“I love Honua Kai!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 29 hotels in Lahaina
Columbia, Missouri
“I love Honua Kai!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

This was my 5th trip to Maui. Over the years I have stayed everything from budget condos (Polynesian Shores) to luxury resorts (Ritz Carlton). Honua Kai is my new favorite "home away from home" and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else on Maui.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean view unit on the 3rd floor in the Hokulani tower. The unit was extremely comfortable and everything (furniture, appliances, beds, bathrooms) was very high quality. I loved the huge lanai. The pools were very nice and never over crowded. The beach was nice but if you want to snorkel you'll want to go down to Black Rock or Kapalua Bay. The Times Supermarket across the street had a great selection of food at reasonable prices (for Hawaii), much better than Safeway in Lahaina. Valet parking and wireless internet is included in the $25/day resort fee. We tried self parking our car once in the garage but found it to be easier to just valet.

I would highly recommend Honua Kai.

1,905 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

My family of four (children ages 7 & 9) rented Honua Kai unit 213 (Konea tower) in the middle of January, 2011. We were VERY happy with our 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite. The huge balcony is awesome! I loved to open up the corner balcony doors first thing in the morning to let in the fresh air and hear the ocean. Everything in the suite (appliances, countertops, glassware, cookware, sheets, pillows, towels, etc. . .) is all top of the line and like new. And the location of unit 213 is great because it is a very short walk to a side elevator that takes you right down to the parking garage or the pools/beach walkways. You don’t have to walk all the way back to the lobby if you want to get to your car or go to the pool.
One of my favorite things about the resort itself is how new everything is. I’ve stayed at some very nice resorts (ex: Dana Point Regis, Hilton Waikiola Village on Big Island, Maui Marriott, and the Hyatt in Oahu) and although these resorts are very nice, the carpets always have some stains and the trim is all nicked up, etc. . . . . . . Our unit was like new and very clean. I also appreciated how there was paper towels, trash bags, clean sponges, laundry detergent, toilet paper, etc. . . . It was nice to not have to think about buying that kind of stuff. There is also a carpet sweeper and broom/dust pan to use. I can’t stand sand indoors  And, I don’t want to forget to mention that our unit had a nice portable cooler, beach toys and mats, and boogie boards. We used that cooler several times for picnics and going to different beaches. Plus, our suite was huge. The Honua Kai has all the amenities of a deluxe resort, but you’re not stuck in a 400 square foot room with two queen beds. You get almost 1400 square feet! I also should mention that the resort staff (bell men, parking attendants, cleaning staff, and front desk staff) are all very friendly and willing to help you with whatever you need.
We originally booked our unit through a company we found on VBRO called Honua Kai Vacation Rentals and Reality all the way back in early 2010. At some point during 2010, I believe the company referred all of their clients to Harris Hawaii Realty Group. The transition went very smoothly. The end result was me dealing with Brooke Moore from Harris Hawaii Realty Group. He was very nice to deal with and even met us when we arrived to make sure we got in OK.
I ate at Duke’s restaurant at least once every day I was there. The food is wonderful. My favorite breakfast was the eggs benedict and potatoes. The lunch and dinner menu is also very good. The only thing I did not like about Duke’s is how uptight most of the staff was. I was there to relax, eat, and have a good time. I had three different waiters/waitresses that were downright rude in my opinion.
Honua Kai resort is in a great location. Although my family enjoyed the road to Hana, The Pools of Oheo, Makena Beach, and Hookipa Beach on the other side of Maui, we prefer the scenery on the west side of Maui. We had a great time taking a hike to the Mokolea Pt. Blowhole, then had a picnic lunch watching a bunch of whales swim by. Absolutely amazing! On your way, stop and talk to Mel Witt At Witt’s End. He’s a Patriots player from back in the 60s and lives under a tree by the side of the road. He has a little shop there and loves to talk to people.
If you’re going to a luau, The Feast at Lele is pretty good. Although it’s pricey, I like the fact that they serve you all of your food. I’ve been to three buffet luaus, and it’s such a hassle to get the food and drinks. The Feast at Lele serves a TON of food and drinks, and is at a beautiful setting.
Another fun thing to do in Maui is the Trilogy Lanai Snorkeling day trip. The crew works so hard and is so much fun. We actually had a whale breach right by our boat. My entire family saw it and it was a highlight of the entire trip.
To sum up, I will definitely be booking another trip to Maui. This is my 4th trip to Hawaii (Big Island, Oahu, and Maui twice). And my next visit will be, again on Maui, and I would love to stay at the Honua Kai suite 213. It exceeded all of my expectations. This is why I’ve taken the time to write this nice review. I hoping for a discount in 2012 

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Ontario, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Beautiful Place , unfortunate it is across the street from sewage plant.... and plagued with sewage gas smells backing up at Dukes open air restarent, and pool area !

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Franklin, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights with our daughter and son-in-law. Our 2 bedroom condo in the newer tower was very nicely furnished and roomy. We enjoyed having a kitchen and a washer/dryer. There is a grocery store across the street from the property and a gourmet market on the property and we took advantage of both. The pool areas are lovely, the beach is nice, and the sidewalk connects this property to many others in the area. There are lots of comfortable seating areas in the lobby and in the courtyard between the buildings. There are great beaches for snorkeling or surfing, and hikes in the area.
These condos do face on another over a courtyard and if you are picky about privacy you might be uncomfortable. You can see all of the people on their balconies and inside their units, if their drapes are open. This didn't bother us but it is something to be aware of.
Overall I would highly recommend this property if you are looking for a condo. It is just north of the very busy beaches by the big hotels of Kannapali so the location is great, there is a lot beauty in the building, furnishings, and art, and there is plenty to do in the area.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed at Honua Kai from March 7th through the 12th. The only negative was the Tsunami warning but can't control nature! Unfortunately we were up most of the night Thursday because the warning sirens went off every hour until the threat had passed. The hotel did a great job and announced status after each siren. We had to be on alert to evacuate but luckily that never happened. Other than that.......
I had booked directly with the hotel for a one bedroom ocean view but got upgraded to a two bedroom when we got there. The condo is just beautiful and well equipped. Whale season is in full swing and the first night we we there, while dining at Duke's, two whales came up and breached very close off shore right in front of the restaurant! Couldn't ask for more than that.....and no need to pay for a whale watching trip as the entire time we were there you could see plenty of whales from the view off our lanai. Very spectacular! Assuming you have been reading the other reviews for this place I will try and hit the points mentioned.

Beachwalk- great can go for a long way if you like to walk
Beach in front of the hotel-yes a lot of coral so not great for swimming but excellent for snorkeling and well worth doing it, lots of fish
Pools-good and plenty of room for everyone
Times market across street from hotel- Good and well supplied
Specialty market at hotel- Good for specialty items
Housekeeping- read the card so you know what to expect.They do just a resupply of towels etc each day and clean every 3rd day of your stay. Personally I liked this because it was not disruptive.
Duke's restaurant- food is not bad but not great. Atmosphere is great because of location and their nightly entertainment was good. Much better dining available in nearby Lahaina namely MaLa Ocean Club. Decent Chinese restaurant called China Boat right up the street north of the resort.
The rumored sewer smell- did not smell it at all
Conclusion- GO!!! You will love it!

Elmhurst, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stayed at the Honua Kai for a week in february and I have to say it was truly one of the most amazing places I have ever stayed. We had two couples in our group and we rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo. You can book through the hotel or what we did was book through a property rental company. Owners of the units go through them and we figured we got a better deal this way. (The property management company was called kaanapali beach rentals and I recommend them as well) We were in unit 919 which had great views of the pool and beach. We could see whales from our lanai. This property is beautiful every unit has a lanai where the doors open up completely and everyone just leaves them open all day. All the decor, appliances, furniture, etc are completely brand new and of high quality. The pools are amazing as well as the beach. It is 100% worth the price to stay at this property if you are going to maui. You will not be disappointed. Dukes which is on the hotel property overlooking the water has great food and drinks and a happy hour every night as well as live music. Only downside if you book directly through an owner or property rental company is the hotel staff is rude and unhelpful since they know you didnt book through them and they are technically not obligated to provide any services or help to you if you are problems etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
vista
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Awesome, awesome, awesome! It doesn't get any better! Couldn't find anyone in the staff without a smile. Happy, friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautiful and dining at Duke's by the beach was a treat. I can't say enough about this place and we're planning our next trip there now.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!