“Perfect 2 week vacation” 5 of 5 stars

You added Honua Kai Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   130 Kai Malina Parkway, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Lahaina
“Perfect 2 week vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Wish we could have stayed another week! Our 3 families (6 adults & 4 kids under 6) stayed in a three bedroom ocean view room. The rooms were clean with high end finishes and fixtures. Glad we were in the Hokulani building since we used the gourmet market and the kid pool more than the spa and 'quiet' pool located at the Kona building. The Lanai was large and a safe play area for the kids. The beach is beautiful, but be prepared to pay $10 per chair & $20 per umbrella per day. They set it all up which is nice but it gets pricey if you go to the beach everyday. The food at Dukes is good, but expensive. Thankfully the kitchen is well equipped (down to a salad spinner) so we were able to make over half of our meals in the unit. Close to Lahaina shopping, Whalers village and lots of restaurants. Drive to the Safeway grocery store for better prices and selection than the Times grocer on the property. If your flight home is a late one, ask for a free room to hang out in on the checkout day so you have one last chance to enjoy the pool. Take advantage of the free 8x10 portrait session. Ours turned out great. My only complaint was the inconsistent room cleaning. Some days were good, some not so much. For the nightly hotel cost I expected a more thorough job. Would have liked clean sheets after one week and they rarely if ever vacuumed the carpet. Otherwise, completely happy and will definitely return and tell all my friends about it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Eatontown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is the 2nd time we stayed at the property. The place is right on the beach in North Kanapalli beach.
The place is beautifully landscaped and very clean. Employees at the resort are very friendly and helpful.
We did have a very negative experience at the Spa and went some where else. We tried to inquire about their services and were treated very rudely and walked out. I later spoke to the owner and he was apologetic and offered a discount. I made an appointment and later canceled. First impressions are important and we were dissapointed. Maybe try again in the future. We are in a 1 b.r. this time. It is okay for a couple, but check the layout as some rooms are larger than others. This time we are in a mountain view room. This is fine for us and the lanai is perfect with a table and chairs to enjoy meals outside. The pools are very nice and they even have a quiet pool if you want to relax and read.

Room Tip: Look at the room layout. Rooms are priced by views and higher floors are more. It depends on your bu...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rochester NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our ocean view room was spectacular, immaculate, seemed brand new (we were in the Konoa bldg). One feature we loved was the short stroll (10 mins) to the grocery store across the road. Their sushi is amazing. Also the boardwalk running or walking path along the beach is great. This is a family resort so expect background squeals from happy kids at the pool...music to our ears. The beach is steep, waves high, and the current can be strong, and there is coral, so that is not ideal for younger kids. The drive to Hana is not to be missed. Spend time on front street in Lahaina in the evening, a 15 minute drive.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My family of four (2 young kids) stayed in a 1 bedroom ocean view for 8 nights. Our condo was nicely furnished, of good size and in immaculate condition. We ended up eating most of our breakfasts and lunches in the condo; there is a considerable selection of appliances, dishware, cutlery, etc to use. The view from our lania was excellent, and the space on it was large and comfortable, much better than any hotel we've stayed. The beach was great, and the kids also really enjoyed the pools and waterslides. Duke's onsite is very convenient, and there are many very good restaurants within a 10min drive. Actually really hard to think of anything lacking or missing....we're already planning on returning.

Room Tip: There are several property maps to choose from on the internet and that's what we used to select...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have stayed at Honua Kai Resort and Spa three times over the last few years. First time was on a girls vacation with my friend (in a two bedroom mountain view) and then twice with my boyfriend (in a one bedroom partial ocean view). After continuing to come to Maui on vacation, we recently moved to Maui. When friends and family come here on vacation, Honua Kai is the place I recommend they stay and everyone who has stayed there has loved it.

The resort is located in north Kaanapali, so it's close to restaurants and shopping (even walkable), but slightly removed from the main drag of hotels and resorts. The property itself is top notch. The rooms are gorgeous, clean, with amazing bathrooms with Aveda products, washer/dryer and gourmet kitchens. The beds are so comfortable.

There are many amenities that make this resort wonderful. The pools and hot tubs are gorgeous and the beach excellent for watching sunsets. I highly recommend renting a cabana for the day. I like the one where you are right on the pool steps. The fitness centers are excellent with lots of modern equipment. Also take a fitness class in the morning with my good friend, Amanda!

Duke's is the on site restaurant and has good food at reasonable prices. They also have a small gourmet market in the main building. The smoothies are great and you can also buy ready made salads and other snacks.

Take advantage of the concierge for booking activities. On my first trip, my friend and I booked a catamaran trip to Lanai, which was lovely. I also booked a discover scuba dive with Tim at Tiny Bubbles, which was a great experience.

Overall, Honua Kai is an awesome property that is worth a visit. Another tip I have is around room selection. The mountain view rooms are nice- you often will see rainbows. Splurge for ocean view if you can afford it.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are still nice, so don't be afraid of booking mountain view and possibly upg...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Indialantic, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was our second trip to Honua Kai, and we can't find enough good things to say about it. We have rented a three bedroom condo, which is perfect for our extended family. The service is wonderful, the bedding awesome. We were on the fifth floor with full ocean view and the the sunsets were gorgeous. As usual in a resort like this, I get the most annoyed at the infamous lounge hoggers which were out in force while we were there. But I REALLY appreciated the staff bringing out more chairs to put on the lawn in between the ocean and the pool. We also loved the luxury of the parking valet, so worth it when you are coming back, hot and tired, it's so nice to have a smiling face greet you and take care of the car. We have traveled to a lot of different places, and the Honua Kai is for sure our favorite !! If I could wish for something, I would wish for a little bit of something special on Christmas Day. There weren't that many decorations, and it didn't seem like there was anything exciting for the little ones who were there for Christmas, We only ate at Dukes' for breakfast and lunch, since the restaurant was totally booked for dinners. I would suggest that if you go there over Christmas to make reservations ahead of time. But everything we ate there was delicious and the staff friendly. I'd still be there if it were up to me !!!

Room Tip: The higher up gives you a better view of either the mountains or the sea. We've never had a pro...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Irvine, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I am so disappointed. I spent $15,000 at this resort I would expect some decent service. I was met with the complete disregard for customer service. If you are planning your vacation here I would think twice. They cater to ownership of condos not being a resort! If you ask to speak with a manager, it wont happen. I wrote a letter to the general manager after my stay no response. Go at your own risk.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!