“A great condo experience with most of the amenities and services of a hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Laguna Beach, California
“A great condo experience with most of the amenities and services of a hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Our family usually stays at high end luxury resorts (Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.). We chose to stay at this property because we got a good deal and thought we would give the "condo" approach a try as we have two kids that are getting older and a single room in a hotel can be a challenge. We were impressed with the quality of the rooms, the pool has a "hotel like" water slide for the kids and it is on a very nice beach in close proximity to shops and restaraunts (long walk or short drive). We also liked happy hour by the pool ($4 Mai Tais!) and enjoyed the option of having some meals in the room. We did not like that maid service was offered only every three days. Many employees went out of their way to be friendly and extra helpful, including Sheena at the front desk when we checked in. I usually just take care of the logistics at check in and try to move through the process as efficiently as possible. I found myself having a nice conversation with Sheena as she asked about my family and the kids, all without slowing down the check in process. Overall we enjoyed it and will likely return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
sulinn, Manager at The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Aloha and thank you for taking the time share your experience. We are honored that you have chosen us for your family vacation and are happy to hear that Sheena personally interacted with you. Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We can’t wait to see you and your ohana (family) again.
Mahalo,

2,355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Oak Harbor, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the North Villas August 14th - 21st to celebrate my 50th birthday. We had a 1 bedroom villa in building 6 with a pool and ocean view. The room was great with a fully equipped kitchen. Since my husband is a fantastic cook we ate a lot of our meals at our villa on the Lani. There are large grills located on the property where we met many nice people that gave us ideas on where to go and what to see since they had been on Maui before. We purchased most of our groceries from Safeway (be sure to get a Safeway savings card, it's free) and found the prices for the things we purchased to be not anymore than other vacation destinations we have visited. We also purchased items at Farmland Foods and Times Market. Since we rented the property we had daily maid service and always found our room to be very neat and clean. It's also nice having a washer and dryer available.

We enjoyed the pool area and especially the beach which has one of the best reef's we've snorkeled on before. The only negative was I was treated very rudely by a towel boy who said I was damaging the reef with my sunscreen and I needed to purchase their brand of natural sunscreen. I had not worn the sunscreen in the ocean but had put it on to use at the pool.

Checkout is at 10am and we didn't need to be at the airport until 8pm so we were given key cards to use at a lounge room which allowed us to use the pools and beach until we needed to leave. The lounge has access to showers and towels, so we were able to enjoy another full day at the resort.

My husband and I would recommend this resort!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Happy Birthday! Thank you so much for choosing us for your special occasion. We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful time. I would like to extend our apologies for the incident you had with our pool services agent. They are very passionate about protecting the environment, but by no means do we expect them to treat anyone rudely. We will follow up with our team so that this will not happen again. Otherwise, we greatly appreciate your 5 rate review and look forward to welcoming you back again for many more birthday celebrations.
Mahalo,
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

We traded our timeshare at Atlantis Harborside for Maui. (Atlantis can't be compared to anything.) Maui is beautiful. The resort is the prettiest of the Starwood places I've been. the pools and landscaping are super.
But, you get a studio for the price of a small one bedroom elsewhere, and ocean view included parking lot view. There also seemed to be a lot of nickle and diming. Every activity carried a fee.Still, if you have the opportunity Hawaii is Hawaii.
It is a Westin, so you get a great bed, and there are two free shuttle buses that take you where you need to go locally. A car is not necessary if you aren't going to do much off property, but may be cheaper than taxis if you have a family with you.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We (couple with three boys ages 8, 8 and 11) just wrapped up 7 days at this resort and the experience was as close to flawless as one can get - Paradise comes to mind. I read a lot of the reviews before booking and arriving and the negative ones I simply do not understand. The service was prompt, the workers were friendly and helpful and any requests we made were handled quickly. We stayed in a one-bedroom villa which was one of the largest resort rooms we ever stayed in. Beautiful layout, modern kitchen, jacuzzi bath, separate shower, king size bed, couch with pull out bed, full refridgerator, balcony with two chairs and table, everything was clean, modern and comfortable. There are at least 12 gas grills set up overlooking a grassy lawn that leads to the beach - the grills all worked well, were kept clean. And, by the grills, there are a number of tables with umbrellas and chairs for you to sit down and relax and eat. The beach is nice and the snorkeling off the beach was among the best snorkeling spots we visited on Maui and that includes Turtle Town and Molikini. The reef is sometimes a mere 10 feet or less from shore, lots of colorful fish and turtles to see. The only two downsides were the slide, which was a bit slow for my adventurous boys, and the snuba guy (free demonstration is cool - your kids actually do snuba in the pool) is a bit aggressive in trying to sign you up for his beach snuba tours. But, he is trying to make a living so understandable. I would just say to anyone that based on our experiences we have ZERO hesitation in recommending this resort - it is 5 stars all the way for us.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011 via mobile

I checked in yesterday with another family. We were checking 2 rooms that we wanted close together. In the computer they were reserved in buildings on opsite sides of this vast property. Hannah was the lucky one to help us with our demands. She was so patient and accomadating. She did finally get us in the same building just down the hall from eachother. Yeah for Hannah. And the rest of the trip is a fairytail and sunset ending and happy children...

• Stayed August 2011
Aloha! Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge Hannah. We can’t be luckier that Hannah is a part of our team. She truly shows time and time again how she genuinely cares about our guests and their experiences. I will be sure that she is recognized. Mahalo again for your comments.
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I loved staying at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort and I will definitely be coming back. My one bedroom villa was the perfect place to come back to after exploring Maui, but I could have easily spent my entire stay at the resort.
The beds are exactly as they call them: heavenly. I tend to be a restless sleeper, but I didn't miss a wink of sleep during my 6 night stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights for our honeymoon. Great staff (front desk, concierge, cleaners, restaurant, bell staff) everyone greeted us saying hello and seemed happy to work there. Great buffet breakfast with lots of variety. Beach access, lots of pools with separate pools for kids. Also recommend the spa. Gym meets your needs and despite being small was not over crowded. Will definitely go back. Concierge staff were great resources for other places to go and eat and also arranged for extracurricular activities for us. I definitely recommend trying to catch the sunrise on Mt. Haleaakala...but be sure to dress for the temperature drop and being a camera (this is one opportunity to take a picture where you are literally above the clouds).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas? Share your experiences!