“Perfect Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, California
“Perfect Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We recently returned from one of our yearly trips to Maui. I must say that I read all the reviews as I always do which plays a part in deciding where we will stay. Throughout the whole trip I kept asking my family, "How could anyone complain about this hotel?". Sure nothing in life is completely perfect, but this hotel comes close. When we checked in I asked to be upgraded to an ocean view from our reservation of garden view. They said it depended on availability and sure enough we were upgraded. I do agree that the view makes a difference, but there was no guarantee we would get it. My advice is to pay for what you want just in case you don't get upgraded. You should not be upset if you don't get upgraded as that is not what you booked. It was icing on the cake to be upgraded. Next time I wouldn't risk it or count on it and just pay outright for the upgrade, just in case. Sure no one likes to pay a resort fee, but any nice hotel charges for these. Get over it! Yes the food can be expensive, but again, that is expected. You are staying at a luxury resort, on vacation. Plan on paying for these extras and don't be disappointed. There are no hidden fees, it is just the way it is. If you don't like it, stay elsewhere. I don't think the resort is too spread out as some have said. I can't really complain about anything. We have stayed at the Westin and the Kaanapali Alii so we are use to nice resorts. I must say that this is one of the nicest and I definitely plan on going back. The beach is great, the snorkeling great, the pool very tropical and not ordinary. The rooms are spacious (for a hotel, and non-condo) and there is a refrigerator which you don't often find at hotels. To save money you can buy some sandwhiches or the like for a meal or two. In reading the last review, who cares what the parking garage is like?! That's not your room. I just don't understand some of these complaints and believe me, I can be very picky. We had a small problem with our room (plumbing issue) but Laura DeMott was very receptive. Sure some staff are friendlier than others but again, if someone is not over the top nice, is that going to ruin your trip?! In sum, all I can say is I am counting the days (and I've only been home 2 days) until we can go back. I absolutely love the Sheraton Maui and I can't possibly see why anyone would not feel the same way. Aloha!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Thank you for the compliments from your recent stay! I am very glad to hear that you loved our resort. I passed your comment about Laura on to her Manager, it's great she was able to assist you. Hopefully you can come and visit us again soon.

2,835 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

My husband & I stopped at Walmart near the airport for supplies before heading out to the Sheraton-an easy 30-40 min drive. There is also a Costco & K-Mart in the airport area. After a pit stop in Paia for fish tacos (as seen on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives"), we arrived at the resort just before sunset. The 1st day of valet parking is included in the $25/day+tax resort fee. If you don't get the car & self park after that, it's $5/day. You can pick up your room key right at valet parking, along with a shell lei greeting. We, however, requested a king bed and were given 2 fulls, so we headed to the front desk to see if we could make a change.

The young lady there (I think her name was Jenny or Lindsey) was wonderful. The hotel was at 95% occupancy but she was able to switch us to a king room after 1 night. Off we went to room 3428 for 1 night.

Now, the resort is really spread out-we were in bldg 3, 4th floor, room 28 which looked directly across the lawn to the ocean and Lanai. Spectacular!! The room itself was great, nice bathroom, the usual mirrored sliding door closet, flat panel tv & a large dresser which housed the mini-fridge plus drawers for clothes. The balcony was roomy enough for a small table & 2 chairs. Except for the 2 full beds, it was perfect. Day 2 we switched to room 4202 (bldg 4, 2nd floor, rm 2). This room is on the corner of bldg 4, directly over the spa, so it was angled a little. The view was partly towards the resort, and partly down the Kaanapali coast-still a lovely view with a roomy balcony. All the same room amenities but the smaller closet was inside the bathroom, which was sometimes inconvenient for 2 people. In either room, we never heard any other guests except when sitting on the balcony. Both rooms were nicely maintained. We met a couple who snagged Sheraton Preferred Guest status and were given a room in bldg 5 which looked out over the ocean to Molokai. It was a little trickier to get to, but they said the view was worth it.

Speaking of tricky to get to, the fitness center had all the basics once you found it (down the hall of bldg 4, up the elevator to the 8th floor, down the hall in bldg 6, to the elevator & then down to the 7th floor.) The wonderful discovery along the way was the rotunda on the 8th floor. Beautiful views, especially of the cliff diver at sunset. It is also the location of yoga & pilates classes some mornings ($10 fee).

The breakfast buffet ($27 pp if not included in your package) had a nice variety, but nothing to really rave about. Everything we tried was good, not great, but good. We ate dinner in the Black Rock restaurant (expensive but good), the Reef Lounge (less expensive, more casual & also good); snacks at both the Mai Tai & Cliff Diver Bars poolside (recommend the chicken skewers). Longboard Ale $7 per plastic cup or Coors Light $5; other beers in a can plus all the tropical drinks with umbrellas $10+.

We enjoyed the pool, which everyone agreed was on the chilly side of refreshing. It is generally around 4-5" deep, with shallower & deeper ends (for kids & scuba school). There's also a "lazy river" which meanders nicely around from one end to the other, a welcome change from the standard rectangular pool.

We took the shuttle (included in the mandatory resort fee) into Lahaina, which stopped at the Cannery Mall, Hilo Hatties & Lahaina Center (across the street from the Cannery Mall). There are grocery stores at the 1st & last stops and Front St. is just a stroll from Hilo Hatties.

The resort had Hawaiian cultural activities daily (around 11-12 noon) , poolside near the Cliff Dive bar, such as lei making & hula lessons. We took a "behind-the scenes" tour with executive chef Brian who taught us how to make quick crab wontons & decorative pineapple carving. Thanks, Chef!!

Whalers Village is a short stroll down the beachside sidewalk for more eating & shopping choices. The Westin is just beyond that.

As for the mandatory resort fee, which seems to be a growing trend in the industry, just include it in the room rate when comparing different resorts. We have no complaints, much to compliment and can't wait to return. Aloha!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Aloha! Thank you for the informative review. You really touched on a lot of the great things about our resort! I'm especially glad to hear you liked the Chef's Demo. Chef Ashlock really enjoys that activity each week. We hope you can visit us again soon.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

The location is amazing. How do they cut the grass so short? My husband, 2 year daughter and I bought my parents here. We walked along the beach to Whaler's Village, and everyone concedes the Sheraton is much more luxurious than the other hotels. Westin was nice, with their fat koi, black swans and pink flamingos. But the grounds were jammed packed with the pool and animals. Sheraton's grounds are spacious and wide, it was just beautiful. I just love the fact that the ocean is RIGHT THERE! I needed to impress my 72 yr old dad....and this did it.

I booked through Pleasant Holidays, and paid $1800 for two for air, hotel and car. When we arrive, we were told we were upgraded free from the Garden Terrance to Mountain View. I read some people got free upgrades from Garden to Ocean, but that didn't happen to us. I inquired about the ocean view upgrade, and was told it will be $150 extra per day for Bldg 6. We declined, and settled on the 3rd floor in Bldg 3 facing the mountains and golf course. The view was very nice, but of course, I was jealous of those who got the ocean upgrade. I really wonder how some can get the ocean upgrade for free.

Room service was good, up until the last day. They came in at 930am, and we said we were not ready. We put the card out, and from 2 to 6pm, we went to the beach. They never came to clean the room. When I called front desk, they immediately sent someone up to give us new towels...so that was ok.

The sitting area of Bldg 5 is amazing. I recommend everyone go there and sit and enjoy the view there. The parking structure near Bldg 1 and 2 is gross and old. We parked there the first night, and that location made my husband very disappointed. Dank and old. The 2nd day, we explored the better areas of the hotel, and he was much happier.

The pool is very nice. Not your regular rectangle pool, but a meandering one with a little slide. My parents loved it. I loved the fake waterfalls, and we took pics that made it look like I was at the real waterfall.

Black Rock is great for snorkeling. We saw giant turtles!!! My husband jumped off the Black Rock. I recommend you buy an underwater camera to film/capture everything!

I will recommend this hotel if you stay at Ka'anapali Beach. The other hotels except the Westin along the beach is old and gross...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Aloha. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. I love the picture of the turtle and the swimmer with their heads sticking out of the water! That's very fun. You'll be happy to hear that we are repainting our parking structure right now, so hopefully that will brighten it up. I hope you and your family can visit us again in the future!
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Maui for our 20th anniversary for 5 nights at the end of September. I got a great deal on Travelocity and booked the best hotel I could afford with the least expensive "garden view" room. Upon arrival we were given a free upgrade to an ocean view room! The only down side was that it had 2 queen beds instead of 1 king, but that was fine with us. The room and view were absolutely amazing, full view of the ocean on our own private balcony. We were on the 4th floor front and center. The grounds here are beautiful and the pool is incredible, a winding lagoon with waterfalls and even a small waterslide. The pool bar is so much fun, we felt like we were in paradise. The best part for us was the beach in front right on Black Rock. We brought our own snorkel gear and as soon as you step in the water, you feel as if you've stepped into a tropical aquarium. We saw tons of fish and farther out one day was a group of 4 stingrays that swam right under us! The next day we swam with giant sea turtles for hours right on the shore! Another great thing about this hotel was the trail that leads to Whalers Village just a short walk away. We ate there every night, The Hula Grill and Lailanis Grill were so affordable and right on the shore. Our biggest problem was we just didnt want to leave. We are already saving for our trip back, just gonna take a while because we are going to bring the kids next time! Thank You Sheraton for a trip of a lifetime!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent stay. It sounds like you had a great time. We've had a lot of guests who reported seeing spotted eagle rays nearby recently, so I'm glad you got to see them as well! We look forward to welcoming you, and your children, back.
Sc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Our Deluxe Ocean Front room was apparently the same one as the Jun20 review by ryan. It was ground level with the same problems plus it had two double beds--not queen. We had requested king and when we checked with the desk clerk she pretended to do something on the computer and said they are "all committed." I asked, since it was 2:00 PM if we waited until later in the day to check in could we get a king or queen and she said no with no apologies. This was our intial greeting to Maui. Valet service first day as resort fee indicates: we were told we could drive to our room--no offer for such. When we saw the ground level room with fence in front, just as the other reviewer noted, we were certain this could not be Deluxe Ocean Front. Finding our way to the beach, lobby, resturants from our room was a maze of finding the right floors on the elevators and going down hallways. We even asked for a map and directions the next morning and the desk clerk--not the same one--could not have been more accommodating. She changed our room to a king and three floors higher and the view was fanstastic. She even inquired during the week how our stay was. The desk clerk we had when we checked in apparently had not been trained in the Aloha Spirit as the first one and made us feel like second class citizens. From day two we enjoyed the winding pool lagoons, the beach and great snorkeling, the delicious breakfasts and the shuttle buses to Lahaina. The housekeeping and restaurant staff were very friendly and our second room was deluxe, even though it was still quite a distance from the other activities. The intial reception can make such a difference and we must agree that our first room was not deluxe.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Aloha Cathleen60. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. am sorry that your check in experience was less than favorable, but I am glad that our staff was able to find you a room that was more to your liking for the remainder of your stay. I've sent your comments on to our Front Office Manager because I agree, the first reception does make such a difference!
Natick, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton during our stay in Maui for 5 days. We had a great time here and were very impressed and pleased with the hotel. I had a very difficult time deciding where to stay, we were deciding between The Sheraton, The Westin and The Ritz. We went to both the other properties to look around and we were very happy with our choice.

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The grounds are beautiful, clean and well maintained. We were upgraded from our garden view room we had booked to a deluxe ocean view room. The room was great we were on the top floor and the view was wonderful. The only thing that seemed a little dated was the bathroom. It was large but the tub/shower wasn’t the greatest. I don’t remember what the price difference was between a garden view and ocean view but if we hadn’t been upgraded we probably would have been disappointed with the room. I didn’t think I cared about the view … I was totally wrong!

Breakfast was included in our room price so we got a deal on it. It was fairly good and it was convenient but I would not pay $25 per person for it. There wasn’t that much variety from day to day and food was never really hot. There are plenty of places in walking distance to eat so getting breakfast would not have been an issue.

The beach at the hotel was great and we really enjoyed snorkeling here. We saw tons of fish, sea turtles, octopus, sea anemones ect. Most of the coral is dead around here but that’s probably from all the people we saw walking all over it and grabbing onto it to get up on the rocks.

The only real negative I can say about this place is all the extra’s they want you to pay for. The $25 resort fee for use of the internet and gym is ridiculous I have never been to a hotel where this isn’t included in the cost of the room. The internet in the room isn’t even wireless! They also charge for use of chairs at the beach it’s a beach resort I’m not really sure why you have to pay for a chair. There rental equipment fee for floats and snorkel equipment is very high as well. You can buy your own for less than it would cost for you to rent for a day. I would have preferred to pay more money for the room upfront than have to pay resorts fees and to use chairs at the beach.

Overall would defiantly recommend this hotel to others, please feel free to contact me if you have specific questions about the hotel or Maui.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
PRJocelyn, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Aloha Blakely57, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your ocean view and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the resort charge and other rentals on property. Your comments have been forwarded to our management staff for consideration. Thank you again for the recommendation, we really appreciate it.
Harrisburg, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

My wife and I spent our 12th anniverary here and first of all the hotel was in great shape and was not crowded. We had a 1st fl deluxe ocean front room in building 6. Now building 6 is the furthest building on the resort so if you are looking to be in the mix of everything this is not the building however this building has the best view of the ocean, Lanai and Molokia islands. So if you do not mind walking then this should not be a problem. Breakfast was plentiful with hot and cold choices. Staff was attentive and friendly. The beach and Black Rock was also a great way to relax and snorkel, swim and dive ("jump") off of Black Rock. It was windy the first day and the water was quite rough so be careful if you are not a good swimmer. All in all I would stay here again, in the off season.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your 12 anniversary, and thank you for choosing the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa as your location to celebrate. We really appreciate your positive feedback from your stay.

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!