“Nice property very close to dining and shopping.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aina Nalu

You added Aina Nalu to your Saves list
Aina Nalu
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   660 Wainee Street, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761 (Formerly Aston Maui Islander)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Best Available Rate
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
“Nice property very close to dining and shopping.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

We just got back from our Maui vacation and while we were there, we stayed at the Outrigger Aina Nalu. The grounds are very well kept with lush, local vegetation. We had a room close to the saltwater pool and it was a very inviting and relaxing place. The room was spacious and updated. Loved the tiled shower and it was nice having a washer/dryer in the room so we could take less clothes and dry our wet towels, etc. The windows allowed for good ventilation, but also made it where we could hear every noise outside. The best part of staying here was it's proximity to so much dining and shopping. We walked to dinner almost every night. Mahalo Aina Nalu for a great stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Aloha Andy A,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

oan@outrigger.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The pools are awesome. Two salt water pools and one hot tub.... complete with cabanas... I'm sitting in one right now on Verizon 4G writing this from my MacBook Air :) Could life be any better ? :-)

LOL. Anyways,,.. Don't come here expecting the Ritz Carlton and a 5 star restaurant and you'll be good.

For the money, the condos are better than perfect. Living room, kitchen, washing machine/dryer, nice bathroom, nice bed.

We've been very happy with our stay here. The only complaint I can come up with is the $15/day parking fee to park in their own parking lot. When the fee is for valet in a 3rd party lot, I get it... but to park in front of your motel room/condo... always comes off a little obnoxious.

either way, this place rocks! nice scenery...walking distance to everything.

Would definitely stay here again, in a heartbeat...no questions asked, no hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Aloha from Maui,
This weekend I stayed at Outrigger Aina Nalu. It is located in Lahaina town close to lots of wonderful places to shop and eat. This visit we stopped by the new Fleetwoods, Lahaina coolers and Cool cats.

Being a resident of Maui, Hawaii I like to make it a point to do a “staycation” at least once a month. This trip was just a short 1 hour drive from my house.

Lahaina is an old whaling town and there are lots to see. It was fun to walk around on Friday evening or “art night” as they call it here on Maui. We checked out some great art, had some discount drinks at happy hour and were back to our condo within a few hours.

I really like the Aina Nalu. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit. With this property they don’t do a certain “view type” how they categorize their rooms are by size. Studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedrooms.

The unit was clean, well stocked and comfortable. We enjoyed their 2 pools and club house. The daily paper was nice. The only thing I didn’t like is they recently decided to no longer have daily maid service. When I vacation I do NOT want to make my bed. I hope the upper management will rethink this.

Parking is $15.00 per day. This is pretty steep if you just look at the price per day for parking, but when you factor in that you can walk to everything in Lahaina it is well worth the cost.

Marie Glodt

Room Tip: The studio units are small. Pay the extra money and stay in a 1 bedroom even if there is just 2 of y...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Aloha marieglodt,

thank you for taking the time to post a pleasant review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and saw the value in the property.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We wanted to take an extended honeymoon in May 2012 but didn't have the budget to stay at a 4-5 star hotel the entire time, so we decided to try out a condo. We were a little leery at first given the price of the Outrigger Aina Nalu was so much lower than its competitors. But fortunately we were wrong! The place was fantastic!

Our room was very clean and the decorations were simple but had the nice understated relaxing island motif. We did not run into any bed bugs or any type of bug problems. The room came with real appliances, (i.e. full-size stainless steel refrigerator, microwave, stove, full-size oven, in-room washer and dryer). We have easily saved hundreds of dollars during our stay by cooking our own food and being able to refrigerate leftovers.

The location of this property was also second to none. It's within a few minute walk to downtown Lahaina and only a few minute drive to Safeway, where we did our grocery shopping. The food in downtown Lahaina is over priced, especially Longhi's (more on that on the restaurant's dedicated review). There was also a local fruit stand about 5 blocks from the hotel on the main road. The fruit was delicious and very reasonably priced.

We spent most of our time at their pool, which was fantastic! They had grills all over the properties and people did their own grocery shopping and barbequed their own food. If you're looking for a place that's not uber fancy and just plainly want to enjoy the simple, relaxing island experience, this is the place.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the end of the property are bigger and quieter, although the property itself is in a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Aloha TammyCGomez,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy your honeymoon stay with us. And you have brought up some wonderful points about the property. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking your next stay with us.

Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We booked our honeymoon stay through Costco for 6 nights. We didn't think the crazy expensive resorts seemed worth the money but we wanted to go to Maui. We read reviews before our travel and asked for our one bedroom suite to be booked in a second floor, pool view room that had been renovated. We got exactly what we asked for, plus a small bottle of champagne when we arrived.
We were booked to D209, which was in the back. The rooms were clean and decent sized - bedroom didn't have a lot of walking room but we used the living room for relaxing instead. The kitchen was very nice, had everything we needed and more. There were two nice new flat screen TV's. I didn't see one bug inside the room while we were there and we didn't come home with any bites. Since we had read reviews, we were aware that housekeeping wouldn't come during our stay. For someone who doesn't like people going through her things, even to clean, I was more than okay with that. Just meant it was more secluded for us. We washed our towels ourselves along with our clothes in the washer and dryer after taking them to beaches and using them at the pool. Once we needed more detergent, called the housekeeping line and within 5 minutes they knocked on our door with it. The only issue I had with the room was that the A/C was loud to turn on and would wake me if I wasn't fully asleep.
The salt water pool was amazing in the evening. It was warm and clean and hardly anyone else was in it. We didn't try the regular pool. My husband liked the hot tub. There were cabana things around the pool but we didn't try those either.
Near the salt water pool was a concierge booth. There was a representative from an activities company there all day long (which started our second day). She was very knowledgable and helped us book some excursions after a presentation. Some were good, some were bad. I would read reviews here before booking but she could answer all our questions. They have a "time share" promotion if you're eligible but we were too young to get the discounts. Either way, she didn't push it to anyone.
Parking was $15 a day but it was much easier than trying to find something on the road and with all the warnings about break-ins on Maui, I felt much more comfortable having our rental car at the hotel. There was always parking right at the steps. One thing that did annoy me was that we were left a note one day about not putting our parking pass on the dashboard even though they have it on file, however, the car that parked in the middle of two spots every day didn't ever get a note.
It was nice to be able to leave the car and walk into town to get breakfast/dinner, etc and it was a short drive to safeway. I just wish it was walking distance to a nice beach.
Granted, we're pretty easygoing people, but we really enjoyed our stay here. If we return to Maui, we will probably stay somewhere else, but only because I would rather stay closer to the nicer beaches.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Kassmith,

Thank you for your review and thank you for sharing such an important occassion with us. I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. If you need any assistance in booking your next stay, please let me know.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I can't understand why this place is not ranked higher. It was reasonably priced. Lovely to have a kitchen, fully equipped with cooker, fridge freezer, blender, toaster, microwave, dishwasher. Every type of dish and possible utensil you could possible need. They must have been condo's at some point as you have a kitchen area, a living room. Balcony with chairs. Fantastic bathroom with step in shower. Washer and separate dryer. Really comfortable king bed. The rooms were great. The location is wonderful. We never took the car out in the evening you can just walk to all the bars and restaurants, even with heels on! The parking is excessive, Supermarkets are 5 minute drive away and there are 3 all close together. I loved this place so much I booked it for my mum and dad when they went earlier this year and they loved it to. When I stayed last year there was maid service each day. Don't stay in the studio they are really tiny and only really big enough for one person on their own, I don't think 2 people could fit in the bed.

Room Tip: Go to the Magic Show it was absolutely amazing.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
AinaNalu, Guest Relations Manager at Aina Nalu, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Aloha missyantha,

thank you for taking the time to post your favorable review. I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. It looks like you were able to put the condominium to good use during your stay. And we agree the location is fabulous for walking to nearby shopping and dining. Please let me know if you need any assistance in booking another stay for yourself or your parents. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We actually traveled in Feb 2011 so this review is a little late. My traveling party consisted of 2 adults and 2 children ages 9 and 6. We had booked our stay at Aina Nalu for 4 nights. Upon check in, we were told that they were overbooked and our 2 bedroom, 1 bath was not available. However, they were very apologetic and worked hard to make it right for us. Since we just arrived after a 22 hour traveling day, and were exhausted, we just wanted a clean, safe place for the night. They set us up in a 1 bedroom, 1 bath for the night, free of charge. The next day we were moved to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath (an upgrade from our original reservation) near the pools and were also given free parking for our stay. I wasn't happy about the mix up but they went above and beyond to make it up to us, and we really appreciated it. The condo itself was spacious and clean. The kitchen was well stocked and we used it a lot for breakfast, lunch or snacks. The bathrooms, especially the showers, were large and the slate/stone construction was a nice touch. Having the washer and dryer was a huge plus, and allowed us to pack less clothing. The grills were great for a quick meal too. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained and the property never felt crowded. The location was perfect. It was in a quiet, residential area, and only a short walk to Front St. where you could eat, shop or watch the boats. The only down side was that it wasn't close to a beach. That said, we really like to explore and would usually pack up our little cooler purchased at Foodland, and head out to one of the south side beaches for the day. I would recommend Aina Nalu and am planning to stay there again in 2014.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Aina Nalu? Share your experiences!