“Best shave ice on Maui!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert, Hawaiian, Ice Cream, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Denton, Texas
“Best shave ice on Maui!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The one thing we had always found lacking on the island of Maui was Hawaiian shave ice. Several years ago, it seemed like the best place to find a good shave ice was in the cannery mall. Now, there are various shave ice places all over. But, the best of these is definitely Ululani's.

The flavors are very good, the ice is fluffy perfection, and the staff are very friendly. We visited both Lahaina Front Street locations several times during our stay, and the shave ice was consistently good. Both are takeaway counters, so there really is no atmosphere to speak of.

If you need more syrup, just ask - they will pile it on! And, be sure to try the Roselani haupia ice cream on bottom - wow! The orange, root beer and blue vanilla were my favorites. Coconut didn't have a lot of flavor, to me, though I know it's popular.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

96% Recommend
  • Korean first
“You will not eat a snow cone again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I know what everyone is thinking, it can't be that good! Well, you would be wrong...it is that good! I went to both locations in Lahania. At the first location I let the worker pick out my flavors and four days later, I went to the second location and picked out the citrus special. Both were unbelievable. There are so-called Hawaiian Shave Ice stands near where I live, nothing like what they have in Hawaii and Ululani's has the best shave ice in the country. I cannot believe how good they are and if you get to Hawaii (and you should go, so beautiful) get one. The ice is like velvet and the flavors are bold and natural tasting.

Visited September 2013
“If you only try shaved ice once, try Ululani's!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I believe Ululani's has multiple stores in Lahaina; however, my Fiance and I stopped at the one off of Front Street (near a village area). This was our first time trying Shave Ice and we were impressed! Much tastier and creamier than a snow cone and no comparison. They offer an assortment of flavors. I believe we tried a triple combination of guava, strawberry and passion fruit...amazing! We looked on Trip Advisor before hand since there were multiple Shave Ice shops - needless to say we were not disappointed! HIGHLY recommended!

Maryland
“Yummy shave ice...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

So our family really likes shave ice and when we come to Hawaii we go to all our favorite ones and try them out and rate them. Ululani's rates right at the top!!!!!! They had great flavors to choose from and three types of ice cream (vanilla, coconut, or macadamia nut). My husband loved the Li Hing Mui powder you can sprinkle on top. The only down side is they are more expensive, but it's worth it.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Westminster, Colorado
“Simply the best treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Real shave ice is not a snow cone - you don't get tiny, granulated pieces of ice, it's more like soft, freshly fallen snow. Ululani shave ice is soft, and they make their own syrup, so you get something a little bit different. Try tiger's blood with some macadamia nut ice cream. Yummy!