“Very Relaxing!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
San Diego, California
“Very Relaxing!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

We stayed in a two-bedroom, two bath unit and it was very comfortable and exactly what we needed. I enjoyed this property very much. It is small and quiet. The two bedrooms are large, they have a full kitchen, dining room table, living room, with a spacious lanai (balcony) stackable washer/dryer, and two full bathrooms. The bedroom without a bath attached also had a kitchenette and the sofa in the living room has a pull out sleeper. We did not use this, but if you need it, it is there. The grounds were well kept and the fresh water pool was great (but small and a little cold) It was very tropical and the jacuzzi had a sand bottom- that was neat. We would love to return! Thank you Kahana Falls!!

Stayed September 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
S[pokane, Wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

We were finally able to trade our RCI week for one in the Maui location we wanted but were only able to get the "hotel room" available. Reading some of the reviews made us very nervous about the size and lack of window so we were very pleased when we checked in. The room was very nice, large enough for two and the jacuzzi tub was a great bonus. We had a microwave, fridge and toaster and could warm up simple meals. The grounds are beautiful, landscaped and maintained very well. We always had a comfortable place to sit and especially liked to take a dip in the hot tub and pool at night with the tiki torches and lights creating a lovely atmosphere. There were places to bar-b-que and eat outdoors, great for those of us without a kitchen. Everyone around us seemed to be enjoying themselves. The staff was wonderful. The resort was small but so nice we are considering buying a unit on the resale market. Yes, not having a lanai or view did detract from the location but we were grateful to finally spend a wonderful week in Hawaii.

• Liked — Lovely grounds, great location, clean, well maintained property.
  • Disliked — The room had no lanai, no view and we kept the small window shaded because of foot traffic past our room.
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to get a room on an upper floor with partial view.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

I was able to get here through my timeshare exchange within the last six weeks. I have (checking out tomorrow) a studio unit. The positives: grounds are well kept, staff friendly, Full kitchen, I'm in Maui...Negatives: Accomodations are average at best, the bathroom is older, not totally cheesy, but not even Marriott quality, more like EconoLodge. In the studio, you sleep on the pullout couch in the living room, my view was of the parking lot. Beach is across the street. Know these things upfront and you won't be angry. We like to cook and had great meals after going to Safeway, Wal-mart etc for foodstuffs. We surely saved a bundle because meals here can be quite pricey. There is a grill, tables, and nice stone hot tub on the grounds that made for great evening meals. If cooking is not your thing, bring your cash.
If you go visit Grand Wailai hotel or a really nice condo you may come back to your "basic accomodations" mad as hell.
We got the manager Lynn to show us a one bedroom. (She resells a few units and there are great deals to be had-visit her b4 being suckered by the fancy sales presentations that are rampant on the island). The resort is getting new furniture and I must say it was nice. It was a step up from the studio, and I wouldn't have minded being there for a week. The "hotel unit" made me thankful for the studio I have. We would have killed each other in that closet with the microwave and college fridge!
RENT A CAR!!! There is too much to see not to.

• Liked — Well kept grounds
  • Disliked — Pull out bed
  • Tips/Secrets — Do your research-Be clear on what you're getting
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2006

This was the worst hotel experience in my life. We first booked a smaller one bedroom in the back but when we went to look at it, it reeked of bug spray and the room was tiny. I don't even know how they can call that a one bedroom. So we upgraded to a bigger one bedroom on the 3rd floor. The room is a nice size and that's about all I can say about it. We had a roach problem in the room -- we had a few crawling around the living room and one woke up my husband in bed as it crawled up his arm! Needless to say we were both very traumatized and would never stay here again. We spoke with the hotel but they said it was normal to have roaches since it was a tropical island. They were also in the process of spraying the entire complex during our stay. Needless to say the smell was offensive and uncomfortable. We've been to Maui and other islands many times without encountering a roach in our hotel! In addition to the roach problem, the furniture was old. The bathroom was also very old. And the facilities were all very small. The pool is barely bigger than a kid size pool. We will never stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Roach problem
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2006

Problems we encountered:
1. The "hotel type" unit was absolutey tiny and very dark with little to no light, especially as there was no window. There was one small window to a dark lobby.
2. The ceiling fan which was supposed to be fixed in 30 minutes didn't get fixed until the second day.
3. I saw ants in the room.
4. When that small window was open, you heard the loud sound in the room of what appeared to be a very old AC unit.
5. While the manager was professional in her concern for the guest, the night desk clerk who worked there was EXTREMELY rude and made we waste a lot of time very much ruining my vacation mode for a few hours. I was shocked at what he told me.
6. No patio or lanai to open up door to get some fresh air. Just closed off walls (e.g., the dungeon feeling). Not on the beach, but I did know this so it was not there fault.
7. Was disappointed that they had another room, a studio, that they would not allow me to use even though it was available. They did let me stay there for one night but I basically had to move mountains to make this happen. As a very experienced business and personal traveler, I believe good management would have made the room upgrade at no charge. They wanted to charge me $35 per day.
8. Toilet was not working properly as it would run.
9. Room in general, could definitely use a face lift (e.g., AC, television was very small, bathroom outdated, carpets)

Positives:
1. I bought last minute over the internet and only paid $275 for the week. Otherwise I would have been extremely angry. I guess it once again proves, you get what you pay for.

By the way, this is the first time I have ever written a review of a resort and I have stayed at a lot of places.

• Liked — the cheap price I paid over the internet
  • Disliked — room was like a dungeon
  • Tips/Secrets — try another place
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Kahana Falls for a week while on our honeymoon, and had a wonderful time. The resort is small, but very clean and well kept. The pool was warm, beautiful and very relaxing. I can not say enough about the front desk staff, one gentlemen in particular, who was very helpful. He gave us great advice on wonderful little places to eat and visit that we would never have found on our own. The room was small, but had everything we needed for a great stay. My only complaint was the slamming doors. Our neighbors left every morning at about 6am, and woke us because the doors do not catch themselves and close quietly. Other than that, I have no complaints. It was also close to restaurants, which was very nice. If you're looking for a 4 Seasons or Ritz Carlton type place, don't stay here, but if you want a low key relaxing vacation, I recommend Kahana Falls.

• Liked — The beautiful pool and helpful staff
  • Disliked — The slamming doors
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

Kahana Falls is a wonderful place to stay. It's quiet and relaxing and very friendly. If you're looking for a 5 star resort as in Hyatt or Westin.........this isn't it. Of course you won't be paying those prices either.

The staff is friendly and helpful. The concierge are incredible.. very good, know their stuff. Betty, Kathleen and Jeremy are the best, they took care of us from start to finish. They told us that the price wouldn't be the cheapest .....but we got the best service and the best recommendations. You get what you pay for. The person who found a cheaper Helicopter tour probably got a cheaper helicopter tour. . The concierge recommend the best companies and then they offer great discounts on those. If you want to go with a cheaper tour......they will book it for you but..........don't complain later. Everything we did was top notch.

Kahana Falls is a fun place to stay........we recommend it.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Kahana Falls? Share your experiences!