I was on vacation on Maui with my girlfriend and we really enjoyed the Royal Kahana (we both are in early 30s). We traveled in February 2013 for 9 days and were in condo #903.
If you plan on staying the whole time on the resort pool & beach, this may not be a good place for you though. But if you have a car and are planning exploring the island and its different beaches, like we did, this is definitely a really good base point. We didn't spend much of our day-time on the resort, there is plenty of nice beaches and things to do on Maui and everything is accessible on day trips from the hotel. Many nice beaches are only 5-10 minutes drive from the hotel.
- very convenient and fully equipped (all the amenities were available and the kitchen was very well equipped)
- everything was clean and we had a mid-stay cleaning service (included in our package), which was quite sufficient for us, towels and sheets were changed then
- we were welcome with a starter kit (coffee, soap for the washing machine, ...) which was nice after a long flight
- bed was comfortable and everything was in perfect condition in the bathroom
- staff was very helpful and nice
- supermarkets and convenient stores are close (2 min walks for the general store)
- no beach on the resort, there is a pool and you can see the ocean (with whales and turtles), but you can't swim or lay on the beach there
- hotel services were a little early for us (we're not early people...): cleaning service @ 9AM on 2 occasions, call from the tour-booking staff @ 8AM on our first morning, ...
- we booked ocean view, but the view was actually more on the resort close-by. not a big deal, we could see the ocean and enjoyed the lanai, but we expected more a kind of wide-opened ocean view
Our overall experience there was very positive and I would highly recommend this place. It's a very nice place to live/cook/sleep, but I wouldn't recommend it for people that want to spend 90% of their stay on the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Make yourself at home in Kahana. This beachfront community is the calm cousin to West Maui’s high-profile destinations of Lahaina, Kaanapali and Kapalua Resort. You won’t find the typical string of Maui hotels, dazzling storefronts, and streams of shoppers and diners – although that’s only a few minutes away if the mood strikes. Welcome the sun on a morning stroll chasing waves along the sand. Breathe in the breeze that sweeps across the ocean view from your high-rise lanai. Marvel at humpback whales slapping and rolling so close to shore! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com and Hotwire so you can book your Royal Kahana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Royal Kahana
- Outrigger Lahaina
- Lahaina Outrigger
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Resort
- Royal Kahana Maui/Lahaina