“pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Silverdale, Washington, United States
“pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

After reading many horrible reviews, I was almost devastated that kahana falls was our destination. I called and tried to upgrade our room and we were put on a waiting list. I was a little frustrated, but we decided to just go with it and hope for the best. I am so glad that I didn't listen to the crotchety, high-maintenance opinions of other reviewers, and waste money on an upgrade! There was absolutley NOTHING wrong with our room! Yeah, it was "small" but it had everything that we needed! A bed, a dresser, a table, a sink, fridge, microwave, and a huge bathroom. I was on the lookout for bugs after all of the other reviewers were complaining, and i did not see a single bug the entire time we had our room. And i was on the lookout. But if you're any type of person that has common sense, you know that you will run into some type of bug or creature at least once on your trip to Hawaii, so get over it is all I can say to those complaints. The room itself was comfortable and cozy. No, it didn't have a balcony, which was a bit of a bummer, but I should thank them for giving us a room without one... it got us out of our room more, and that's exactly why we went to maui on vacation.. it gave us more of an excuse to get out and see and enjoy every bit of the island! The staff was also amazing and super friendly. I only have 3 complaints about this resort...first complaint is that the pool was really cold, but I can see how that would be enjoyable in the hot summer, so i didn't mind..(and it made me visit the sand bottom hot tub more, which was AMAZING!) second.. we shared a door and main entry way with the bigger room next to us, and they were a rather big and loud family that was up very early and back in very late, and we heard every single door click and conversation. But, we were on vacation, and so were they, so "it's all good!" .. My third and final complaint is the uppity people who would come to the front desk and loudly announce how HORRIBLY UNHAPPY THEY WERE WITH THEIR SMALL TINY DARK ROOM! HOW DARE YOU TREAT ME THIS WAY! (pretty sure they stole those lines from these past reviewers) ... all i can say to that is, thanks for runing my vacation with your disgusting attitude, and WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE! ... main point, you're on vacation, so enjoy every bit of it! stop comparing your hotel to the other high-end resorts on the island and you will have a fabulous time! you will have a complaint about one thing or another no matter where you stay, so get over it, and yourselves! kahana falls gives you an amazing stay for the price you pay, and i think the staff and "private, quiet" feel of the resort make up for any minor issues you may find! It's a very happy place and gives you that "island vibe"

Room Tip: Go with the flow! You're on vacation!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

This was our first visit to Kahana Falls Resort in Maui. The resort has two excellent coneceirges in Betty and Mark. They were able to schedule activities and send us to the best places to eat and other great places to see. The beach is just across the street and easily accessible. Great time here. Roda at the front desk was very accomodating to our needs.

Room Tip: try to get a room that overlooks the pool
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

My wife and I stayed here last week through an RCI exchange. We were put in a room in the two story out building at the back of the property. I requested a change as soon as I checked in, but was told that RCI had their own inventory and I would have to contact them, which I did....no luck there! The second morning we woke up to no hot water. That evening we still had no hot water, plus we had a roach in the kitchen. We were given a key to the next door unit so we could use the shower and our hot water was fixed the following day. We again returned to our unit the 3rd evening to find another roach. We checked out after 3 days simply because we felt dirty just being at this place. Kahana Falls "tower" units may be very nice, but the 2 story units in the rear of the property are awful. Incidentally, when we checked out 3 days early, nobody asked why, how was your stay, etc. Never again!

Room Tip: Don't accept the out building if you are going to stay at Kahana Falls. (I can't call it a r...
Livermore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I were spending our 25th Anniversay at Kahana Falls and the Concierges Betty and Mark were great in helping my wife and I enjoy some romatic and fun experiences on our trip. They also were able to get us some good discounts on the things we wanted to do. The front desk clerks and all the staff were very friendly and attentive to all our needs. It may not be a huge resort with the greatest amenities but the room, pool, jacuzzi and work out room were all sufficient and it is located near great beaches and nightlife, shows, shopping, etc.
I would definitely recommend this resort.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

This was the second hotel that I stayed with my fiancé during our two week vacation in Maui. The first place was much better so it might affect my judgment of this hotel.

We were in a studio apartment with full kitchen, full bath with standing shower, and dining area (full table with 4 chairs). There was no bedroom but there was a full size mattress that you can use as a couch during the day. I personally did not like the bed because they use a slipcover to make it look like a couch but who knows when they wash that slip cover, so I place the slip cover to the side of the room and didn't use it again. The bed was also too soft and gave me some back pain. The kitchen was great (my fave part) because you have a full stove, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, coffee maker, and blender. This helped us save a lot of money since we made dinner and breakfast in our room. The room also had a washer and dryer (second fave part)

It is actually very close to Kapalua-West Maui Airport (JHM) so if you want to save money you should fly into this airport instead of Kahului Airport. Cab rides to Kapalua airport is only 10 dollars while Cab ride to Kahului airport can be over 100 dollars.

The location of the hotel was not horrible but a little inconvenient. You will need a car to travel to anywhere fun or even a good beach. There is a beach across the street but it's not big and the sand is not as beautiful. Tip: Drive to Big Beach, I think it's the best beach on the island but it's about a 1 to 2 hour drive. If you leave the hotel and make a right walk up 3 to 4 blocks there is a gas station with McDonalds and a general store that you can food shop at. There is also a public bus route that runs once every hour and the last bus is at 8pm. Bus fare is 1 dollar per ride, so transfers are not free. The bus stops about a block away from the hotel, you can ask the front desk for a schedule or you can get one on the bus. Cab rides are very expensive so again it might be best to rent a car.

The hotel grounds are clean and well kept but the pool doesn't look very clean. I don't see many people use it (I didn't go in). The water doesn't look blue and crisp instead its kind of green.

On our last day, we actually rented one of their hotel rooms for half a day because our flight was at 5pm. It cost us about 60-70 dollars and we got to shower, watch tv, and just relax until 4pm and took a cab to the airport. The hotel room was very small, the bed pretty much took up the entire room with a small table and two chairs. But they have a tub and shower combo instead of just a stand in shower, and two sinks instead of one. There is only a mircowave, small frige, coffee maker, and small kitchen sink. I liked the full kitchen more. No washer and dryer in this unit

There is no fee for parking and no fee for internet, which is a plus. But there is no wi-fi.

TIP: All shopping in Maui as of 2011 is BYOB, meaning bring your own bag. They do not provide plastic bags so bring reusable bags with you or you will have to carry everything in a paper bag with no handles.

There is lots to do in Maui so if you are not going to be in the hotel much and rather drive to explore I would recommend coming here. But if you want to stay at a resort and relax I would go somewhere that is beach front with a better pool.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are very small so better to get a studio with a full kitchen.
Bellevue, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed here with some friends. We had the studio with a kitchenette. Our friends had the attached condo with the full kitchen, living area and balcony. It suited our needs but it was quite a ways away from all our activities. The hot tub and pool were nice. We would've liked some newer pillows, they were flat and hard as rocks. The beach across the street was very nice. It was close to Lahaina. We were glad for the use of the washer dryer in the main room.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We spent 7 nights here and had a great time. Though it's not right on the beach, the beach is across the street and easy to access. Located about 5 miles from downtown Lahaina. We had a one bedroom with a kitchenette. Everything we needed was right there. Had access to the laundry room at no charge. Would definately book our stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kahana Falls? Share your experiences!