“Bad deal this time” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kahana Beach Resort

You added Kahana Beach Resort to your Saves list
Kahana Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   4221 Lower Honoapiilani Highway, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #21 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Redlands, California
“Bad deal this time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This was our 2nd visit to this condo booked through our time share and paid cash, did not use points.
As we were advised, I called to request a higher floor two weeks prior to arrival. I did specify that we would be happy anywhere just do NOT put us on the first floor. Well yup! You guessed it. First floor was all they had! Our only option was move next door with no air and no view! This was not what I paid for. So we tried it....
Never again will I stay here with this 1st floor as an option! Absolutely zero privacy!!!! It was like sharing our place with strangers at 6 am EVERY morning! Also the hot tub is right outside our living room! zero privacy to lay around in Jammie's, eat breakfast in Jammie's.... Just down right terrible!!! This DID affect the pleasure of my very much needed vacation.
There were other small things that I didn't care for this time, but not that would deter me from staying here again. The fact that we were unaware or not advised as to what to do during the evacuation due to the tsunami warning was also a big issue for me! They need people to come over from their sister property during times of emergencies to direct people as to what to do!
While this is a wonderful location to sit out on the beach, I felt 100% shafted as to my relaxation in my room! Never again! And yes they were very aware of my disappointment yet did nothing to help me! That was just unacceptable!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
drenzi, Manager at Kahana Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We are disappointed you didn’t enjoy your stay to the fullest. We wish we could fulfill every room request, but our ability to do so is determined by availability and the number of similar requests we receive from other owners and guests. Kahana Beach resort owners are entitled to first priority, and as we have only 12 one-bedrooms, the units on the upper floors can be heavily requested. We do our very best to accommodate the room preferences of all our guests, and are sorry the first floor was all we had left to give you. Please accept our sincerest apology for the difficulties you experienced during your visit.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

we booked this resort for myslf and my grandkids --thru interval --the staff were awesome and no one was there to pester you about buying timeshares etc --was right on the beach awesome view with triple wide balconies --rooms were clean and laundry facilities were just outside room on every other floor --very secure with free parking for your rental car

Room Tip: try to get a 2 bedroom if possible they are all corner suites with magnificient view of ocean
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
drenzi, Manager at Kahana Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for visiting Kahana Beach, Bill. We are glad you enjoyed your holiday with us. As you mentioned, our two-bedroom suites offer plenty of room for the entire family and awe-inspiring ocean views. We are happy our resort staff contributed to your positive experience with plenty of Aloha spirit. Thank you once again for staying with us. We hope to see you soon. Mahalo!
Arvada, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

You can't beat the location of the resort. We had a studio room with a great view. The major downfall to the hotel are the beds. You have 2 options a murphy bed or a fold out couch. Neiter are very comfortable at all. If you do stay here I recommend putting the fold out couch mattress on top of the murphy bed matress! It was the only comfortable way we found to sleep!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for visiting Kahana Beach, Brian. We are happy you enjoyed our spacious 750-square foot studio. It can accommodate up to four people and, as you mentioned, offers fabulous ocean views. We are sorry the Murphy bed and sleeper sofa didn’t meet your expectations. We change out mattresses on an as-needed basis. You can be sure we will inspect the ones in your unit and test them for suitability. Thank you for pointing it out. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider us again.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed in 1 bedroom in February 2012 with my two kids and wife. It has a large living room, a large master room and two full bathrooms. You can see whales and dophins at the room, and can have children run and play in the beach freely while you are watching them play at the balcony as well. I am planning to visit this resort again. I recommend to anyone who plan to visit Maui.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

You cannot beat the location or view, period. As you'd gather from most of the other reviews, the murphy beds are not great, but while lying in your murphy bed listening to the water roll up the beach, staring at Molokai (and Oahu on a clear day) through a rainbow, it really doesn't matter. You'd probably pay 4x's the rate at a hotel/resort for a basic room with this view.

I recently stayed at Kahana Beach through the groupon voucher & I really wish I had purchased several of them to take advantage of this place. I was a little nervous prior to arriving, but I’m totally satisfied with my experience there. The timeshare reps really didn't understand that I was not an owner but using the groupon voucher, so I didn't bother getting in to the details, I just took my parking pass and said thank you. Other than that initial encounter, I received a phone call asking me if I'd like to get a property update, blah blah blah & I said no. I never heard anything else about a timeshare during our visit.

We always had onsite parking, never an issue. We saw multiple turtles all day, every day. The kitchen amenities were more than adequate for our week there. The pool was refreshing after baking in the sun or swimming in the ocean. Convenient driving location to Napili, Kapalua, Honolua, Honokawai, Kaanapali & Lahaina. Plenty of activities, rental shops, stores & restaurants within a few minutes.

I would stay at the Kahana Beach Resort again in a heartbeat (although I may try a 1br unit with a traditional bed)!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

A great location and has the basics which I like because I am vey rarely in my room when there is so much to see. The staff is hard working but the managemnet company for the owners is terrible. Lies lies lies and more lies. High fees for facility and furniture improvements and the
rooms have not Change in 10 plus years- if you stay here enjoy it but don't buy you will regret it

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
drenzi, Manager at Kahana Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments, Robert. We appreciate your ownership and wish we had made a more favorable impression on your last visit. Over the last five years we have made numerous interior and exterior improvements to our resort, including:

• Adding new hallway tile on all 12 floors
• Rebuilding the cabanas
• Restoring exterior concrete
• Recovering the lanais
• Installing new elevators
• Installing an on-demand hot water system
• Installing a new rooftop air conditioning unit
• Installing new barbecues and flooring around the barbecue area
• Installing new blinds
• Installing a new state-of-the-art door lock system

We are currently engaged in a major room renovation that has taken longer than originally planned due to high occupancies. These are necessary projects that aren’t always noticed but vital to the continuing functionality of your resort. We appreciate your feedback and thank you again for your ownership.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We checked in here for a week stay through Interval International's timeshare exchanged program (I had exchanged a studio unit) Having a full kitchen is a must in Maui especially you have a family and staying a week or more otherwise get ready to spend big bucks. I'm so glad I choose this resort and here's why:

We stayed in a huge one bedroom unit with a king bed, 2 bathrooms, separate living room, 2 lanais and a full kitchen. I can only exchange a studio unit if I choose Marriott or Westin which doesn't have a full kitchen. The biggest asset of this resort is the location, (cooler than Lahaina, Kaanapali, Kihei or Wailea area) view of the ocean, nice beach below (not crowded), the amazing sunsets, their hardworking employees and the sound of waves at night. Beautiful Napili beach is just a short drive to the north and perfect Kaanapali Beach is a short drive also . There is free parking and I never had issues finding a spot. We hardly ever heard a noise from other guests in the building. I used one of their 2 sparkling clean Barbecue grills one day. Pool is small but beach is just few steps from the resort.

It's hard to leave our room with the view of the ocean and beach in front of the resort. There were turtles by the rocky side of the beach which fed on algaes on the rocks. My kids saw one turtle resting on the sand couple of times. We walked daily by the beach looking for sea glasses. I used my smartphone as my wifi hot spot so I never had problem with internet connections. AC worked fine throughout our stay. I never paid a dime at checkout.

There is a Safeway in Lahaina but we went to Costco and Kmart one day and that took care of our food the rest of the week. I just wished they had a rice cooker.

We cannot wait to go back to Maui and if I get lucky to exchange my timeshare to this resort again we would definitely stay here again. I cannot comment on the studio units but they do have kitchens which most luxury resorts don't offer and believe me you need a kitchen in Maui unless you just wanna eat fast food like panda express, McDonalds etc...

Room Tip: One bedrooms are the best. They are all ocean front.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
drenzi, Manager at Kahana Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for exchanging into Kahana Beach. We are glad we could justify your decision to stay with us. Our spacious (1,050 square feet) one-bedroom suite is a great upgrade, for all the reasons you mentioned. We are world famous for our breathtaking ocean views and wonderful sunsets. And, as you mentioned, the beach is just outside our door. We appreciate your complimentary remarks and hope you will consider us again on your next visit to Maui.

Been to Kahana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!