We stayed in 710, a rather stuffily appointed but very spacious condo with a wraparound balcony. Unfortunately, despite the palatial furnishings and view, this unit compared somewhat poorly with a less luxurious unit we stayed in down in Honokowai for the first part of our Maui vacation.
First off, the unit is just too high up to enjoy the view. I know that sounds nuts, but when you look out from the 710 balcony, you see blue ocean, Lanai, sometimes Molokai, the tops of palm trees, and moving dots that represent turtles patrolling the shore below. If you want to stay at Royal Kahana, I recommend going no higher than the 4th floor, so you can enjoy the swaying palms, landscaping, and turtles hanging out in the cove below, combined with the other islands off in the distance. The wind at the high levels was too fierce to allow us to enjoy the balcony. The first morning, we tried eating breakfast out on the wraparound deck, but gave up because of the high wind.
Second and most disappointingly, no beach chairs. I've stayed in Maui beach condos for many years, and every one of them has had a stash of 4-6 lightweight, folding beach chairs available for guest use. Many condos also have umbrellas and/or basic snorkel equipment available for guests to use during their stay. No such thing here. We didn't want to buy beach chairs to "donate" to Outrigger Resorts either; it's not a charity.
Third, the wi-fi situation was just unacceptable. For over $300 a night, in a luxury condo unit, the wi-fi had better be included. Nope! $9.37 a day, paid separately over the Internet to an ISP named Skywave that provided a whopping 3/5 bars of signal strength. Thumbs down.
Fourth, beach was not great. It's not a good swimming beach; too rocky. It's a turtle hangout, which is great, but it's not the kind of place you want to sit at all day, or even for 20 minutes. It's also sloped sharply, so not great to walk, either. We figured out that it was the kind of beach you stay at when you don't go in the ocean. We definitely want to be in the ocean as much as possible, so this place wasn't for us.
Fifth, the A/C was on nonstop, so we were chilled the whole time. There was no way to turn it off. Both control knobs on the A/C wall unit were broken completely off and missing. The wall unit was also filthy, with dust bunnies covering the vents.
Sixth, the registration desk is s-l-o-o-o-w. It isn't necessarily their fault, but you get older couples up there who want to use the check-in/check-out desk as a concierge (they can't see that there's a concierge desk ten feet away?) and want to chat with the staff all day about their nifty-keen vacations. If there's no one waiting in the queue, then the one person holding down the registration desk leaves the area, and you must wait for them to come back. If there is an employee present behind the Registration desk, the queue's usually at least three deep.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Make yourself at home in Kahana. This beachfront community is the calm cousin to West Maui’s high-profile destinations of Lahaina, Kaanapali and Kapalua Resort. You won’t find the typical string of Maui hotels, dazzling storefronts, and streams of shoppers and diners – although that’s only a few minutes away if the mood strikes. Instead, step into casual comfort at Outrigger Royal Kahana, a pleasant Maui condo that takes full advantage of its discreet Kahana setting. Welcome the sun on a morning stroll chasing waves along the sand. Breathe in the breeze that sweeps across the ocean view from your high-rise lanai. Marvel at humpback whales slapping and rolling so close to shore! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Otel, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Royal Kahana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Royal Kahana
- Outrigger Lahaina
- Lahaina Outrigger
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Resort
- Royal Kahana Maui/Lahaina