There are many great things about this resort, but there were some negatives as well. Negative enough that they outweighed the pros and I would not return. First, the pros:
- The in-room amenities are top-notch. The heavenly bed, high quality finishes and TVs and having a washer/dryer was a huge benefit. We used it almost daily.
- If you have small children, there are 2 pools that are only 1 1/2 feet deep, which is great for parents who dont want to be on guard the whole time you are at the pool.
- Everything you need is right there for you at the resort and the shuttle to Lahaina and the other Westin are a great benefit as well.
- The restaurants were better than average. Normally Im not too impressed with Starwood restaurants.
- The studio is extremely small. Its a hotel room with a fridge. We thought we could get by with just our one 4 year old, but we didnt even have anywhere to put our suitcases. If you have more than 2 people, do not get a studio. We did upgrade to a one bedroom (at a cost), and it was much better.
- If you want to be at the pool with the water slide, plan on getting there at 8am for a chair, or paying extra for the reserved chairs (all of which line the pool..if you dont want to pay, you cant be right up next to the pool).
- The quality of your stay is going to be VERY dependent on where your room is located and there are alot of poorly located rooms (I would venture that 1/4 of the resort has bad room placement). Our first room was in building 7 facing Molokai, which was ok, but it was towards the road and very noisy. If you come all the way to Maui, you want to sit on your deck and hear birds (or silence), not the highway. Once we moved to a one bedroom, we were in building 6 and didnt have highway noise but had generator noise. Loud enough that we never sat on our deck or had the door open for a breeze. We tried to move rooms again, but there were never any better options. All availabe rooms were close to the road, over a parking lot or right outside the kid pool. This is the main reason I would not return. I would not want to take my chances on getting a lousy room again. It ruined the whole experience. And there seem to be way too many pooryly situated rooms.