“Perfect for families--- missing that touch of "luxury"” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Perfect for families--- missing that touch of "luxury"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed 12 nights for our honeymoon at the Westin Kaanapali Villas. Great stay... room was huge, included a washer and dryer, great location, nice pools, etc. When we think about this hotel though, there is nothing that stands out to us that would make us return if it were just the two of us. The hotel was filled with families with kids, which I think would be fantastic once we do have a family. However, if you are looking for an upscale or luxury resort, I would not include this in my list. But, it is a four star hotel, which fits great in this category.
The hotel was spotless, but we did have to request housekeeping to come clean our room on 4 or 5 days during our stay. When we would come back in late afternoon after a day at the pool, it was still not clean.
We had breakfast each day the hotel, which was included in our room rate. The daily buffet does not change though, so for variety go to the Sheraton or Westin. The Westin has a larger selection and a make-your-own omelet stand. We didn't go to the Westin until our next to last day and wish we would have gone sooner.
The pool chairs do fill up fast, so get to the pool early. The beach is beautiful but you do have to rent chairs to sit down there, or else just use your towel. There are two gyms, and for a resort this size, they do fill up fast. We did use the spa, which did have the prices of a luxury hotel. We got a couples massage, which was nice. Nothing spectacular, but it was perfect to relax us at the beginning of our stay. Use the coupons if you can or ask for a deal.
The sports bar on site has tons of TVs and during big games, it does fill up fast with fans. We are sports fans and loved this! Daily happy hour starts at 4:00. The food was also very good here.
Note that there are two buildings at this resort... when we checked in on our first night we unloaded all of our bags, went to check in only to find we were in the wrong building. Thus, we had to pack up our car and move to the other building. Maybe just stop at the security stand where you enter the resort to avoid this.
Use the free shuttle to Lahaina, which stops at the Sheraton and Westin, to avoid driving. It comes about every 20 minutes or so.
All in all, we had a great trip but as I mentioned, we wished we would have chosen a more luxury resort for our honeymoon. We researched every hotel in the area though, and for the room rate, this was a great deal. I can't knock the hotel since we chose this ourselves.

Room Tip: Building 5, where we stayed, faces the kiddie pool. If you are on your honeymoon or looking for som...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

2,391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
Plano, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We own an oceanfront timeshare at the Westin Villas North. For the last 5 years we have come to this property in January for 2 weeks and we have had the best services and quality stay everytime. The comforts of the villa (especially the Heavenly beds and jaccuzi tubs are great) and the resort aminities are first class all the way. This year we brought our daughter and son-in-law and our 1 1/2 years old grandson with us. The General Manager of the resort, Angela Nolan went out of her way to accomodate our needs and I can't thank her enough for making our stay at the Westin North Villas a stay to remeber for a life time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Aloha! We greatly appreciate you sharing your Westin Villas experience with other travelers and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your Maui vacation with your daughter and her family. How wonderful! Thank you for your kind words about Angela. We feel very fortunate to have her as part of our ohana, and she truly is passionate about providing unforgettable experiences for our guests. Thank you again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Maui soon. Happy New Year!
Mahalo,
Sulinn
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I love everything about this resort, people go out of their way to make sure you are happy. The whole experience was very positive, the restaurant has delicious food all day long. the pools and hot tubs clean, lots of towels everywhere you look. nice cabanas. I am looking forward to go back some day. Shuttle to Lahaina is is free almost every hour.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Hobart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We spent a week at the Ocean Resort Villas with a couple of good friends and had a fantastic time. The hospitality on Maui is first rate. We enjoyed the restaurants at the resort and in Lahaina where there is fantastic variety and had a great game of golf on the nearby course. We own a vacation unit at the resort, so may be biased, but recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ocean view have the best outlook
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

As a Westin Vacation Owner I had not had the pleasure of staying at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas until this past fall. What a treat! It was all that I expected and more! The check in process was seamless. all through my stay I found the personnel in the lobby area friendly and eager to help, whether it was to simply answer a question, provide directions, or to discuss activities for the week. The rooms are well planned, clean and have all that one needs to vacation: a huge kitchen in the 1 bedroom, with a slightly smaller one in the studio; a washer and dryer in both; a lovely balcony facing the pool and courtyard with a limited view of the ocean from where I was located; very comfortable beds; fabulous shower and tub in a huge bathroom. There is once a week maid service to freshen the room and provide clean linens. The grounds are magnificent with beautiful flowers and trees, a well-manicured lawn area, playground space for young children and the beach and ocean just a few feet from the hotel. There are restaurants on the grounds to satisfy ones needs: the Ocean Pool Bar and Grill is located poolside between the two South towers and is easy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Pailolo Bar and Grill is located in the North Towers area near a pool; The Pulehu Italian Grill and Cafe sports an outstanding Italian menu and seems to be busy everynight. I came in one night after having eaten in Lahaina and wanted some of their sorbet. There was a long line waiting, but when I told the hostess what I wanted and that I was alone, she accommodated me within minutes. (I was dressed nicely, not in shorts and a T-Shirt like many who were waiting. I have to believe that had something to do with the quick service, as this is a restaurant where one should not come in from the beach or trekking all day and expect to eat.) It was the best sorbet I have had! In addition, there is the General Store and the market where one can buy limited food items as well as sundries and souvenirs. There are programs for everyone at the Westin! Many programs are designed specifically for children, while others appeal to adults only and then for all ages. There was ample room for all programs to be held with out infringing on the space of others. Free shuttle service is provided to the other Starwood properties on the island, to Whaler's Village and to Lahaina, the Cannery and Hilo Hatties. Being an owner, I chatted with the sales staff about the property and the options available. There is no high pressure and they are there to serve. Because I had such a great time, my daughter, son-in-law and I are going back this coming June for a week's stay. We anticipate it will be a great week!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We appreciate having the convenience of a nice hotel in a Condo type setting (room service, Spa, etc. ) but keep in mind that the Resort Villas are primarily time-shares. The "guests" bring down coolers of drinks and food around the pool deck, along with BBQ items etc. It seemed chaotic and over-populated every where you went. Good luck trying to find a deck chair after 10am.
We will choose a real condo resort next time or a real hotel that allows guests some solitude. The fusion of the two didn't work for our family.

Room Tip: Ocean view /ground floor are the best but the pricey.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Manhattan Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I am a travel agent and selected this property for my family based on location, condo amenities, and recommendations of people I know who own there. Well....it was quite simply the worst place I have ever stayed. Not for more upscale travelers with no little kids. The building and setting could be in anywhere USA. No Hawaain feel, charm, or hospitality. Examples: couldn't sit on our balcony as so close to the highway, felt like back in LA...cost $100 for us to sit on beach with chairs and umbrellas per day!!!...pool heater broken so couldn't swim once...17 turns in hallway to get to our room- like a rat's maze...I could go on and on. Checked out and moved to the Ritz Carlton- best thing we ever did! Hoping for a refund of our pre-paid last 3 nights. Also, need to mention....I have never seen so many posted rules everywhere!!! Felt like Big Brother...really appalling.

Room Tip: You need to stay in ocean front buildings. Otherwise terrible highway noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for your comments. We are troubled to read about your stay and would be grateful for the opportunity to contact you directly to discuss the details of your experience that led you to move to another resort. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings on our behalf. I have sent you a private message requesting for your preferred contact information so that we may reach out to you. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Mahalo,

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!