“Kahana Falls was GREAT” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Calgary, Canada
“Kahana Falls was GREAT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed in April 2013 in a studio & hotel unit with another couple. Adequate room for 4 adults. Great view of ocean from units 501A. Did find minimal amount of cutlery and dishes but since we had the second unit adjoining we were able to borrow from the other kitchen. Stayed here using RCI points and enjoyed our time. Will definetly recommend this to others. The pool and hot tub area was beautiful with the two waterfalls and flowers. Only drawback was the very slow WIFI.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Mahalo for your comments! We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Kahana Falls. Our Ohana can't wait to welcome you back!

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Surprise, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I had traded this as an exchange on Trading Places. They assigned me in the small, dark, back lot room from a four star trade on Kona. Finding this out, for an additional $200 they gave me a very nice 2 bedroom This place is actually two units: one dark bedroom adjoining the one with a mini fridge next to the bed and the side we are using with a full kitchen and washer-dryer. It is beautiful. We have a balcony that overlooks the sea across the street, where the other high rises do not block the view. Below our fourth floor windows is a beautiful swimming pool that looks like a tropical lagoon. There are two hot tubs as well. The grounds around the pool are wonderful. Staff here is not terribly helpful or welcoming. They seemed to resent that we showed up early. Room cleaners much nicer.

The room is clean and very pleasant. They scrub the rugs after each visitor. The bed is a bit hard, lots of light in the room at night, even with the shades drawn. You can hear cars on the street. If you have any sort of physical/mobility issue this may not be for you. The shower is a tub with a shower wall attached..it's a BIG STEP to get in and out. The tile floors and tub floor are very slippery when wet. Watch out for the time share presentation...say no.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your review! We're glad you were able to upgrade and experience our wonderful views. We hope to see you again soon!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Since I used this as an RCI exchange, I was assigned a 1-bedroom in the Hale Kipa section, which, apparently, are the ultra smallest units they've got. Once I saw what I was getting, I tried to get a bigger 1-bedroom unit (which I should have gotten in the first place with the points I used), but both the resort and RCI refused unless I paid a $200 upgrade fee. NOT! I find this to be typical treatment these days for timeshare owners. I have been apprehensive about coming to this property in previous years and I'm really sorry that I settled. I pay too much money every year in maintenance fees, exchange fees, etc. to be put up in a place like this. I have traveled to Maui many times and timeshare exchanges are increasingly harder to get unless you start a search 2 years in advance. When this resort popped up on the search, I felt I should take it, because I might not be successful again. This size unit is not suitable for any more than 1 person. I was a solo traveler this time and this was barely enough space for me. There is no free Wi Fi, which is ridiculous in the 21st century. Again, for what I pay in timeshare fees, I don't want to pay more fees for what are now the basics in technology. Also, watch out and inquire about the energy fee that the resort charges, which is based on the size of the unit. Really? I pay for energy? What's next? I pay for water and towels? Also be aware of the Hawaii user tax--another fee added to your bill.

This is a very old property. The furnishings such as the mattress, dresser, table, chairs, sofa were fairly new and comfortable, but the hard fixtures such as the cabinetry, countertops, dishwasher, sinks, toilet, shower are in bad need of replacement. Lots of dirt buildup, stains, cracked and peeling paint in all the walls and floors. The appliances are also in need of replacement. All were very old and yellowing. Although the mattress was comfortable and free of bed bugs and stains, when I removed the pillowcases for inspection, every single pillow was yellow stained from years of sailva and body sweat. Even the extra pillows in the closet were dirty and stained. Maybe this is why they use two pillowcases on each pillow. It was quite disgusting. I will give the management credit, because when I called the front desk about it, they immediately replaced all the pillows with brand new ones. I find this practice to be one of those cost-cutting methods the timeshare properties are taking now. Because who takes the pillowcases off the pillows? The shower sprayed half of the water up into the high window so there was lots of ongoing water damage. The water flow was deafening too. I've never been in such a loud shower. There is no washer dryer in these units, just a central washer dryer off the pool area. The unit has separate A/C for the living room and bedroom, which worked fine, and both rooms had ceiling fans. The Hale Kipa units also have no patio or deck and no view of anything.

I was pleasantly surprised at how tropical feeling the pool and hot tub area felt. I only used the hot tub and It was a nice setting. The parking is free, but the parking spaces are made for compact and smaller cars, which seems to be the norm on Maui--cram in as many tight parking spaces as you can everywhere on the island. This is a good location if you want to be away from Lahaina, but not too far away. There is no onsite restaurant, but several places just down the road. You must go to The Gazebo restaurant up the street for breakfast.

The staff and grounds/maintenance people were always smiling and saying hello and were very friendly. The housekeeping staff were attentive and friendly too.

After my departure, I discovered I had left an important personal item in the room and when I called the front desk upon my return to the mainland, they found the item and shipped it back to my home, although it took almost two weeks for them to get it back to me. I was very appreciative that they sent it back to me.

I would rather pay cash to stay at a real resort than waste my timeshare exchange on this place. I will never return here. I would put this resort at the bottom of the barrel, along with The Gardens at West Maui down the street from here.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Hale Kipa 1-bedroom units. They are ultra tiny and small, barely enough space for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to address your specific concerns. Please email us at kfr@tradingplaces.com with your name, dates of stay, and unit number so we can resolve these issues in a timely manner.
Chaska, Mn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Kahana Falls is a beautiful, quiet and relaxing resort about 5 minutes south of downtown Lahaina and 2 minutes south of Kaanipali. We were two couples in our 50's who stayed in a 1 bedroom two bath unit. We had units 302 A and B meaning it is a studio unit plus a lock off hotel unit. We exchanged for this unit through RCI. My husband and I took the hotel unit which was very private with a huge bathroom with a large tub. There was a small kitchenette in it. I've read reviews from people who only booked the hotel and I agree that the units are dark, as they are behind the studios. Ours friends slept in the studio Murphy bed and they said it was very comfortable. Lots of windows and light in the studios.

The 4 of us cooked and used the living area in the studio portion throughout the day. Studios have a washer and dryer also. There is a nice balcony in the studio that overlooks the grounds. We had a partial,ocean view too. There are grills down by the pool . Parking is free. The pool and grounds were well kept and beautiful. All of the employees were extremely helpful and kind.

If you're taking a hop to another island, I holy recommend the JHM regional airport which is 5 minutes away. We rented a car from dollar, picked it up at the main airport, OGG and dropped it off at JHM.

Betty, at the activities desk recommended the sunset dinner cruise and a whale watch that we're amazing. We got them free for doing a painless timeshare gig at the Kaanipali Club. We had wanted to see the property anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation with us! Mahalo for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!
Sterling, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is our 2nd stay at Kahana Falls. The first time in 2009 we stayed with friends in their 2 bedroom timeshare but this time we rented one of the hotel rooms. The room is small but clean and quiet. We spend as much time as possible at the beach or out exploring so the room is not that important as long as it's quiet and clean which it was. Kahana Falls is beautiful, lovely waterfall pool, flowers, coy pond, hot tubs, exercise room, etc. a great value for the money. It is very close to the beach, very nice restaurant with bargain breakfast across the street, free laundry facility, free parking, friendly and courteous staff and only 6.5 miles to Lahaina. We plan on coming back and staying 3 to 4 weeks next February!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We look forward to welcoming you back next February! Thank you for the review!
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a terrific time at the Kahana Falls Resort, where we just completed a three week stay. The unit we had for the whole stay was a one bedroom, two bath unit, and was spacious, very well equipped and very clean. It even offered daily towel exchange. The staff are exceptionally helpful and have a very positive attitude. The resort is not large, but one of the highlights for us was the pool area which is very well done with many tropical plants, trees and shrubs and, with a series of small waterfalls constantly flowing, it provided a very peaceful background that added to the overall ambience. We would happily return to Kahana Falls for another visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for your comments. We appreciate taking time to review our resort. Hope to see you again soon!
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a very nice, clean and well maintained tome share condominium. It is not on the water but just across the street form the ocean. The staff was very responsive and Betty (Paradise adventures) was GREAT - I cannot emphasize that point enough. The hotel is in an excellent location for Kapalua, Ka'anapali and Lahina. It is a bit of a hike to wailue and Kuhukui.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Kahana Falls, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your review (and we agree - Betty is the best!!)! We look forward to welcoming you back to our Ohana here on Maui soon. Mahalo!

Been to Kahana Falls? Share your experiences!