“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Kahana

Save Saved
You added Royal Kahana to your Saves list
Royal Kahana
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   4365 Lower Honoapiilani Road, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Ranked #22 of 42 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Ontario
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at our unit in Maui. Since Maui is usually relatively more expensive than other islands, we expected to find something middle of the road. Such was not the case and we were greeted to updated furniture, comfortable beds and an amazing few from our lanai. Several amenities were close by as well which helped us enjoy our vacation all that much more. I would strongly recommend this location as a vacation destination.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
new south wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked this online the day before , got a great rate for a garden view room.
Checked in and they gave us a room on the 11 th floor and partial ocean view.. I guess this was an upgrade although they didn't say it was. Anyway we were pleasantly surprised at the room and the view.
Well appointed room and it had a kitchenette with a full size refrigerator. Which , I had no idea that was in the room.
On day 2 , we had to call and ask about our room cleaning..as no one had appeared to clean..
I was told that they don't have a maid service , but we could request it 24 hours ahead of time. I must have missed reading that bit in the fine print..I thought an outrigger would have been a hotel.
Anyway it wasn't a problem as I asked for clean towels and they were brought up to us within minutes.
Parking was great, no problems getting a spot each time we returned.
The beach out the front was small.. And water a bit murky. Ok for a quick cool off but if you want a day on the beach it will pay you to drive to another area.
The pool looked ok although we didn't use it.
The staff at reception were good, and housekeeping as well...they stored our fridge items until we got into the unit.
So, all in all...very good.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean views
Westerville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here in Jul2012 and did not have a great stay. Stayed again in Oct2012 and this go round I was prepared to ask for a better unit and called several times to ensure a quality unit. It was all for nothing. Arrived at noon to the resort and room was not ready, no problem just stayed by the pool. At 3pm sharp I went to check in and to my horror was given unit 520 which I had complained about before! Went right back to front desk and insisted that I was to be given a better room one with one king and one queen bed. I was moved to unit 820, how or why this was perceived as a better unit I don't know. The entire room from furniture to appliances to the cassette radio player was very dated and worn. Holes in furniture, 2 star quality linens, dirty tile in bathrooms, just downright gross. I booked the unit through Outrigger and expected a quality unit, and this was not. Called and complained but girl working front desk did not care and said nothing else was available. The unit is only cleaned at checkout and quickly cleaned at that so it's not cleaned properly. Maid service was non existent each day I had to call two or three times to get fresh towels. We must of had 100+ towels by the end of our stay as they never took the used and dirty ones. The view was slightly better from this unit however the valley isle next door obviously had a massive fire and burnt down one building, so we got to view that throughout our stay. Worse thing is doesn't appear that they have even started to clean up. Pool was ok, but was not cleaned during the day so by noon it was full of leaves and debris from the trade winds. In addition the pool was grossly hot 85+ most days so it was not refreshing at all. We stayed at a time when there was a homeowners meeting, my advice to these owners would be fire Outrigger, whatever standards they claim to exhibit over the units is that of a 1 or 2 star motel. While the rates are cheaper than Kampala or Lahaina you do compromise quality significantly. We learned our lesson second time around and will not stay here or another outrigger property ever again. It's too unreliable. See photos of unit 820 attached to understand my dissatisfaction.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else or at least avoid units 520 and 820.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I, along with another couple purchased our vacation travel plans through Costco. We were very familiar with the Kaanapali / Kahana area of Maui, having vacationed there a few times before. But were did not know much about the Royal Kahana, other than reading reviews on this page. So we decided to take a chance on a 2 BR 2 1/2 bath room.
We arrived on Friday afternoon and the first thing we noticed was that the louvered windows in the guest bedroom would not open. Apparently, the owner of the room we were given had sealed the windows completely shut. The room stayed extremely warm, especially overnight. Our friends stayed in that room, and although uncomfortable, decided not to complain. Then, early Saturday afternoon we noticed that the refrigerator and freezer temperature was at 60 degrees (we should have known there was an issue when we saw a thermometer inside the refrigerator when we arrived the day before). So our food needed to be transferred to housekeeping until the maintenance staff attempted to repair. Unable to, we requested a different room. We expected resistance, but we knew we were extremely frustrated.
The gal @ the main desk ( I don't know her name, but she said that she was from Ireland), could not have been more pleasant and understanding. She asked us to check two other rooms and we accepted room #810, and it was FANTASTIC! Not only did the guest bedroom windows open, the refrigerator and freezer worked like they should. Our full view of the blue Pacific ocean from our 44' lanai was incomparable to anywhere else that we had stayed, and that includes the Westin resort. Enjoying our morning coffee, while looking out from our lanai is a great way to begin your day. Looking down on the water, we saw Manta Rays, dolphins, a seal and of course, turtles. I went out in front of the condo to snorkel and after being in the water for about 15 minutes, I found myself right next to a turtle. I followed it for about 15-20 seconds, and realized how big they are...about 3' diameter. Pretty cool!
The sunsets were spectacular from our lanai. We enjoyed dinner while watching sunsets and even the mai tais tasted better! This was a great place to stay.
Maui is a beautiful place to vacation, whether your 1st time or 10th time. It never gets old.
During our stay, like most vacationers, we enjoy the sights that the island offers and spent a lot of time in the water and at the beach. After a long day, It was nice to come back to our room and enjoy all the comforts that it offered.
Finally, to the staff at the Royal Kahana, thank you for everything. You did everything right to make an inconvenient situation become a non-issue. We definitely enjoyed our stay and will stay here again. We will recommend you to whoever asks. See you next time!

Room Tip: Higher rooms, usually above the 3rd floor, will have better sunset views without palm trees interfer...
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Outrigger Royal Kahana a few weeks ago and we stayed in a one-bedroom oceanfront condo. We were extremely thrilled with our stay there - the condo was very beautifully furnished, extremely clean and best of all, the ocean views were spectacular! The minute we walked in the door we knew we were in Paradise! We would recommend the Royal Kahana very highly!

Room Tip: ask for oceanfront as opposed to oceanview for the best views
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Loved this location. Not on the strip but off a nice beach, excellent staff. Two people i worked with at the "concierge" travel planner were really nice and informative. Great to be able to get a condo with better than double the largest hotel rooms around - and at less than the cost of a hotel on the Kaanapali strip. I'd do it again!

Room Tip: If you have a choice - get a hgher number room or higher floor. I was in 301 and we heard the garba...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Eagle Creek, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this property twice now and are planning on making this our official place to stay everytime we come to Maui. We love everything about it. The location is great. The view from our lanai was wonderful. The rooms are nice and clean. We had a washer and dryer in both the rooms we stayed in plus a full size kitchen. The staff is very friendly and quick to help. We wish we could live here!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Kahana? Share your experiences!