“Thoroughly excellent pacific cusine” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Japengo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 224 restaurants in Lahaina
Cuisines: Sushi, Steakhouse, Pacific Rim, Pan-Asian
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kaanapali Parkway
Transit: Take the Maui Public Bus to Whaler's Village and then a short walk along the boardwalk, to the Hyatt Regency Maui.
Description: Japengo is sophisticated dining destination on Maui, featuring world-class steaks, seafood, and sushi. Japengo blends fresh locally-grown ingredients with the exotic flavors of the Pacific Rim. Enjoy indoor and outdoor patio seating, a chic sushi lounge, and an indoor/outdoor lounge area. Happy hour daily and live entertainment every night. Free parking is available.Japengo has earned numerous awards including the 2013 Gold 'Aipono Award for Best Pacific Rim Restaurant on Maui, and 2013 Silver 'Aipono Awards for Best Seafood and Best Asian Restaurant on Maui.Every 2nd and 4th Saturday, Chef Jay shares his secrets in Japengo's Saturday Sushi School, an hands-on culinary class in the Sushi Lounge.
Newport News, Virginia
“Thoroughly excellent pacific cusine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location overlooking the beach on Ka'anapuli (sp). My mother loved her food as did I. She was very happy and I found the steak, lamb and fish to be superb in every way. One does not usually expect such an outstanding experience in a resort hotel. Highly recommended.

• Visited March 2013

80% Recommend
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is a gem! The ambiance is incredible. The views are spectacular no matter where you sit. The food is incredible. And the service was outstanding! Kathleen was very welcoming and recommended nothing but the best. Bobby was our server and he made us feel so welcome. Very friendly! And Delfino was very attentive and professional. We will definitely be back and recommend this place to all our friends and family!

Toronto, Canada
“Very disappointed in food and service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Food was very mediocre for the price of the meal. My first disappointing meal in Maui. Had a well grilled swordfish with an almost tasteless sauce. Brussels sprouts were undercooked. Served with tasteless mashed potatoes. Appetizers were sized for two and could have been a meal in themselves which would be fined if you were not having a main course.
Rained during the meal and we were able to stay dry while others were not. Staff did nothing to pull curtains for rain protection and acted as if they had never experienced rain before. No mops just beach towels.
Will not return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Prescott, Arizona
“Two visits....one was outstanding, the other...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a difficult review for me; I love this place and I hate it. I have been here twice in the last two months. One visit was an almost perfect experience and the other, the second visit, was disappointing in several ways. The second visit was disappointing not in the quality of the food, but in the expectation, the atmosphere (will explain), and the service. We had made advanced reservations for both times.

The first dinner visit was with my husband. We sat outside near the waterfall. The service was top notch and we felt pampered. I ordered sake and the jack fish sashimi as an appetizer. My husband ordered crab cakes. We had the mahi mahi special that day, prepared hibachi style. We ordered a Pinot Noir. Everything was excellent. Husband tipped almost 30%.

Three weeks later I cannot wait to take my friend there. She was visiting us for a week. We were seated inside near the sushi bar…close to the kitchen doors and under the speakers which loudly played a variety of music including rap. Okay…we are not young. But. We said nothing about the seating. My mistake.

I once again ordered sake and jack fish sashimi. After 35 minutes (really), my husband asked the waitress about my order. Waitress was not rude, not hostile, but looked at husband and said, “It’s coming. It’s coming. And your entrees have been fired up.” He told her the idea was that the sashimi was an appetizer, not part of the main meal. She looked at him and again said, “Yeah. It’s coming.”

I received my sake. Unlike the first time, the little carafe was not put on ice and the glass was not frosted. Okay…no biggie, but I’d already been spoiled. My friend then said she decided she might have some sake, too. The waitress did not ask which of the several sake offerings my friend wants, but turns and leaves in a hurry. Waitress returns with a glass and pours MY sake into my friend’s glass. How do I complain in this awkward moment?

After 53 minutes, the sashimi was placed in front of me with a pitcher of soy. The waitress left. I wondered where the dish to mix my wasabi and soy was. I wondered where the fresh ginger was. Again…wait time.

Long story short, the food was excellent once again, but the service and atmosphere inside were disappointing. IMPORTANT: They did comp us for the sashimi because of the wait. Not sure I will return, however.

Visited March 2013
“Good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We went for dinner at japengo and it was great! Our hostess Glenda acknowledged us right away and took us to our seat. Our server Kathleen and Dave were awesome as well! They were very attentive and gave pompt service. We love japengo and found our new favorite spot! Especially because of the Manila clams. Yum!