We spent nine days at this location and were, for the most part, satisfied with the quality of our accommodations. Unfortunately, we cannot say the same thing about the facilities.
We leased a corner unit on the nineth floor, so our lanai view of the coastline was spectacular. The only down side to the view was the burned out building adjacent to the property. The building that housed the fitness center, kitchen, and offices for the adjacent Valley Isle Resort burned back in September and Chas'n Rainbows failed to tell us. The burned out hulk was still there in all it's glory during our stay in late February. We have no idea why they did not quickly demolish and remove the burned building. It is a total eyesore from the third floor and above.
Our unit was spacious, but the carpet was worn and needed cleaned. There were stains in front of the door out to the lanai. Also, the air conditioning would not work and one of the sinks in the master bathroom was not functional. Chas'n Rainbows was very responsive, fixing the AC and sink issues within hours of our arrival. The furnishings were not nearly as nice as they appeared in the photo, which came as no real surprise to us. We've rented numerous VRBO units over the years and you have to take the photos with a grain of salt.
The pool area was a joke for a property this size, in addition to being poorly maintained. The pool deck was stained and had a couple of patched areas that did not match the rest of the deck. Every morning they would arrange the chairs around the pool and then attempt to clean around them. It was a comedy watching them half-heartedly sweep under the dozens of lounge chairs. It is impossible to properly clean the pool deck with all the chairs in place. Don't look for tables or umbrellas around the pool. The pool is so small they don't have room for them, so you sit your drinks on the pool deck next to your chair. When the pool area gets too crowded, which happens early in the day when the sun is shining, people put chairs on the lawn area adjacent to the beach. Thanks to some white vinyl fencing they erected along the beach, you can't really lay in your chair and watch the surf. Rain water flows off the roof and falls right into the lawn area where the overflow chairs are.
They have a seedy little building next to the pool that is supposed to be some kind of refreshment bar, but it is absolutely third world stuff.
They do have several barbeque grills available, which we used several times for preparing meals. Unfortunately you may have to wait an hour or more for one of them to become available.
The parking spots in the front of the building are so narrow, you almost always have to either climb over the seat to get in your car, or first back out so that your passengers can get into your vehicle. I can only imagine how many door-damaged vehicles this situation produces.
All things considered, we would not stay at this property again, nor recommend it to anyone. Perhaps if they constructed a larger pool area and put some money into the building, we would reconsider. Maybe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Make yourself at home in Kahana. This beachfront community is the calm cousin to West Maui’s high-profile destinations of Lahaina, Kaanapali and Kapalua Resort. You won’t find the typical string of Maui hotels, dazzling storefronts, and streams of shoppers and diners – although that’s only a few minutes away if the mood strikes. Welcome the sun on a morning stroll chasing waves along the sand. Breathe in the breeze that sweeps across the ocean view from your high-rise lanai. Marvel at humpback whales slapping and rolling so close to shore! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Royal Kahana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Lahaina
- Outrigger Hotel Royal Kahana
- Outrigger Lahaina
- Lahaina Outrigger
- Outrigger Royal Kahana Resort
- Royal Kahana Maui/Lahaina