“Cold Food and Dishes not as Described” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Papalaua Street
Transit: Papalaua Street
Description: David Paul's Island Grill is Maui's most anticipated and exciting new restaurant. Multi-award-winning Chef David Paul Johnson is back in Lahaina with a stunning new oceanfront restaurant. Offering his New Island Style cuisine and legendary service, guests may enjoy several distinct dining areas including the Sunset Terrace with unobstructed ocean views and a front row seat for Maui's unparalleled sunsets. David Paul's market-driven, ever-changing menu utilizes Island-fresh products. A unique wine storage inside the restaurant allows guests to choose their own bottles. David Paul's Island Grill is Maui's new MUST-GO destination.
Agoura Hills, California
“Cold Food and Dishes not as Described”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The person who sat us was rude. We found out later that it was a bus person. The salad we ordered was described as having truffles on top. There were none. The entree was cold. We sent it back. They did not remake it. They heated the plate. It was still cold. The waiter was nice, but he did not seem to know what to do about the situation.

Visited June 2012
dpjHawaii, Owner at David Paul's Island Grill, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for any rudeness you experienced, it is never our intention to make guests feel uncomfortable in any way. I would appreciate it if you let me know what night you dined with us, so I can make sure this problem is corrected within my staff. We do have one busser on staff who does not speak much English and I certainly hope that was not the problem. I am also very sorry if your dinner was served cold. We strive to do our best each and every time but we do sometimes miss the mark. I would like to invite you to come back as my guest and give us the chance to make it up to you. We appreciate your feedback and it is through comments like these that we learn about what we need to focus and improve upon.

Las Vegas, NV
“service was okay, food over-rated, not what we expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We live in Vegas and were excited to dine here, but it fell flat, sorry David, your restaurant needs alot of work. We were highly disappointed and had such high expectations.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
I am truly sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations. Could you please tell me what specifically went wrong with your experience? We are constantly striving to improve and we value the feedback we receive from our guests. I would really like to know more about your visit so we can correct it for next time. I would also like to invite you to come back as our guest and receive the meal you desired. Please contact me at admin@davidpaulsislandgrill.com with details. Thank you for your input and I hope to hear from you soon.

New Phila., OHio
“Meal memorable, waiter mediocre.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We enjoyed our meal but our waiter lacked a great tableside manner.
He only smiled when he presented the pricey tab!

Visited July 2012
Chandler, AZ
“Nice sunset dining experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

A guest at our hotel highly recommended this restaurant and we were try pleased with the overall experience. We were not rushed and had a table on the rail, which was a perfect sunset view. We did the chef's tasting menu and our favorite courses were the duck confit and the lemon/crab risotto cake, which had such a nice crust. The cost of the chef's tasting menu was the same or less as on the mainland and since everything is more expensive in Hawaii, we feel like we got a pretty good deal. We will be back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. I am very honored that you chose our restaurant and enjoyed the tasting menu. So often, only people who have something negative to say post a review, but I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback about your positive experience. It helps us to know what we are getting right, and it always makes me happy when people enjoy our cuisine. Next time you dine with us, please let me know so I can get to meet you personally and ensure you have an exceptional experience.

Mahalo,
Sugar Land, Texas
“Best on Maui”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We never miss returning to David Paul's each time we are on Maui. We have our list of favorite restaurants on the island, but have never topped our experience at David Paul's. The food, service and ambience have always been flawless. Dined there two nights ago and weren't disappointed, and we are returning tomorrow night - can't wait!

• Visited July 2012