“Perfect for young children & alternative to small luxury hotel room or time shares” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Honua Kai Resort & Spa

You added Honua Kai Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   130 Kai Malina Parkway, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
Coto de Caza, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

With 2 small kids, we've outgrown a standard hotel room, so friends recommended Honua Kai (HK). On past trips to Maui, we've stayed up the road at the Ritz Carlton, or Four Seasons in Wailea. Coming from those 2 properties, we had high expectations for HK. Instead of paying $400-500 for a standard room at the Ritz, or FS, we got a beautiful 2 BR with lanai at HK, which was exactly what we needed.

The pools, common areas, rooms are all up to par with the other 2 hotels mentioned. The service isn't bad, but since it's not primarily a full-service hotel, you're a little more "on your own" in terms of getting your own pool towels, setting it on a chair, or cleaning up your condo day-to-day. On the flip side, you now have a huge condo with a full kitchen and nice balcony, so it worked well for us.

The restaurant, Duke's is great, but not for 7 nights in a row, so we went to some other local places, all about 5 min away. Duke's does offer poolside service for food & drinks, so this was wonderful and convenient!

HK is perfect for families with small children, but I think honeymooners, or families with teenage kids would find it a little boring and lacking some of the "busy-ness" of a larger 5-star resort.

I guess all things being equal, we would love to have a $1000 suite at the FS or Ritz, or 2 joining rooms (again, about $1000/nt) instead of HK, but for less than 1/2 of the price, this is a WONDERFUL alternative and I did not feel anything was really missing. I did not feel that spending more than twice the amount for equal accomodations at the Ritz or FS would have made our vacation "twice" as good, so I would recommend HK for families with small kids in lieu of the luxury hotels.

Hands down, I would return to HK in the 2BR/2BA again instead of a single room at any luxury hotel, or a time share property

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Honua Kai condominium complex was a wonderful place to stay on our visit to Maui last week. The facilities are extremely clean with breathtaking views. The staff are extremely friendly and hospitable. We really enjoyed having Duke's Restaurant directly on the premises. The organic restaurant/market in the lobby was wonderful. We really enjoyed the smoothies and breakfast burrito! The beach is accessible and quiet. The grounds are a tropical oasis! We are looking forward to our next stay.....Aloha!

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

This is an excellent place for people travelling with children who would like to have some amenities similar to home. We (extended family of 9) reserved this as part of a package via AAA.
1) Location: North Kanapali Beach. 10 min drive to Lahaina. This area is very windy and this year apparently has been windier than usual. Close to everything but not walking distance.
2) Buildings are new and well kept. There are two of them called H and K.This is really not a resort in the full sense. It is more of a condo-residence with some amenities of a hotel. There is front desk and a valet/bell and a minimarket in the building. But not a full service resort which was fine by us.
3) The entire place and even the pools were never busy/crowded. There was never a problem finding chairs by pool. We even met a family who moved out of Westin b/c of overcrowdedness. There is one pool that is not as big as some megapools you see at major resorts but was good for kids since it ranged from 3-4 feet at most. There were other minipools and some waterfalls etc spread further in the grounds between the two buildings. So there was never a problem of overcrowding.
4) Because of the building's design, most rooms face each other across a wide garden area with views of ocean from the balcony. The closer you were to the ocean, the more ocean you saw. Only certain units have uninterrupted views from inside.
5) we had rented via Honua Kai itself via AAA Travel as part of package. So our units came with housekeeping BUT in contrast to hotel style housekeeping, it was very limited at Honua Kai. They only tidied beds and took garbage out. Linens were changed every 3 days. No real cleaning such as vacuuming or wiping the counters in bathrooms or any adiditional cleaning. They are upfront about it. So that was a let down. A 5$ tip per day helped a bit but it was not spotless as you'd expect. (quirk 1)
6) Kitchens in the units are fully equipped with high end Bosch appliances which require a college degree to figure out the details. Plates and silverware and othe knickknacks were available too. Oddly enough, if you ran out of coffee: it would not get replaced for free. $5 charge (quirk 2)
7) Staff very friendly. Concierge, as with other places, lose interest in you if you are not buying something from them. (quirk 3)
8) Extra $25 per day for resort fee which covered discounted pool/beach equipment; wifi; parking etc. You'd think they won't charge that in this economy to promote a new hotel but they did. (quirk 4)
9) last quirk was that eventhough we had requested nearby rooms, they did not pre-arrange that (in contrast to our experience at Hilton Royal Palms in Myrtle Beach)

Overall, I would have rated this place a 5 had it not been for these small but definitely annoying quirks. For a upscale place, you'd expect more.

Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

The resort was very nice and clean. We travelled with our two young children. We saved money by renting directly from the owner through vrbo. Our experience was mostly good however, we would not return to this property. We paid around $275/night plus cleaning and parking fees. I could not believe the rate did not include the use of ammenites and facilities. If you are considered a "third party" customer you will be charged a fee for parking first thing. Upon check-in (around 8:00 pm) the bellman & vallet attendants were no where in site. These services were not complimentary as we did not rent directly through HK. It was very difficult to carry our sleeping children in addition to all of the luggage so I waited in the lobby for the use of a cart. On day 2, we went to learn about children's activities and check out the play area. We understood that these services would not be free, but I assumed our children could participate and use the facilities for a fee, I was shocked when the attendant on duty said, "your children can't be in here." Our children were very dissapointed. The day before we left I asked at the front desk if there was a computer area we could use to check-in and print our boarding passes. Again, I was asked if I was "third party" they didn't really seem to care, but said for a fee I could call back the next day and pay the concierge to print the pages for me. At this point I just gave up.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

My wife and I rented the Trinh’s Honua Kai condo (Hokulani #514) for our honeymoon from August 12th to August 20th 2010. It was our first time to Maui and we regret nothing about renting this condo. We were blown with away every aspect of the condo and resort. The Honua Kai is a first class resort with all the amenities of a 5 star hotel. The 4 pools (all the reviews I read said 3 pools but I counted 4) were never crowded and we never had a problem finding open lounge chairs. There is an on-site restaurant. Dukes Beach House was nice and they also provide the poolside service. I also enjoyed the water slide even though my wife said I was too old for it. The beach right in front of the Honua Kai is beautiful; although we spent most of our time by the pool. Great restaurants and shopping are just a short drive away. The Whalers Village is about a 30 minute brisk walk or a $10 cab ride. I suggest the latter; especially in the dark. The condo itself was immaculate with everything we needed and the bed was so comfortable. It had all the comforts of home; stainless steel appliances, washer, dryer, cable HD TV, Wi-Fi, stand-up shower, Jacuzzi, double sinks, pool and beach accessories. I would like to extend a special thank you to the Trinh’s for letting us rent their condo. There was an open line of communication through-out the rental process and while we were there. We can’t wait until we go back.
Thank you.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Wow...Honua Kai...how do I miss thee? We truly can't wait to go back. We stayed in #742 (rented through VRBO - Jacki Motto and got a great deal) which is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. The 2nd bedroom is technically a den but with doors enclosing it which worked great for our teen. The living room has a sofa sleeper which was used by our 3 year old and it was actually rather comfy. The main bedroom had a king size bed which was super comfortable and the pillows were awesome! The kitchen was fully stocked and we even cooked a few times. The kitchen/fridge was very helpful to have with children. The bathroom was AMAZING -- separate bath/shower, double sink, super large, etc. I loved having a washer and dryer in the room. The balcony was large and spacious with a large table to eat on and lounge chairs. The view from the balcony was just amazing. To your left, an amazing view of the beach and to your right a great view of the mountains; we saw rainbows daily on the mountain side. Just amazing! We ate at Duke's a number of times and their food inside is better than outside (when you go you will understand what I mean - can't remember what exactly they call it). Their mixed drinks were okay, could have been a bit stronger but they were acceptable. It's great that Duke's has pool service during the day too! When we were at the condo, it was definitely not at capacity. This made our stay super pleasant; no overcrowding like the condos just down the road that we saw on our walks.

So I want to address a few things that I've read in previous reviews. First, the smell from the sewage plant. We were on the property for 7 nights and not once did we smell anything while on the property. As we drove out to the main highway, it did smell funky but NEVER while on property. We hung out at the pools and beaches daily and never smelled anything. Granted, it was windy so that may have helped push the smell elsewhere but I can attest to the fact that we never smelled anything while on property. Secondly, I read something about the property being dirty. No way! This place was immaculate. I saw people cleaning windows, vacuuming, fluffing pillows, etc. and never saw one piece of trash on the ground anywhere. They have an amazing pond with koi fish that my 3 year old loved. Lastly, the cleaning service / daily maid. If you rent from a private owner you will not get this daily maid service. Be aware of where you are renting from so that you know what to expect. You will get your maid service if you rent directly from HK and not from an individual or property management company. If you rent directly from HK you will pay a premium and you will get your maid service. We paid hundreds of dollars less by renting from an individual and I dealt with no maid service (not a big deal since we are rather clean people anyway). Yes, the front desk is for those that rent directly from HK but I felt we were treated no differently by anyone on property. Any issues I had I was asked to deal directly with the property manager that introduced to me upon check in. Bottom line, if you want to save $$ and I mean big $$$ rent from VRBO or a property management company. Our contract was clear on what we got and what we didn't get.

I have to add the pools were AMAZING! We loved the water slide and the lazy river as well as the kids section of the pool. We had the most beautiful time in Maui and this condo complex completely impressed our family. We can't wait to go back. Thank you Honua Kai and Thank you Jacki for a great condo and great rental experience!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Beautiful!! Pool area and beach area great for kids, and adultss. Very clean, lots of chairs by pool, never had a problem getting one. Great lava flows at Duke's poolside service. Can't say enough about this place. The beach right by the pool is beautiful, and ther were humpback whales, right there. It is great.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!