“Best part of my trip!! This morning I...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy

Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy
117 Prison Street, Right Next to the Big Parking Lot on the Corner of Front St. And Prison St, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96767
+1 808-276-7873
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 164 Activities in Lahaina
Type: Surf Camps, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Expert instructors and professional surfers teach you to ride a wave on your first lesson, then help you improve, fast! First time surfers and athletes looking to improve performance are welcome.
“Best part of my trip!! This morning I...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010 via mobile

Best part of my trip!! This morning I was nervous and had no idea what I was getting myself onto before this memorable experience! Steve Bakers fun enthusiasim and easy approach to teaching not only made me feel save but taught me to how to surf and have a ton of fun! Thank you so much and I will definetly be back again!!!

Los Angeles, California
“Three cheers for Kawehi!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Ok, I might have shied away from this place had I known they had an MTV reality show. But, blissfully ignorant as I was, we booked a private lesson for our 5 year old son through our hotel concierge and were thrilled with the experience. To be honest, we know nothing about surfing. We chose the school based on the concierge recommendation and also because they were willing to teach a 5 year old.

We showed up at the appointed check in time, met our son's teacher, Kawehi, and then went off to the beach. The beach where they teach in Lahaina is a little bit crowded with new surfers but is great because it is shallow for a good stretch so even new surfers can go pretty far out. Kawehi spent about 20 minutes teaching our son the basics on land and then they paddled out together. Well, I guess Kawehi really did the paddling for the both of them.

At this point, my son was feeling less than gung ho. He had the idea of surfing stuck in his head and was dying to try it but he's not really a dare devil or super athletic by nature. He does swim but doesn't feel completely confident swimming a lot by himself. For this reason, Kawehi was a great teacher for him. He was extremely positive and patient and didn't rush my son at all. In fact, he seemed to sense that my son is the slow-to-warm-up type and just let him take his time. He was also very careful about keeping our son as isolated as possible, both for safety reasons and to ensure that he wouldn't get distracted by other surfers (very wise when dealing with a 5 year old). They took a few breaks when my son complained about being cold but always went back out with good attitudes. During the breaks, Kawehi entertained us with stories about growing up on Maui and surf culture. And by the end of the two hour lesson, my boy was up and surfing! He had a handful of good runs (turns? waves?). I swear, Kawehi worked some kind of miracle.

We have already recommended Kawehi and Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy to some friends who arrived in Maui on our last day. Hopefully they will love it as much as we did. It initially seemed pricey but in the end was worth every penny. I agree with the reviewer who said that the price is totally justified when you consider that the instructor carries both boards down the beach and also has to paddle out two boards over and over again. Add the fact that my son said it was his favorite experience of the vacation and is already asking when he'll be able to surf again, and spending the money seems like a no-brainer!

Now my favorite part of the whole experience is that they have a professional photographer out on the beach taking pictures with a giant lens. He got pictures that I could not have gotten with my point and shoot. You are given the option to pay $20 for a cd with a bunch of really nice photos, which you get to preview before buying. We've already poured over ours dozens of times!

Anyway, we will definitely book lessons here again the next time we're in Maui!

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Josh is an awesome teacher!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

My whole experience with the RHSA was great! Everyone was really nice and my instructor Josh made it easy and fun to learn! I was scared at first but he was there the whole time and took all the fears I had away! Spent most of the time in the water instead of too much explaining on the ground which I liked. More practice! I would recommend this place and ask for Josh... he rocks!

Check out Barnacle Bills to eat after too ;-P

Seattle, WA
9 attraction reviews
“Uneven service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

The instructor was very knowledgeable and personable but he spent most of his time and attention on the teenage girl in the bikini in our class, and not the two of us males, so we didn't get very much actual "instruction". On the otherhand, Royal Hawaiian has a much better instructor/student ratio than the other surfing groups that were out on the water at the same time as us.

Everett, Washington
“Even we could do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

When I heard, you will get up and ride a wave or your lesson is free, I thought- sweet, free surf lesson. My athletically challenged sister and I BOTH rode every wave and had an amazing time! Our instructor was friendly and gave our group the perfect information so we all could enjoy our time surfing. We will be back and we will do this again!