“Ok....for 1 or 2 days unless you are a surfer” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Aina Nalu

Save Saved
You added Outrigger Aina Nalu to your Saves list
Outrigger Aina Nalu
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   660 Wainee Street, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761 (Formerly Aston Maui Islander)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #21 of 28 hotels in Lahaina
tokyo
“Ok....for 1 or 2 days unless you are a surfer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Hotel is fine for a stopgap one or two nights but no more. The outside looks more like motel than a luxury resort - wooden frame buildings . Initial impressions are "what the hell?!"

Staff are friendly but somewhat slow in reacting.

Wifi is only available in lobby and pool. Modem is available in the rooms but no wifi - just buy some wifi routers, if u have an ipad iphone or any non Ethernet ready device you are done for if you are non US !

Hotel has a 70s feel to it.

The pool is a joke - don't even think about staying here if you just want to hangout at the pool - it's more like a small pond.
The sea water pool is a big square in a wide open green lawn

The rooms are big , a bit worn

Aircon sounds like a runway landing strip. The Ac unit was ancient also - It's like being in the engine room of a ship

Completely non smoking inside and out so if you fumeur you will be f$$ked off - heard that's the norm for the US however

It's not bad if you get a cheap rate, just to see lahaina but other than that nothing to draw you back.

If you are a surfer it'll be fine as you can hit the waves during the day and kick back in relatively ok surroundings at night

It's just all a bit worn though....

• Stayed November 2012
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger Aina Nalu, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Aloha hungrysumo,

thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. Not everyone is suited for condominium accommodations as more hotel type amenities. I apologize that we could not meet your needs and wish you luck with finding future Maui accommodations more to your liking.

837 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sebastopol, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The people working at this property were very helpful, thoughtful and professional. The pools and hot tub are nice, with comfortable, private areas to sit. But the condo itself was not clean. I was expecting more of a hotel environment, but this seemed more like a timeshare, where the cleaning is left up to the previous vacationers. I had to individually clean each remote - they were filthy, bacteria-ridden little horrors. Additionally, it was clear that the condo had not been given a proper cleaning in some time: Marks on the counters, dirt on the floor in the corners, handprints everywhere, dust on top of the ceiling fans, and most surprisingly, a layer of dust on the dresser in the bedroom. Everything was suspect: I was drinking a cup of coffee, and after taking a few sips, I noticed lipstick on the mug... and I wasn't wearing any. Oh, and there is no maid service; wish I had known that before arriving. The air-conditioning would be my number two reason for not returning. The in-wall air units were made in the Paleolithic Era, I think. They were dusty and and very loud. They emitted something faintly like cool air if run constantly, but that made it difficult to hear the television. Little details make a big difference; I hope management implements changes at some point. It won't make a difference to me, however, as I won't stay there again, even though I really enjoyed that people who work there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger Aina Nalu, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Aloha Mary C,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm sorry we were not able to meet your expectations. Staying in a condominium versus a hotel is quite a different experience and not for everyone.

I have passed along your comments to our staff. In regard to the unit, I apologize that it was not as clean as it should have been as housekeeping tries to maintain strict standards. I have forwaded this post to their attention and will have them review as needed.

Thank you for your positive comments about the staff and the pools. Please contact me if you would like to discuss your stay.

vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We were staying in a cottage at Kaanapali and decided to spend the last 2 nights right in Lahaina to enjoy the shops and restaurants of Front St. Because we had just spent a week right on the beach, we didn't care about view and just wanted a comfortable place to stay that was within walking distance. This place was perfect and the "garden view" is actually very tropical and beautiful. We were greeted in the open air front desk by 2 very friendly employees, Diana in particular was fabulous, who were able to check us into our room several hours early and bonus - we had been upgraded from a studio to a 1 bedroom suite! The suite was beautiful with a full kitchen, awesome living room area, awesome bathroom/shower and very comfortable bed. It appeared the place had recently been renovated/upgraded as all of the finishings were of great quality and the place was very clean! The grounds of the Aina Nalu are beautiful, and we loved spending our last night sitting in a cabana with our friends. Parking was an extra $15 but it was worth it to us for the convenience. It is only a short walk to the beach and an even shorter walk to Front St. I would highly recommend staying in this hotel and enjoying a couple of nights right in Lahaina town! I wouldn't recommend it for a long stay if you are looking for extensive beach time...but I'd highly recommend it for a weekend stay, or if you don't care about the beach (they have ample swimming pools/lounger chairs etc). If I could offer the smallest of complaint - the room was overall not that well lit...perhaps some brighter bulbs? Considering that's my only complaint - you can understand how great the place was...and really, I'd rather spend my time outside anyways! Oh, and it was nice to have the little balcony to enjoy morning coffee before we hit the streets!

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom on the 2nd floor in the coconut wing. No view, but great location nonetheless.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was our first time at Aina Nalu. We found the one bedroom suite to be very spacious and clean. As others have noted, the walls are thin and you could hear other people’s muted conversations as well as foot traffic outside the buildings. There is no daily maid service but we were told that service would be available if we needed it. (We didn’t need it.) We had a kitchen with all of the necessary cooking equipment and there was a washer/dryer in the room for the laundry which made our stay more convenient. The grounds, the pools, and the hot tub were all beautiful and clean. I wish the hotel’s pool police would let us stay in the water past 10:00PM though. Overall, we liked it and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room without any next door neighbors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Michael W,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your first stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back!

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

If your looking to stay away from the hustle bustle of Kaanapali, look no further. The Aina Nalu is nestled just a few blocks from Lahaina's Front Street--a mecca of shops and restaurants. Seriously the location doesn't get an better. Parking around Front Street is sometimes a nightmare, but you can literally walk there from this hotel. The best part is its a perfect little complex of condo style rooms with all the comforts of home. There are two pools, nothing fancy but definitely relaxing and adequate for swimming. The cabanas are offered at no charge (good luck with that in Kaanapali!) and there are grills by the pool area that you can use. It is also just a short drive to beaches and the high end shops at Whalers Village. I just wish their front desk agents were a little friendlier. Otherwise, the staff we ran into on property was always pleasant. Overall, the rooms are spacious and beautiful. Its a great place to vacation.

• Stayed October 2012
Aloha Surfchic55,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking a future stay with us.

Western Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Since TripAdvisor does stuff on a 1-to-5 scale, it's hard to rate this accommodation the way I'd like to. I would give it a 7 out of 10 instead of 3 out 5 because it's not a bad place at all and it certainly has a lot of pluses, but there are a couple of drawbacks too. So, here it goes...

The good stuff:
The ladies manning the front desk reception area are very nice and helpful, and it's kind of cool that they give you a complimentary cloth bag with the Outrigger logo on it because it comes in very handy when you shop anywhere in Lahaina, since Maui is very eco-conscious and they've done away with plastic bags and those little paper bags without handles just don't cut it.

The setting for the property is not only super convenient (walking distance to Front Street in Lahaina), the grounds around the hotel/condo are gorgeous and tropical and extremely well maintained. They have both a saltwater pool and a regular pool for swimming, since the closest beach to this particular establishment isn't one of the sandier types you'll see if you travel up the coast a bit.

The rooms/condos are nicely furnished with a distinct Hawaiian look and they're certainly spacious enough and the beds were clean and comfortable as well. The bathrooms are huge and have a really cool looking prehistoric/ art-deco vibe going on in them with the flagstone style shower stalls. We loved those! Bonus: a cute little washer/dryer combo that saves you the trip to the laundromat.

The not-so-good stuff:
The noise, and I don't mean from traffic because this place is set off from the main road. Quite a few of the units at this property are privately owned and the majority (as far as we were told) of the said privately owned units were the upstairs dwellings. Since the walls and other parts of this place are on the thin side, we heard every single noise from above us and on the adjoining walkway above as well. The people upstairs may have been practicing for the latest Broadway style Tap Review or maybe they were just getting their jollies by practicing their bowling skills indoors but it was kind of rough after several hours of this. This is not the fault of Outrigger, obviously, but it kind of made the whole stay less than fun.

One other thing that bugged us was when we contacted housekeeping (whom we were told would be available until at least 8 or later in the evening), no one ever answered the phone. The housekeeping staff themselves (when we saw them the following day) were pleasant and they certainly do a nice job keeping the place tidy.

So, I'll give this place a 70% score because having some peace and quiet at night when you want to sleep, like at around 11:00 p.m., when we were calling it a night, or at least having someone answer the phone when you have a query, are one of the more important things to me than having several different types of swimming pools. I liked more about the Aina Nalu than I didn't like so I would consider trying it once more when I return to Maui because it's not a bad place at all...I'd just make sure to contact Outrigger and ask ahead of time for one of the quieter rooms they must have, away from the permanent housing.
It's definitely worth a second look if you can overlook the two sticklers about the noise and no response from H-Keeping that I had. The location can't be beat!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room for a little more peace and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Aloha PioneerValley,

thank you for posting your generally positive review. I will pass along your compliments to our staff. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay for the most part and we look forward to welcoming you back.

I do apologize that your phone call was not answered. Please call the Front Desk when that happens as sometimes the remaining housekeeping staff are around the property and need to be contacted by radio.

Please contact me if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Fairbanks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed in a privately owned unit. It was in the D building on the upper level. There are only two floors in this condo style setting. They do not have elevators which is a hassle when you are lugging your suite cases and grocerys up the wooden stairs and across the decking. The other bummer is parking. You have to pay extra everyday if you want to use their parking lot. You also can't pay day to day. You have to pay for the whole time you are there. We chose to park on the street and in other pay by day lots. You do get a discount in these lots when you stay at the condo. They will give you a print out to keep on dash.
The grounds are very beautiful and the pools are top notch. It was pretty quiet the five days we stayed. One of the days they sand blasted one if the pools so that was noisy but we were gone for most of it.
All the windows are the normal shutter type style that you see in Hawaii. Which means you can't keep out all the noise or ever get a great look out of them but it did have back doors to the REALLY small lanai. It was over looking one of the pools but there is so much beautiful foliage that you can't see much. I was pretty bummed about the lanai but we just went down by the pools to hang out.
The condo is pretty nice. The showers are awesome and the beds in our unit were very comfortable. The AC units worked well. They are on timers which is a great idea for owners because electricity is so exepensive in Hawaii and most tourists think they should leave AC on all day. I don't think it's needed. It cools down pretty quick once you turn them on.
The condo is within walking distance to all the fun and stores in Lahaina.
All in all it is a great place to stay. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Outrigger Aina Nalu? Share your experiences!