“everybody went surfing!” 5 of 5 stars

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“everybody went surfing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had never surfed before, and although we are all competent skiers (12 and 18 year old kids plus two adults) we were apprehensive.

But in the two hour session with Jason we all stood up and rode waves as big as we were comfortable doing. We wished we had taken up the option of a photographer at $20 per person as we have no proof !

Surfing was far more tiring than we had thought possible. Who knew lying on a surfboard and trying to stand up could be so exhausting? By the end we were wiped out (tee hee). This was with Jason doing much of the work - holding us in place till the right wave came along and occasionally helping our youngest paddle out through the waves.

As we surfed the day after the cyclone we were also comforted by the fact that Kat in the office kept in touch with us about conditions and adjusted our time slightly so that we were sure to be surfing within our capability level. We felt that a very good balance was struck between ensuring our safety and not disappointing us with a deferred lesson. Very flexible, very laid back.

“Great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Everyone was amazing. My family learned to surf and had a great time. Mike taught my little 5 yr old and 8 yr old girls and they are naturals. Overall worth every penny and it was a great experience. Thank you!

Visited August 2013
Menlo Park
24 attraction reviews
“Much more than just surfing lessons!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!!

Totally amazing. I'm a high school teacher, and I can say that this is much, much more than a bunch of people who push you into waves and tell you to stand up. These people are educators, replete with training and a sincere commitment to learning. They do much more than just teach surfing, they teach positive attitude, grit, a sense of humor, and culture.

I've been a surfer for nearly 25 years, but I've been totally unsuccessful at sharing this joyous gift with my family, as I lack the knowledge and expertise in teaching kids. Enter Jason and Shawn. These two guys had my three kids AND my niece and nephew surfing together and LOVING IT!! My 6 year old daughter and 7 year old niece were on tandem boards with the instructors, while my 9 year old daughter and nephew and 11 year old daughter were surfing by themselves. These guys had the "game plan" to keep everyone moving and surfing, catching waves for the whole two hours... AND THE KIDS DID!!! By the end of the lesson, the three bigger kids were all paddling for waves and catching them regularly, and since they had been taught the "sweet spot" on the board, they all got extremely long rides many times.

*********But here is the most important thing: they all fell. Some wiped out pretty badly, and one of them got bonked by another surfer's board. With care, kindness, patience, and a deft understanding of how kids work, the instructors got every single one of them back out and surfing hard, and everyone ended on a positive note, to the point that they have been BEGGING for two days to get back out and surf more, and are now asking if we can surf back home in California. In one two- hour lesson, these guys have implanted in my family a love for the ocean and for surfing, but more than that, they have all learned to get back up when you fall down, and that just because you didn't do well on that one wave doesn't make the sport bad. I wish all my kids' teachers were that good!! That is amazing.

In addition, there was a professional photographer who took GREAT pics from the beach with a lens that resembled a bazooka. He got right into the action and captured all of us amazingly well. He made everyone look great, and offered the photos to us to keep (there must have been nearly 100 pics) for $50, which was pretty reasonable seeing the quality of the the photos and that fact that in many pics he was able to get two or three of the kids surfing together, which was really cool. I also liked that it wasn't just a couple of prints for $20, as it seems like a lot of places do. It was a CD with ALL OF THE PICS, for us to keep, load onto Facebook, whatever. Very cool.

Visited August 2013
Baton Rouge
“Must do for water sport fans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Our family of four took our first surfing lesson this week with Maui Surf Clinics. Jason was our instructor, and I highly recommend him. He focused on safety and technique. He was able to see our strengths and weaknesses even before we were in the water. We all had great rides. We decided to try surfing at the end of our vacation with no time to return. We are looking forward to another lesson when we return to Maui. If you love water sports and adventure, this is a must do!

New Orleans
“Family Surf Clinic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a private lesson with two instructors for our family of five (kids age 16, 19 and 20). We were all a little hesitant, but we all had a blast and we all managed to actually surf!! Brennan and Jason were awesome. It was one of the highlights of our vacation!!