“"Totally satisfied. Nice people, great boards, and awesome instruction."” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Skim Hawaii

Skim Hawaii
Ala Hoku Pl., Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761
808 250 6258
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Skimboard lessons, rentals and advice. Maui, Hawaii.
San Diego, California
“"Totally satisfied. Nice people, great boards, and awesome instruction."”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I am an eleven year old boy who loves to skimboard. I was looking at rentals and lessons when I came across Skim Hawaii. I thought I would give it a shot and signed up for a lesson. As soon as I met Sean, I knew it would be great. He is very nice and gives great tips. Skim Hawaii has great skimboards that you can really skim with. These aren't the everyday wood skimboards, these are Fiberglass and Carbon Fiber Victoria skimboards. Me, my little brother, and his friend had a lot of fun skimming with Sean. We only paid for an hour and a half but he gave us an extra thirty minutes of the lesson for the same price. He was very helpful and was great at showing us how to do new tricks. The lesson was a fun experience for all of us. We rented their boards for two days and have improved a lot. If you are still deciding whether to go or not, sign up. It was the highlight of my vacation and I'm sure it'll be the highlight of your's too.

Visited November 2012

california
“Great service, great equipment, great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

You would think that spending a week in Maui with the incredible snorkeling and boogie boarding would be enough for two boys. Well after a few days they were looking for something else and they saw some kids skimming the shore's surface with these fast fiberglass skimboards. These are not the wooden ones you commonly see. These are high end boards that really glide across the surf. My search brought me to Skim Hawaii and they appear to be the only place that rents them. Luckily Skim Hawaii is a great resource.

The owner, Sean brought some boards right to our condo. He helped my sons pick out boards that would be manageable for them. He gave them some great tips to get them started as part of our rental and picked them up at our door when we were done.

Sean was approachable, easy to talk , to and answered all of our questions . $20 a day for high end equipment was very reasonable especially considering he brought them to us and you can't really get these boards anywhere in Maui

Visited August 2012
Walnut Creek, California
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Sean and Skim Hawaii really were the highlight of my trip to Maui, The boards they provide are excellent and free of charge, and Sean was so nice and being one of the top skimmers in the States, He made sure that you left with tons of tips from the worldwide level of skimming. So glad I went.

Visited July 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Awesome instruction and skimboarding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We hired Sean and Skim Hawaii for skimboarding lessons for myself and two young daughters (6 and 8) after finding them on the internet and reviewing videos on Facebook. Sean is a very personable and laid back guy which makes for an excellent instructor, especially for kids. In our lesson, Sean provided us with lots of hints and tips and also provided us with local knowledge of skim spots, coffee shops, snorkeling and swimming beaches etc. We also took advantage of the opportunity to rent a board for the rest of our trip and used it everyday. If you want to learn to skimboard on Maui or you already have experience and want a top quality board to use while there, this is the place to go!

Mahalo Sean and Skim Hawaii!

Visited April 2012
Portland, OR
“Awesome service, top quality rentals, great guys!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

During my recent visit to Kaanapali the shorebreak was big and beautiful and it got me hankering to get out on a skimboard. Problem is, none of the surf schools or rental shops on the island I contacted rents skimboards - let alone top quality ones you need to shred the big waves... The hotel activities concierge at the Alii was downright rude and dismissive when I asked where to rent saying there are too many "liability issues" with skimboards and that I should really just consider getting a boogie board or stay on the beach until the surf calmed down - those waves are just too big! Riiiight...

Enter Skim Hawaii - I called them up and within an hour they dropped by my hotel with a selection of really nice Victoria boards to choose from and I was out on the water minutes later while the waves were still perfect. Sean, the owner, is highly knowledgeable and a great guy to work with. I'd highly recommend taking a lesson with him if you don't have any experience or meeting up for a skim session if you do - he has a lot of really helpful advice on technique and is a great guy to hang out with.

My sore muscles and memories of skimming the big, beautiful waves off Kaanapali Point are the highlights of my trip to Maui and Sean made it all happen so smoothly and easily I cannot say enough good things about his company and service. Thanks Sean for filling the void in quality skimboard rentals and instruction and making it possible for me to get out and enjoy the waves!!

Visited March 2012