“beach camp olowalu” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Camp Olowalu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lahaina
Camp Olowalu
You added Camp Olowalu to your Saves list
800 Olowalu Village Road, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761   |
Ranked #38 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Lahaina
Bayreuth, Deutschland
“beach camp olowalu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

a very easy way to camp at maui without having problems with state park officers, because its privat and the camp manager is friendly.
i only put cash in the postbox at arriving in the evening and build up my tent.
there are also cabins available.

tx for this cheap and easy accommodation!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

It smells pee, and everybody seems to be there for more than 14 days (which is the limit)... You don't want to camp there for 10$/person/night...

• Stayed October 2011
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This was my first camp site once I reached the island. I am a single woman who wanted to see this island in a unique way. This Camp reminded me of a place where old soldiers or drug destroyed men who otherwise would be homeless hang out. Most tents there had been there a very long time (months to years), some even had a "garage/storage" tent set-up. These guys are here to stay. The rent/mo is cheap there ($300-320). The campsites were right up near the beach which was nice, and the man next to me was nice enough to warn me about the painful sting of the caterpillars, thorns on the trees, etc. I do think as some of the other reviews that the campsites need to be freshened up, the fallen trees are definately seen in other parts of Maui, it just needs a bit of attention (limbs, etc) - it is rather dusty too.

Will I stay here again? No, I won't. I would rather pitch my tent on a more open beach or drive to Hana and stay at Wainapanapa State Park where it is impeccable!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

A combination of US and international travelers and homeless people on Maui.

The campground could be cleaner and better configured, but I have to admit that it was one of the quietest campgrounds (at night) I have ever stayed at. I also liked the fact that no one was burning (or trying to burn) open campfires -- so you could enjoy the good air quality. You can also hear the waves breaking at night.

I think my nerves were steady in regards to staying in a semi-homeless encampment, but I could easily see how many people would feel uncomfortable in that type of situation. In the defense of the "permanent" residents there, they seemed fairly mellow and not overly friendly or unfriendly.

I played it safe and put everything inside my tent in my rental car when I left for the day (I just left my tent there during the day -- nothing else).

Suggestion to owners: have a max stay limit (2 weeks to a month). Maybe clean up the campground and the grounds around it a bit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

A perfect place to stay right on the beach in beautiful Olowalu Maui for very cheap. Tent camping or cabins are available. Beautiful coral reef right out front great for kayaks and snorkeling and stand up. All are here for rent for a good price as well.

I am a little confused by all the previous negative reviews, we have expereinced nothing but good. Come check it out for yourselves! One of our favorite places on Earth...We will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kladno, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

The campsite is dusty and dirty. Camping are is full of fallen trees and broken branches. Mobile restrooms were nearly full of excrements. Showers are very primitive. Manager is not very friendly and polite. Wireless internet connection is available only in a proximity of the "office". There is no place to put notebook and connect it to AC if a dirty table normally used as work table is not accepted. Campers are not admited to the cabin area where are tables present. Not respecting it causes shower from irrigation system switched on personally by manager. It seems that the manager takes some care for cabins but campers are intruders for him. Homeless people are present but i do not consider it to be main problem of this camp. I have to admit that position of the camping is very useful and no other camping is in a proximity.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Hi, My friend and I just returned from Maui, we planned on camping at Camp Olowalu OMG you won't believe how dirty this place is. I have traveled in a lot of countries but I have NEVER seen such a place.
We paid for a cabin $40 for our first there, my mistake I should of checked the place before, but the website looks so nice right! Well guess what we didn't even stayed for the night, Oh Well!!! We lost $40 not a big deal!!! I feel sorry for people who make reservations and pay in advance. Please don't make a reservation you will regret and read the other reviews posted before mine.
We talk about it with people from the area and they all knew about it, they called this place "The ritz Olowalu" LOL
This place is CRAPPY, UNSAFE and probably full of BEDBUGS. Look at my pictures!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Camp Olowalu? Share your experiences!