“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Huntington Beach, California
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed with another couple in a two bedroom condo and we had a great time. Dukes had great food. The room was awesome. There was a grocery store very close if you want to eat in. The store at the resort was also helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Great family resort! Plenty of rooms, your able to cook your own dinner to save some money or even barbecue by the pool. Kids loves the many different swimming pools. Close to everything, the times grocery store is right across the property. The beach is easy access, great place to watch the sunset.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hartford City,IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

If you are visiting with kids under 10 years old you will want to be here. Waterslide, pools, beach toys, towels. Mario and Jordan in the pool area will take care of you. Very nice time. Well kept grounds. Saw a guy actually using a floor scrubber to clean the sidewalks. Cinnamon rolls at the store are close to Hall of Fame status. Duke's nearby is a bonus. Great time!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Honua Kai is beautiful, stayed here for the second time. The rooms are all new and stocked with most everything you need and the property is beautiful. Location is great, has a nice beach right there, or walking distance to stores and other beaches. The pool area can get crowded with kids during the day, but the resort is very quite at night. This can be a positive and a negative, as if you are looking for a peaceful relaxing vacation, this is it, but if you are looking for nightlife, it does not exist here. Duke's Bar is great for happy hour in the afternoon, has some fantastic drinks, and remains busy until early evening. The only down side is the wifi can be temperamental in the rooms and cut in and out of connection.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4/14/4/21- We booked a 1bedroom mountain view, we got a very small room ,not at all what the pictures showed. Bathroom access was through kitchen not bedroom, bathroom had no counter space only 1 sink. Again not what the pictures showed. I complained about the room and was told they were sold out. I was kicking my self for not booking the Westin villas next door. ( since its my preference) Day 2 I couldn't take it any longer and talked to Jerome, at the front desk. I was willing to pay more for a bigger bathroom. He also said no availability but would call me if something came up. Next day he called and asked if we wanted to move to a larger mountain view@konea tower. We moved immediately, bell hop was there to help move all our food and belongings. Very efficient valet and bell hop service.

New room OH so much better, just what the pictures show, 2 vanities and sep shower/ bath tub, entrance from bedroom. I stayed in room 614. Jerome took good care of me. I loved the washer and dryer in room, please don't make the mistake of over packing like I did, not at all necessary, just take a carryon and wash your clothes there. Even I a very high maintenance person did not need all those clothes or shoes. Very happy with this room. Just make sure you get a double vanity if you need it. What a difference it makes to be comfortable :) furniture and bed very comfy, kitchen nice efficient. We stopped at Costco right after we flew in, since its almost next to airport. We brought our Costco insulated bags with us, what a great idea that was, Since we had to wait a couple of hrs to check in. We had a lg bag and smaller insulated bag, so we used it all week, for day trips and beach. This saved us $$.

Dukes restaurant was nice, the calamari was the best. However the waiter from New York pissed me off, on our last night we had dinner and atmosphere was beautiful food was ok. (Hit n miss) he started a conversation about himself for the entire time we dinned, with the table next to us.. I Did not want to hear his life story about football n his kids. I wanted a romantic quite meal with my husband , he never refilled our drinks or even checked on us cause he was busy talking the entire time we were there, very unprofessional. We left no tip to make a point. He should write a book about himself and see if anyone cares.

The beach was clean and beautiful however it's ridiculous to charge $10. Per chair and $30 or20 for umbrella. It should be included with the resort fee. We rented beach hairs from bobs snorkel. What a great idea. Saw 2urtles but missed the whales.
Tip I learned if I do stay here again I will book through vrbo instead of Internet travel site. This way you know exactly the unit YOu will get,instead of the lowest grade. Also even room #= mountain view odd #= ocean view or resort view.
Overall the HONUA KAI is beautiful but needs more work, the staff at the desk are very unwelcoming and inconsistent with the exceptio of Jerome. The house keepers in the honea tower 3floor were not efficient at all, I hate to report this but hey we're lazy, first room dusty, and sinks were not cleaned toilets not cleaned. Hope they can improve.

Pool area nice, but water was cloudy in all pools this means dirty water full of bacteria. as pool owner I refrain from cloudy water pools.
Over all I happy to be in Maui.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Had a wonderful stay @ this resort. Absolutely beautiful, with a great beach for snorkling, swimming, walking and sunning.

We rented our suite from the VRBO site and loved the accommodations!

Love Dukes Beach House. Went for lunch and supper quite often and the sunsets were beautiful every time we were there.

I would return to this resort in a heartbeat. One of the newer resorts in Maui.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Rarely do I feel that on my next leisure trip I would return to the same place, but Honua Kai is definitely one of them. We stayed in the Konea tower in an Oceanview Studio, and were very pleased. We traveled with a 9-month old baby and our #1 concern was around being in an impeccably clean place. Well, at Honua Kai that happened, and we were extremely pleased by the level of cleanliness in the room, the adjacent facilities, the pool area, the beach, the parking lot, etc. (a big Thank You to the ladies who cleaned the room daily!). The kitchen was fully equipped (they even had a blender in it!). The bathroom is spacious, with separate shower cabin and bath tub. The room had washer and dryer, which are definitely helpful when traveling with a baby and need to do frequent laundry. Nice furniture, quiet A/C unit. Also, the room was very very quiet at all times, which is great.

The resort is perfectly located on one of the most beautiful beaches on Maui. It has a supermarket in walking distance range, as well as at least 3 or 4 car rental companies.

The restaurant on the premises (Duke's) is just great and very well placed, allowing from most (if not all) tables to see the ocean, which is a great view at sun set.

We appreciated the care that the personnel took, both the concierge service and at the reception. They were extremely responsive to our concerns when we had one, and always offered a solution or actionable help. In particular we are thankful for the late check-out, thank you very much.

A couple of (small) disappointments:
-the oceanview studio rooms could have a better "oceanview"; I would rather call the view from our room (4th floor) a "partial oceanview", that would be more illustrative of the reality--but still a great room and beautiful view
-the resort itself does not have a spa

Overall GREAT choice, we would warmly recommend this resort to any couple traveling with or without children.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!