and see what's happening at other resorts. Your lack of attention to your operations really shows and it begins at your front door. Make sure you get out there and see what is going on with your vacation travelers. Not all of us know the ropes at your time share/resort. Guesing which entrance to come to is just wrong dont you think? No one to greet you once you arrive? Are you that short staffed that I have to unload my own bags? I had plenty of tip money.

Room Tip: Hard to get a room with a good view in this resort. I noticed that the developers have even built...
Dear Frank S,

Thank you very much for your review and for allowing us the opportunity to speak with you while you were here. Our Director of Front Office has also recently reached out to speak with you directly. While we cannot take back the occurences of your stay, we are truly disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Please know that we have taken your comments into great consideration and have followed up with our teams to improve in the areas you specified. Thank you again for your feedback.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We just enjoyed 6 days here and we did enjoy our stay. We were a little disappointed with our room location in building #4. It is advertised as gardenview but was only a car parking lot out our window. We realized how much we love a balcony and this was not provided in these studio rooms which we did know prior to. The rooms and common areas in these buildings are well maintained and everything is lovely and clean. We found service to be adaquate, not overly friendly though. Yes the "saved chairs" thing is very annoying when you see towels saving chairs at 830am and the guest shows up at 130pm to use...typical in many resorts now it seems. A little disappointed in the restaurants, especially the sports grill over on the north side but we LOVED walking over to Dukes Club next door where the food and service are exceptional!! Ate there 3 nights and 1 lunch during our stay it was so good! The timeshare people were actually very pleasant, not overly aggresive. We did the tour and would perhaps have purchased but having to decide at time of sitting was too much pressure for us, would have liked at least one night to think it over...our loss I guess. We would be happy to return but would need a room with a balcony and view for sure!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We have spent a number of years here. Has always been a good option for a family wanting s clean up to date unit with a kitchen. Restaurants are passable but were were better in the past. Much better food at other places around the island and friendlier service. They are snobby here.

Pool is annoying. Can't get a chair past 830 and they don't enforce the no saving policy. Had kids toys and a PFD stolen on two of our days there. There are less than classy people here. For the woman who asked if that was our float for our five year old- it was. Thief- you made a little girl very sad. Classy.

• Stayed March 2013
Newport Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have always stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua when in Maui so this was our first visit to the Westin Kaanapali Villas. We were wowed and surprised from the moment we pulled up to the valet at check-in. The resort consists of two large properties. The South villas and the North villas. South units were built in 2003 and the north units were built in 2007, although there appears to be no difference in design or quality. This resort is truly one of the most beautiful properties on Maui.

The public facilities at this resort are incredible. Large, meandering pools, numerous hot tubs, and a separate children's pool area equipped with its very own pirate ship. Great beach area and service to go with it. Great outdoor bars where you eat, drink and watch plenty of sports while enjoying the gentle breezes from the nearby ocean. Tennis courts, two workout facilities and numerous barbecues for outdoor grilling.

The villas are equally incredible. We had a two bedroom villa. Two very large bathrooms with jacuzzi tubs and separate shower stalls. Nicely decorated. Large kitchens in the main part of the villa with a separate small kitchen in the second bedroom. Perfect for families as you can load up with groceries as we did for breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc. They even unload your vehicle and bring your groceries to your villa. I was able to get the kids out to the pool and beach within an hour of checking in while my wife got groceries and I did not have to worry about helping unload the supplies. We enjoy dining at nice restaurants in the evening, but during the day it is nice to have the option of the kids grabbing food from your own kitchen. There is a Costco located just outside the airport entrance or for a more convenient location there is a Safeway in Lahaina Cannery Mall. Even with the food in your own villa, there are great food and drink options at the pool bars and we certainly took advantage of that as well.

The service was well beyond expectations and easily compares to that of other five star resorts, and the staff was incredibly friendly. Most people staying at this resort are here for a week or longer and often times with extended family. Very easy to become friends with other families and the children all have a great time.

We plan on returning in the future. I highly recommend this resort for families, especially those with young children. There are other properties you should consider if you are honeymooners. You can enjoy your honeymoon here, but be prepared to be surrounded by families and children throughout your stay.

This resort is setting new standards of service and options for families vacationing in Maui.

Room Tip: The design of the property really allows nearly all rooms to have great views and accessibility. Th...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Quick 45 minute drive from the Kahukui airport, very quiet and peaceful. Tons of activities close by. Staff are very nice and courteous. Our kids wanted to go back to this place after going to Honolulu from here. Lots of out of resort eateries close by if you don't want to eat at the resort.

Room Tip: Suite rooms with kitchen / washer/ dryer are useful if you have 2 or more kids
Aloha Mithilan T,

Mahalo for taking time to post your review. We completely understand why the kids would want to come back to end your family vacation. We will be here the next time you choose to come to Maui and look forward to welcoming you.

reedy creek queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Overall the resort is very comfortable and the staff at reception and check in were polite and friendly. However we had selected a unit with a sea view and paid extra for the privellege. We arrived about three hours before check in so lounged around the pool area and the beach . there was a lot of whales around and we were looking forward to relaxing on the balcony enjoying the view. How disapointed we were when the rooms turned out to be facing the pool with just a tiny glimpse of the sea from one of the windows and none at all from the other(we had two adjoining units a 1 bed and a studio lock off. we asked for a change but were told the resort was full and there was no other accomadation available. a 150 dollar compensation 75 dollar per room was added to the room and as we only had a three night stay we had no choice but to accept, but this does not cover the extra cost that the sea view rooms had cost in the first place let alone the compensation for the disapointment. The resort is well placed with spacious gardens and well maintained public areas but the rooms we stayed in are starting to look a little tired and were clearly not sea view. overlooking the garbage trucks is not my idea of luxury.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!